Garmin Venture Cx accuracy

janeydob

I have recently bought a second-hand Garmin Venture Cx as my first GPS, but I think it has a problem with accuracy.

I have tried to find four or five caches now and it has never got closer to zero than about 80 ft - whichever direction I go in. I went and did a bit of a multi-cache this afternoon where I actually knew where one of the answers was, and it was telling me I had to go 800 yards back the way I had just come.

I have taken the coordinates of my house this evening and compared it with the coordinates given on Google Maps, and it is about 600 ft off ...

Are there some settings I need to adjust? Am I doing something really basic wrong ... or could there be something wrong with the GPS?

It is getting very frustrating!

I'd be really grateful for any help or suggestions.

You have the wrong datum set in gps settings. Should be set to WGS84

You are a hero - thank you so much. Having changed the settings, my GPS has today taken me to work, my children's school and home with complete accuracy!! (Although I got some funny looks in the process!).

I had hoped it would be down to something I had to change rather than a problem with the equipment.

Many thanks again.

Jane