Garmin City Navigator .img file and MapSource

scotthsi

I have a Garmin City Navigator (North America) 2010 street map file that has no associated codes or is locked to a single GPS. I copied the file on to an SD card for my 60CSx and it works and routes just fine. I have an older Street Pilot 2720 and the file structure cannot be accessed via USB like an external hard drive. Can I have MapSource load this .img file so I can hook up the 2720 and "send to GPS"? Thanks in advance.

I have a Garmin City Navigator (North America) 2010 street map file that has no associated codes or is locked to a single GPS. I copied the file on to an SD card for my 60CSx and it works and routes just fine. I have an older Street Pilot 2720 and the file structure cannot be accessed via USB like an external hard drive. Can I have MapSource load this .img file so I can hook up the 2720 and "send to GPS"? Thanks in advance.

Just ran across this problem yesterday and figured I would have to call tech support for the answer. Not ready to call yet because I first have to download the upgrade from version 8 to 10.

How did you get an .img file without the associated codes? I tried sending the City Navigator that came with the Street Pilot 2720 to my Colorado and found out it needed to be unlocked after turning on my unit after the download. Wish I would have known that before spending 2 hours downloading the file.

Looks like Lee_rimar got it right.

I just got off the phone with Garmin and they confirmed that each map purchase is specific to the device. I was able to get a free upgrade to City Navigator 2010 but the device (Street Pilot) has to be attached in order to do the download. Tech support stated that it would upgrade the City Navigator on the hard drive (MapSource) at the same time that it upgraded the unit.

I'm glad I didn't specifically ask how to get an unassociated .img file to install on Street Pilot.

It was disappointing to find out that you have to pay full price for the unlock code to add to another device.

Edited by CentralCArn