Ignore List

Stokesy

At a recent event, I happened to mention that I had 107 caches on my "Ignore List", and the general response was some light-hearted mickey-taking, as I seemed to be the only one using it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses it!

Things I add are:

- Caches in front gardens or that are over-looked by houses

- Caches I've attempted and failed to find, and have no desire to try again

- Caches that I've driven to, and decided not to attempt

- Extreme caches that I'm unlikey to attempt.

The main reason for this is that I do quite a bit of "random" caching, and don't want to get inadvertently drawn into a cache that I don't want to do.

I do review my list from time to time, in fact, I've got it down to 87 now, and have since completed one of the caches on the list.

Question is.....do you use the list? and what goes on it, and why?

There has no doubt been a thread about this before, but with all the recent discussion about "quality caches" maybe ignore lists are being used more now than they were before?

Yes.

Not as many on it as you have. My list includes a 5/5 that is 3 miles from home and requires you to adsail down the rock face. Dangling down a rock face on a bit of string is not my idea of fun :anibad: it looks good but not for me.

More normally caches that I do not like the location, due to rubbish, or where they are too close to people's houses. If I see a cache being mentioned in forums I will check it out and again will add it as we tend to travel all over so even if its miles away it gets added just in case we are driving past. More recently I have started added pointless caches where the cache page says nothing and there is no reason to visit the location.

We browse more local caches and if in the case of one virtually everyone said it was a dogs toilet and most had taken the evidence home on their shoes, so that was added as well.

Edit for mixing my words into each other!

Edited by gushoneybun

I wish they would actually improve how easy it is to use.

For example id like to ignore all caches of certain types all the time not just iff i selected ignore on

The current system relies on individually clicking each one which takes an age.

We have quite a lot on our ignore list its usefull but not easy to maintain / look after we sometimes end up having part of a large series on ignore and have to manually find it etc.

I use it. I've got a cache near me that is placed to never be found. It's placed in a rubbish location with rubbish in an uninspiring location. All to see if the numbers people can resist.

If the cache was miles away I might have just been able to mentally ignore it. However, this was destined to be on my nearest unfound list. I put on my ignore list. Ta-da! Problem solved! :anibad:

I've often though of using it, but when I tried to once, nothing seemed to change. The cache still appeared on the map, in the list of my nearest caches and in my pocket queries, so what exactly does ignore do?

er... dunno. Because when I ignored the cache, it DID disappear from my nearest unfound, does not appear in my queries and doesn't appear on the map.

Time to try again? Maybe there was a coding problem on the website at the time???

I've often though of using it, but when I tried to once, nothing seemed to change. The cache still appeared on the map, in the list of my nearest caches and in my pocket queries, so what exactly does ignore do?

er... dunno. Because when I ignored the cache, it DID disappear from my nearest unfound, does not appear in my queries and doesn't appear on the map.

Time to try again? Maybe there was a coding problem on the website at the time???

Tried again and it works! Great, I've finally got rid of some off the map that have been bugging me for ages.

The next question is - how can you view your Ignore List? Can't find it anywhere...

Got 265 on mine and growing. Wonder if there is a limit. Use it just as a convienient way to remove caches from my queries that I don't want to seek. It could definitely be better as I have to manually add caches to it which takes ages.

It gets used far less now I've moved away from my old cache rich stomping ground in the midlands.

Philip

Edited by pklong

Tried again and it works! Great, I've finally got rid of some off the map that have been bugging me for ages.

The next question is - how can you view your Ignore List? Can't find it anywhere...

Yes it is a bookmark listing so check under bookmarks.

It's actually a bookmark list (called Ignore List) - you should see it in your bookmark manager :anibad:

My list includes a 5/5 that is 3 miles from home and requires you to absail down the rock face. Dangling down a rock face on a bit of string is not my idea of fun :anibad: it looks good but not for me.

Hmm staffordshire, 5/5, rock face.

Is it this one ? Dont look down

There is no need to abseil here's a Nine year old retrieving it. :o:D

Thats the one. I like my feet on the floor.

I did use it last week when some caches nearby were just placed in the

stupidest of places, but then the hiders started to place them

in better places so thought I would remove them from the ignore list and give them a go.

Then this morning the same cacher logged a FTF on there own cache

forgetting they had placed the cache as their alter ego (sp)

And they told us not to cheat on their cache page. Yeh !!!