New type of cache?

Hollysdaddy

My wife and I where watching the "History Channel" and a thought came to us. A "History Cache". It could run somewhat like a Earthcach, but all based on places, or events made famous through history.

A suggestion could be the great Pestigo, Wi fire. There is a grave site there that has only unknown bodys in it. How meany etc. One could take a picture and post it etc. Another could be in Gettysburg Pa The houses there that where standing at the time of the battle have brass plaques on the front or on the doors. You could e-mail the enfo to the cache owner etc.

This is just a idia.

What do others think???

kmhiker :)

:anibad: Read what I wrote!!! I said like as in for example. Waypoints are new to me. Then why have ie VIRTUAL CACHES??? Or EARTH CACHES????? Are they also WAYPOINTS!

Already done at http://www.Waymarking.com/

The Pestigo fire museum is already listed. http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3Z76_...igo_Fire_Museum

Lots of them in Gettysburg, too. http://www.Waymarking.com/wm/search.aspx?f...d=gettysburg+pa

The way so far (2) are talking We should do away with Virtual, Earth, etc and move them to "waypoints"

There are no new virtual caches, they were deprecated several years ago (no new ones may be placed, old ones can remain). Waymarking is the replacement.

Earthcaches are meant to have significant educational value attached to them.

Waymarks are little more than "go to this place and take a picture." Many of them have no historical or educational value at all (a generic post office, for example). Personally I don't see the allure of them at all.

The way so far (2) are talking We should do away with Virtual, Earth, etc and move them to "waypoints"

Waymarks.

In fact Virtual caches and EarthCaches should be moved to Waymarking as they are a better fit there. They aren't moved for a variety of reason.

Virtuals were all over the place when they were allowed. That was part of the problem - they might be an historic site, one of geological significance, or just a funny sign or roadside curiosity. There was a lot of debate over what would make something "Wow" enough to warrant a virtual cache being placed there. Often people would hide a virtual cache where they could have hidden a physical cache nearby or used the virtual as a waypoint in a multi-cache that ended with a physical cache. By not allowing new virtual caches, geocachers are forced to do what they should have always been doing. Because virtuals have no "natural" Waymarking category moving them en masse to Waymarking is problematic, so instead they are grandfathered on Geocaching.com

EarthCaches are actually administered by EarthCache.org. This is a separate website sponsored by the Geological Society of America. They have an agreement with Groundspeak to be listed on Geocaching.com. When Waymarking was intially launched, Earthcache.org agreed to moving EarthCaches to Waymarking. New EarthCache were listed there and plans were put in place to move the existing EarthCaches. But the EarthCachers rebelled and insisted that EarthCaches continued to be listed on Geoaching.com. I don't know the specifics, but my guess is that EarthCache.org pulled out the agreement with Groundspeak and said that they had to keep EarthCaches on Geocaching.com.

The idea of HistoryCaches, as a counterpoint to EarthCaches, is brought up from time to time. It would have to entail an organization that promotes learning about history and visiting historic locations establishing such a cache type and getting Groundspeak to agree to list them. There will likely to be very strict guidelines as to what locations were historic enough, whether a plaque or marker is sufficient or must there be some artifacts to see, and something about visiting that would demonstrate a educational component. It would be very difficult to set up and probably harder to define than what is geologically significant enough to be an EarthCache. So my guess is it will never happen.

On the other hand there are tons of history related Waymarking categories that will allow almost any historic site to be waymarked.

:) Now I understand, and I thankyou for your expanation. It now makes sence. Now that I played around the "Waypoint" site my wife and I have a whole new world that opened up to . Again thank you for your help.

Waymarks.

In fact Virtual caches and EarthCaches should be moved to Waymarking as they are a better fit there. They aren't moved for a variety of reason.

Virtuals were all over the place when they were allowed. That was part of the problem - they might be an historic site, one of geological significance, or just a funny sign or roadside curiosity. There was a lot of debate over what would make something "Wow" enough to warrant a virtual cache being placed there. Often people would hide a virtual cache where they could have hidden a physical cache nearby or used the virtual as a waypoint in a multi-cache that ended with a physical cache. By not allowing new virtual caches, geocachers are forced to do what they should have always been doing. Because virtuals have no "natural" Waymarking category moving them en masse to Waymarking is problematic, so instead they are grandfathered on Geocaching.com

EarthCaches are actually administered by EarthCache.org. This is a separate website sponsored by the Geological Society of America. They have an agreement with Groundspeak to be listed on Geocaching.com. When Waymarking was intially launched, Earthcache.org agreed to moving EarthCaches to Waymarking. New EarthCache were listed there and plans were put in place to move the existing EarthCaches. But the EarthCachers rebelled and insisted that EarthCaches continued to be listed on Geoaching.com. I don't know the specifics, but my guess is that EarthCache.org pulled out the agreement with Groundspeak and said that they had to keep EarthCaches on Geocaching.com.

The idea of HistoryCaches, as a counterpoint to EarthCaches, is brought up from time to time. It would have to entail an organization that promotes learning about history and visiting historic locations establishing such a cache type and getting Groundspeak to agree to list them. There will likely to be very strict guidelines as to what locations were historic enough, whether a plaque or marker is sufficient or must there be some artifacts to see, and something about visiting that would demonstrate a educational component. It would be very difficult to set up and probably harder to define than what is geologically significant enough to be an EarthCache. So my guess is it will never happen.

On the other hand there are tons of history related Waymarking categories that will allow almost any historic site to be waymarked.

;) I now have the answer, and thank you all for the help.

I still like the history cache idea.... Waymarking is not really what I had in mind for the history caches.... earth cache but history instead of science....

This will never see the light of day.....

Make puzzle caches with something to find off site.... pain in the butt at times, but it will give the history that WE are thinking of and give the cache that THEY are thinking of.....

I already do history caches....several of them. MOST of my caches involve some type of history. Find a location, research it, print off & laminate the story, place it in the cache with a "Please Do Not Remove" tag, also list the history/story on the cache page....publish it as a Traditional with a "History Clause" in the description.

No need for another catagory.

Maybe, maybe not.

There is a hard-core group of complainers in these forums who habitually gripe that when researching possibilities or creating PQs, there is no way to separate cool caches like yours from among what they consider to be an overall massive background of unacceptable lameness.

A HistoryCache type would provide the desired ability to electronically sort at least some of the historic-interest location caches from among other caches.

Incidentally, so would a suitably useful attribute.

Maybe, maybe not.

There is a hard-core group of complainers in these forums who habitually gripe that when researching possibilities or creating PQs, there is no way to separate cool caches like yours from among what they consider to be an overall massive background of unacceptable lameness.

A HistoryCache type would provide the desired ability to electronically sort at least some of the historic-interest location caches from among other caches.

Incidentally, so would a suitably useful attribute.

That is very interesting... Yes make a new kind of cache if not only in symbal.... I keep butting my head into the wall to have some kind of virtual type... But just a new 'H' for a cache so you can sort them if you want to do them....

I would support an attribute for historical caches, but not a new cache type.

That way you could filter them with a PQ and get what you are looking for.

I don't think it's a good idea to open up a new cache type for it, as others will also want a new cache type for whatever floats thier boat, too.

Reading ale these posts above I think you don't really understand idea of Earthcache and difference between nature science like geology and humanistic science like history. Learning geology or geomorphology or other kind of science about Earth is very important go outside and look and touch how is it looks. And that's the reason people studying geology or similar sciences most of theirs time spend collecting rocks or measuring angle of slope. And people studying history sitting in... library. Going to old battlefield you will not learn too much, it's only field, and probably looks bit different than 500 years ago. All important information you can find in library. You can't see history, history its only a story written by people IN BOOKS. And geology it's a story written IN ROCKS and theirs forms. One of the most important rules of Earthcache is give answer to question what you can do only visiting this place. What historical question can you give only visiting place? All is probably findable in google. You can ask about detail in architecture of historical buliding nearby, but for that will be better "architectural cache" or "archeological cache"

With all these reqests we keep getting for new attributes, I have just thought of the ability to search by catogery (including PQ's) i.e. history, geological, C+D, Urban, etc...

Now if only people could be persuaded to set their attributes or denote relevent catogerys to enable such a search to work.