'Team' Caching

rborch

Geocaching is a fun past time. Smileys are the reward for a successful hunt, and your personal signature/stamp or whatever on a cache log is proof that you were physcially at the cache and found it. Is it acceptable for groups of cachers to team hunt an area in several cars, arrive at the cache site separatey, use a group sticker (to save time and space on the cache log, or so I'm told) and then each member of said group hunt to log the cache online as a personal find? Have any on this forum gone on group hunts and done this? Since I've never gone to a geoevent nor do I belong to a geoclub, I've no idea what is considered the right thing. Recently a group of out-of-area cachers (their personal area being a two hour drive from me) swooped into town, 12 strong in 3 or 4 cars and claimed a total of 93 caches in a single day. Some of those finds were made while en route to my rural area. All logged online their find of my caches here, but my cache log sheets do not show their individual signings. There is a group stamp on them instead. Several references in the various online log posts mention swarming over one of the more difficult hides before finally being found. On his particular one, I'm convinced they were all there at the same time. But doesn't this type of group hunt also compromise the stealth issue of caching? For me, caching is a personal fun thing and I know that every time I post a find, it's because I actually did find it! But that's me. Any thoughts on this subject? Thanks.

Geocaching is a fun past time. Smileys are the reward for a successful hunt, and your personal signature/stamp or whatever on a cache log is proof that you were physcially at the cache and found it. Is it acceptable for groups of cachers to team hunt an area in several cars, arrive at the cache site separatey, use a group sticker (to save time and space on the cache log, or so I'm told) and then each member of said group hunt to log the cache online as a personal find? Have any on this forum gone on group hunts and done this? Since I've never gone to a geoevent nor do I belong to a geoclub, I've no idea what is considered the right thing. Recently a group of out-of-area cachers (their personal area being a two hour drive from me) swooped into town, 12 strong in 3 or 4 cars and claimed a total of 93 caches in a single day. Some of those finds were made while en route to my rural area. All logged online their find of my caches here, but my cache log sheets do not show their individual signings. There is a group stamp on them instead. Several references in the various online log posts mention swarming over one of the more difficult hides before finally being found. On his particular one, I'm convinced they were all there at the same time. But doesn't this type of group hunt also compromise the stealth issue of caching? For me, caching is a personal fun thing and I know that every time I post a find, it's because I actually did find it! But that's me. Any thoughts on this subject? Thanks.

My opinion is that people cache the way that makes them happy. If a group goes out and caches, they usually set their own rules before the hunt begins. What is right and what is wrong? Well thats up to them.

My feelings is that if a group is caching together, then they log together. If a member goes off on a different hunt and finds a cache alone, then they alone logs the find.

The great thing about geocaching is its a game with few rules for the way you play. There are so many variations that can be added to the way a person plays their game that its suited for almost anyone.

I did a group hunt, a 24 hour event with NEFGA, last year...2 vehicles, about 10 people. We made up a group name to use for the day and used it when we signed the log. No stickers (I hate them and I'm glad we didn't choose to use one). I think we found about 190 caches. Most of us indicated the name was used on the log in our on-line logs...so it was pretty obvious what we were doing.

My opinion is that people cache the way that makes them happy. If a group goes out and caches, they usually set their own rules before the hunt begins. What is right and what is wrong? Well thats up to them.

My feelings is that if a group is caching together, then they log together. If a member goes off on a different hunt and finds a cache alone, then they alone logs the find.

The great thing about geocaching is its a game with few rules for the way you play. There are so many variations that can be added to the way a person plays their game that its suited for almost anyone.

I did a group hunt, a 24 hour event with NEFGA, last year...2 vehicles, about 10 people. We made up a group name to use for the day and used it when we signed the log. No stickers (I hate them and I'm glad we didn't choose to use one). I think we found about 190 caches. Most of us indicated the name was used on the log in our on-line logs...so it was pretty obvious what we were doing.

We've used this approach as well. When you have a big group caching together, it's just easier to use a team name for the day....otherwise you'd fill up the logbooks on all the micros and nanos :laughing:

Geocaching is a fun past time.

This pretty much answers all the questions you're going to have about what is wrong and what is right about geocaching. And trust me, if you get into this deeper you will find there will be many. See, geocaching isn't even a game, because there are no rules. It certainly isn't a competion. The simplest way to think about it is "it's just something people do..." And everyone does it differently. Once you grasp this concept it all falls into place.

So for the situation you describe, you asked if it is acceptable. Well after reading the above paragraph, of course it's acceptable!

Acceptable to you? Who cares... doesn't matter

Acceptable to Bob? Who cares.... doesn't matter

Acceptable to Mary? Who cares.... doesn't matter

As long as the group finding those caches is enjoying a fun past time and they all agree about how they go about it, then it's all good.

If you apply this mantra to the following scenarios you'll love geocaching. If you don't you'll spending a lot of time on these forums bickering about things that mean NOTHING.

- Can you log a find for your own cache?

- Can you sign the outside of a container?

- Can you log the same cache twice? Many variations on this one?

- Should events count as finds?

- Should you get a find for a cache you trip over but weren't looking for?

- Should you get a find for a multi-cache were you figured out the final spot without completing all the stages?

- Should you phone a friend and have them tell you exactly where a cache is and then log the find? Happens all the time.

- Should you claim FTF on a cache that you watch the owner place and then pick up and sign the log book?

- Should you claim FTF on a cache known only to you (by a friend) and then they publish after you've already signed the log book even though you found it using traditional methods?

BTW, this is just a short list and only a beginning. The reason it is like this is because....reread paragraph one. Geocaching has no rules. And when there is no rule book, people will see the pastime differently.

I'm certainly not telling you "how to" enjoy your pastime but I'd bet it would be a lot more enjoyable for most if they didn't worry about what others do. Over time you will develop your "own" set of rules and have fun with it.

For example yesterday, I went to a cache that was noted for be buried in poison ivy. I'm dreadfully allergic to the stuff. On the way there I was contemplating breaking my "rule" of not logging a find if I don't sign the log book. I was thinking maybe in this case I would make an exception, if I just simply saw the container. It turned out to be not that bad and I ended up signing the log book but.....you never know.

Edited by Morning Dew
Geocaching is a fun past time.

This pretty much answers all the questions you're going to have about what is wrong and what is right about geocaching. And trust me, if you get into this deeper you will find there will be many. See, geocaching isn't even a game, because there are no rules. It certainly isn't a competion. The simplest way to think about it is "it's just something people do..." And everyone does it differently. Once you grasp this concept it all falls into place.

So for the situation you describe, you asked if it is acceptable. Well after reading the above paragraph, of course it's acceptable!

Acceptable to you? Who cares... doesn't matter

Acceptable to Bob? Who cares.... doesn't matter

Acceptable to Mary? Who cares.... doesn't matter

As long as the group finding those caches is enjoying a fun past time and they all agree about how they go about it, then it's all good.

If you apply this mantra to the following scenarios you'll love geocaching. If you don't you'll spending a lot of time on these forums bickering about things that mean NOTHING.

- Can you log a find for your own cache?

- Can you sign the outside of a container?

- Can you log the same cache twice? Many variations on this one?

- Should events count as finds?

- Should you get a find for a cache you trip over but weren't looking for?

- Should you get a find for a multi-cache were you figured out the final spot without completely all the stages?

- Should you phone a friend and have them tell you exactly where a cache is and then log the find? Happens all the time.

- Should you claim FTF on a cache that you watch the owner place and then pick up and sign the log book?

- Should you claim FTF on a cache known only to you (by a friend) and then they publish after you've already signed the log book even though you found it using traditional methods.

BTW, this is just a short list and only a beginning. The reason it is like this is because....reread paragraph one. Geocaching has no rules. And when their is no rule book, people will see the pastime differently.

I'm certainly not telling you "how to" enjoy your pastime but I'd bet it would be a lot more enjoyable for most if they didn't worry about what others do.

Well said....Bravo!

No rule book?

No rules?

Who cares how you play?

Hmmm... Let's explore that:

• No rule against taking a cache with me.
  • No rule against emptying the cache of all contents.
  • No rule against taking trackables and tossing them in the trash.
  • No rule against urinating or defecating in the cache.
  • No rule against spray painting the cache blaze orange or flagging the way to the hide.
  • No rule against spoiling the cache for everyone.

No, I think the cache owner cares how you play. I think the future seekers care how you play. I know I'd be more than a little PO'ed if someone with a "no rules" mentality came along and compromised my cache. Do we really need a rulebook to guide how we play so we are kind to the cache owner, the land owner, and those who come after us?

There are far too many participants who only care about themselves and think anything goes as long as they get their precious little yellow face.

But doesn't this type of group hunt also compromise the stealth issue of caching?

It does. A large group where there is rarely a large group draws attention. Simple as that.

Additionally, many of our caches are in locations that can only handle light traffic. A large group is certainly not desired to be trampling the area, even if it's just grass. Not good in the eyes of the land stewards.

I've always signed in when in a group. I've never been part of an adhoc team that signed a single team name and then individually online. That's just me. I don't like the practice, but will accept it if someone in this adhoc team posts who all was in that team at the time.

One last thing. Of those 12 who claimed finds, how many were really in on the attempt to find each of those cache? Cheesy way to rack up numbers if you ask me.

If they want to do that, why not? Group caching and individual logging of finds regardless of who actually uncovers the cache is considered acceptable by most.

My personal ethic when part of a group is that I have to be actively involved in the hunt for me to log a find.

If I'm bringing up the rear and the cache is already out and being signed, or if I'm chatting with someone and watching everybody else hunt the cache, I don't log a find. That works for me. Not saying it's what

everybody should do. Do what feels right to you.

No rule book?

No rules?

Who cares how you play?

Hmmm... Let's explore that:

• No rule against taking a cache with me.
  • No rule against emptying the cache of all contents.
  • No rule against taking trackables and tossing them in the trash.
  • No rule against urinating or defecating in the cache.
  • No rule against spray painting the cache blaze orange or flagging the way to the hide.
  • No rule against spoiling the cache for everyone.

No, I think the cache owner cares how you play. I think the future seekers care how you play. I know I'd be more than a little PO'ed if someone with a "no rules" mentality came along and compromised my cache. Do we really need a rulebook to guide how we play so we are kind to the cache owner, the land owner, and those who come after us?

There are far too many participants who only care about themselves and think anything goes as long as they get their precious little yellow face.

Well said....Bravo!

:laughing:

Do we really need a rulebook to guide how we play so we are kind to the cache owner, the land owner, and those who come after us?

Of course not. Most people understand that geocaching relies on people who find a cache doing certain things like replacing the cache as found, trading fairly, and handling trackables properly. There are instructions given on Geocaching.com and repeated on other websites and in book on geocaching. Of course sometimes a newbie or a muggle finds a cache and hasn't read the instructions or even what is written on the stash note. So sometimes the cache is not put back right, or even taken. Sometimes they take from the cache and do not leave anything in return. They may take trackables, and not realizing what they are, keep them or later throw them in the trash. Hopefully they don't urinate or defecate in the cache, but this has been reported. If these things are done in ignorance, we are mostly able to forgive them. After all it is just a cache.

There aren't firm rules for is when you can log a "Found It" online. Instead some have take the instructions to sign your name in the physical log as meaning that you must sign the log to claim an online find. I prefer to view the physical log as a means for verifying online finds that appear to be bogus. It can be argued that falsely claiming a find online is harmful as the cache owner and other cachers will have a false sense as to whether or not the cache is there to be found. Cache owners are given the responsibility to check for and delete bogus logs. But for a remote cache or where someone has a lot of hides that are regularly found, it may be difficult to do this. For the most part we see geoachers as honest in their logs and the owner and others can often detect which logs are suspicious. There isn't a need to check every log.

Beyond this responsibility, a cache owner just can't go deleting logs for any old reason. They may feel that a group of finders shouldn't all get credit if they put a sticker with all the names in it. They may feel that someone didn't use enough stealth and compromised their cache and therefore delete their log. I'm not sure that if an owner were to delete a log for one of these reasons, the finder wouldn't have a claim that this is an ALR and get their log reinstated. Its probably better to live and let live rather than to enforce what you perceive as a rule by deleting logs. Of course TPTB may change the guidelines and tell cache owners they may delete logs for these reasons. Until then if some pisses in your cache, they can still log a find as long as they signed the log book.