Which Map software for my laptop/ GPS?

Initium

I have a need to print maps.

I have been using MapTech software but the laptop that it was on no longer exists and the CD's are no where to be found.

I'm prepared to purchase something for this new machine and when looking at the Maptech website the standard edition does what I need it to do BUT............. it is windows XP only according to the system requirements thay have posted.

The Terrain Navigator Pro is Vista compatible however its over $270. And frankly it has a lot more features than what I really need from the program.

Anyone have any suggestions on a GOOD product that will be compatible with my Garmin Vista HCx and my HP laptop running Vista Premium?

As a rule I need exactly what the MapTech standard edition does as a minimum with out getting to absurd price wise.

Ed Fernley

Edited by Initium

I would suggest you take a look at Garmin's Mapsource program. With it you can load maps onto your Vista. You can transfer waypoints, tracks and routes between your Vista and Mapsource on your laptop, both directions. You can print maps with routes on them and other such things.

Check this discussion for a tip on how to install Garmin's MapSource program to use with the many free Garmin-compatible maps that are available on the internet. I'm talking about the legal free ones that are available from places like GPSFileDepot, etc., not the illegal ones that are available from various sources.

Of course you can just buy a set of maps from Garmin and you will get the MapSource program included on the DVD with the maps. Just make sure you buy the DVD distribution and NOT the SD card or Download versions.

Ooops, almost forgot ... MapSource runs fine under both Vista and Windows 7.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

I would suggest you take a look at Garmin's Mapsource program. With it you can load maps onto your Vista. You can transfer waypoints, tracks and routes between your Vista and Mapsource on your laptop, both directions. You can print maps with routes on them and other such things.

Check this discussion for a tip on how to install Garmin's MapSource program to use with the many free Garmin-compatible maps that are available on the internet. I'm talking about the legal free ones that are available from places like GPSFileDepot, etc., not the illegal ones that are available from various sources.

Of course you can just buy a set of maps from Garmin and you will get the MapSource program included on the DVD with the maps. Just make sure you buy the DVD distribution and NOT the SD card or Download versions.

Ooops, almost forgot ... MapSource runs fine under both Vista and Windows 7.

...ken...

I have mapsource with the topo maps for my region.

And I know I can print the selected maps but I need them to have grid lines when printed. Does Mapsource do this? if so how do I make that happen?

Ed

I have a need to print maps.

I have been using MapTech software but the laptop that it was on no longer exists and the CD's are no where to be found.

I'm prepared to purchase something for this new machine and when looking at the Maptech website the standard edition does what I need it to do BUT............. it is windows XP only according to the system requirements thay have posted.

The Terrain Navigator Pro is Vista compatible however its over $270. And frankly it has a lot more features than what I really need from the program.

Anyone have any suggestions on a GOOD product that will be compatible with my Garmin Vista HCx and my HP laptop running Vista Premium?

As a rule I need exactly what the MapTech standard edition does as a minimum with out getting to absurd price wise.

Ed Fernley

Which maps?

If it's locked Garmin .img files I don't know of anything that will open them except Mapsource. Will Terrain Navigator print locked Garmin .imgs?

If it's unlocked .img, or .mp files, MapEdit can open them and save them as OziExplorer files you can print as raster graphics. I don't know more about OziExplorer than that except that it costs 95USD and comes with some free trial downloads.

And, in light of the previous two paragraphs, by "compatible" do you mean anything more than tracks and waypoints?

Global Mapper costs more than 270USD, and it won't open .img files, although it will open and write .mps.

Edited by seldom_sn

this site will draw a map for you. It's called GPS visualizer and will let you superimpose your track on a google map. It's what I use to map our hunting lease.

Hmmmm that's very curious.

So then the theory there is that I could select the map show it as a USGS topo.

Save it to my laptop and then print it for my students.

I'm gpoing to have to give this a trial run.

Can I save it as a 1:24k?

Or is it preset to some other dimension?

Ultimately the goal is to be able to print a map sheet to 1:24k so that they can use protractors and or compass for land navigation training (minus a GPS being available).

Ed