1 month in - Got GPSr, now want PDA for paperless...

TheDobbins

Hi fellow cachers!

I'm now wanting to go paperless, but am happy with my Legend HCx.

Met someone who uses a PDA to hold details on caches (from a pocket query?) including Description/Clue, etc, so no need for paper printouts.

So, can any of you point me to a cheap way of going paperless (e.g. PDA on Ebay, software to use, etc?).

nb: I have downloaded GSAK and am a premium member so can use PQs ok.

I'm just wary of buying a cheap PDA on ebay and it not being able to be used.

Any advice gratefully received!

Edited by TheDobbins

Budget, PC knowledge, etc,. etc.?

Quite frankly you are requesting "How long is a piece of string?"

To be used solely for geocaching?

Palm or Windows based?

I am sure you will be inundated with various people's opinion on what "works for them" - you will have to figure out what you really want.............

(PS Before you spend lots of money remember that the majority of Geocachers give up the sport after a year or so.............)

Edited by Lost in Space

Hi fellow cachers!

Met someone who uses a PDA to hold details on caches (from a pocket query?) including Description/Clue, etc, so no need for paper printouts.

So, can any of you point me to a cheap way of going paperless (e.g. PDA on Ebay, software to use, etc?).

Check out a Palm m500 PDA. I use CacheMate on mine. There are CacheMate alternatives, but I have never felt the need to try them.

I personally would try for a Windows Mobile based PDA as then it opens up the possibility to use Memory MAp with linking to a text file containing all the cache notes/hint and last few logs. I use that set up and use a program to fit the Icons into MMap and link to a full set of text files. Plus of course you can also install MultiCalc for doing Multi Caches and working out the/translating the cords.

I started out paperless using my mobile phone. Just as long as your phone can read a TXT file then you should be able to use that.

Just remembered, my car GPS is used for my paperless caching.

So maybe worth looking around to see what you use and see what you can make good for paper less.

Edited by andyfee
Hi fellow cachers!

Go to PDAs in eBay and search for Palm. Cachemate runs on Palm 3.0 and later. Check the O/S version in the listing, though you'll be hard pushed to find anything older. The rest is down to taste and common sense. :anibad:

You can use SpoilerSync too (free), but I would start simple.

I did look at a Java app called GeoShrine a while ago that managed cache listings. As most mobile phones are Java enabled these days it could be an even cheaper (free) solution.

Finally, if you search the forums for "Paperless" you will find hundreds of threads, many asking the exact same question as yours. Palm O/S PDAs are outdated, so the answers should still be relevant.

Edited by SidAndBob

HP Ipaq rx5720.

Superb. In-built SIRF3 GPS, will happily run Memory Map and enable you to go full paperless. The GPS signal strength is as accurate as any GPS on the market.

At £80 (second hand) on Ebay, it's a bargain.

Probably the most common caching PDA out there. It does the lot - can't remember the last time I fired up my Garmin, much as I loved it.

Can echo PopUpPirate's recommendation for an ipaq.

I bought a Mio a few years ago after it was recommended on here, forced myself to use it for a few months, then eventually consigned it to the desk top drawer and got a colorado instead. My partner has an ipaq for caching, and the build quality is tons better in comparission to the Mio. Less prone to crashing and the battery life is better too. You get what you pay for! :)

As for software, memory map is a must! You can also use something like cache mate, although I tend not to bother and just download the cache details into the properties of the cache in MM - fine for most traditional caches.

Can echo PopUpPirate's recommendation for an ipaq.

I bought a Mio a few years ago after it was recommended on here, forced myself to use it for a few months, then eventually consigned it to the desk top drawer and got a colorado instead. My partner has an ipaq for caching, and the build quality is tons better in comparission to the Mio. Less prone to crashing and the battery life is better too. You get what you pay for! :)

As for software, memory map is a must! You can also use something like cache mate, although I tend not to bother and just download the cache details into the properties of the cache in MM - fine for most traditional caches.

Have to just add - mine's the Ipaq hx2490b - with a blue tooth GPS.

Bigger screen than a mio - with far better resolution :D

The GPS clips on my bag (or my belt - or the dashboard) - meaning I can stick the pda in my pocket out of harms way, without losing signal.

Battery lasts 6-8 hours, usually - long enough for a full days caching....and with a car charger it'll last 2 weeks.

Edited by keehotee

I've been offered an HP Ipaq rx5700 but as I already have a Garmin Oregon 300 I'm not sure whether to or not.

The Garmin is fine and I use TalkyToaster's maps which, of course, are excellent but I find the lack of detail in terms of public footpaths can be a little frustrating. I already have Memory Map installed on my home PC and so when I go out in the country caching I usually print out the area I'm going to be visiting so I know exactly where I need to go.

Presumably I would be able to install Memory Map on the Ipaq via an SD card; if so then it might be a decent purchase.....yes?

I've been offered an HP Ipaq rx5700 but as I already have a Garmin Oregon 300 I'm not sure whether to or not.

The Garmin is fine and I use TalkyToaster's maps which, of course, are excellent but I find the lack of detail in terms of public footpaths can be a little frustrating. I already have Memory Map installed on my home PC and so when I go out in the country caching I usually print out the area I'm going to be visiting so I know exactly where I need to go.

Presumably I would be able to install Memory Map on the Ipaq via an SD card; if so then it might be a decent purchase.....yes?

That would work - but if all you're using the Ipaq for is to look at Memory Map, you might find the batteries on these last a little longer....

Thanks Plipey and everyone else for all the suggestions. I've decided that paperless is definitely the way to go, but for now I've gone with the interim solution of Pocket Queries into GSAK and then onto my Sony Ericsson K800i via GeoShrine (there are some issues with text going off the screen, but it will suffice for now!).

Am looking forward to exploring the various paperless options. Have got an iphone/ipod touch solution simmering away, but am also not dismissing the PDA option either. Will definitely come back to this thread, but it's great to see that there are so many different options available.

Thanks again :D