Data transfer

Wrights179

I am new to the sport and my families first couple of finds where found using my iPhone 3Gs. I did the research and bought a Magellan Triton 500 with Geocache function. The problem I am having is I cannot transfer the Geocache info from the website to the GPS unit via the USB, any help would be greatly appreciated

Did you install Magellans Vantage point software?

Are you using Pocket Queries or trying to direct transfer a single cache to the GPSr? I don't think Magellan accepts the "send to GPS" function :)

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have installed the software, but still no luck. when I click on the tab "send to GPS" a small window comes up and there are only two GPS units listed Garmin and DeLorme, so I guess the answer to your question is direct transfer a single cache to the GPS. I have no idea what a "Pocket Queries" is, please feel free to enlighten me.

Thanks again for the help

Did you install Magellans Vantage point software?

Are you using Pocket Queries or trying to direct transfer a single cache to the GPSr? I don't think Magellan accepts the "send to GPS" function :)

Thanks for the speedy reply. I have installed the software, but still no luck. when I click on the tab "send to GPS" a small window comes up and there are only two GPS units listed Garmin and DeLorme, so I guess the answer to your question is direct transfer a single cache to the GPS. I have no idea what a "Pocket Queries" is, please feel free to enlighten me.

Thanks again for the help

The "Send to GPS" button on the cache pages only works with Garmin and DeLorme unit because those companies created the software plug-ins that allow data to be sent from websites to their compatible GPS units.

Magellan has yet to do so. You must use Magellan's Vantage Point software.

The "Send to GPS" button on the cache pages only works with Garmin and DeLorme unit because those companies created the software plug-ins that allow data to be sent from websites to their compatible GPS units.

Magellan has yet to do so. You must use Magellan's Vantage Point software.

This is why my next GPSr won't be a Magellan.

Here...

You have to use Magellan's VantagePoint software.

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files. If you are not a premium member, follow the same procedure using the .loc files, except for the use of pocket queries; and you will not get the info listed at the bottom, only the location of the caches..

You can use either step 2a, 2b or 2c to get the caches from the website in VP.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx)

2a. Upload the .gpx file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the library tab, select Import to import the file into VP; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

2b. To import multiple gpx files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx files and open VP; click the library tab, then select geocaches(Treasure Chest icon). Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want; then drag them into VP

2c. Create a Pocket Query; unzip zip it; then import in into VP.

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb; then from VP, click the MyGps tab. Then Click Transfer From PC to My GPS on the left where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton is…

1. Name

2. Cache Type

3. Coordinates

4. Distance from current location

5. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description

Changes for V1.60…

Note: VP just did an upgrade to V1.60. Changes are... On step 2 the Library tab is gone, click My Journal on the left side instead of the Library tab. In step3 the MyGPS tab is gone and the icons are at the top. The section that says Sync is where you will find the Transfer From PC to My GPS icon

I have a Garmin Venture and loaded the plug ins last fall. Got all my GPS transfer just fine until recently. I am not a premium member. I have done all the updates on my unit and reinstalled the plug-ins but to no avail. When I run the test page, it claims that everything is ok with my Garmin and ready to go. What has changed?

I have a Triton 2000 and when I use the VP software to transfer cache data I've noticed this.

start the VP software up first, then plug in the triton, wait for it to boot. You should get an option list on the triton that includes "connect to pc", "power only" and maybe som other options. If you don't choose in 6 seconds, it will use the power only selection by default. Use the circular direction ring to move the selection up or down to highlight the "connect to PC" option then press the enter button on the triton to connect.

Then you can use the Sync button to synchronize the data

If you start VP avter the triton is connected, you can manually start the connection from the menu ( Menu -> View -> Settings -> Connectivity -> Enter button) to get the connection list

Edited by GClouse