Geocaching for Duke of Edinbugh award

w d c

My daughter wants to do geocaching for the Physical part of her D of E bronze award.

This is the fisrt year that the scheme has started running in the school. A fellow cacher has agreed to monitor her.

Does anyone have any experience of this, and what did you expect to be done to sign the activity off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thats an interesting one.....

I guess there are perhaps a few things that I would expect the person to do to get then signed off...

Firstly they would need to have own ID on GC.com

I think they would need to at least have a few finds - perhaps of different types and sizes..ie a micro, traditional and a multi.

Perhaps also setting a cache of thier own

Requirements

Assessed participation in an activity and achievement of individual progress.

* achievement should be measured by regular participation and improvement in personal performance over the minimum period of months

* each participant should discuss and agree their programme with their instructor or assessor, including the content and appropriate goals. A means of measuring performance and/or progress could be the attainment of a national governing body award or standard

* participation should be undertaken in accordance with any national governing body safety requirements and, where possible, through clubs or organisations approved by the relevant governing body

I'd question whether geocaching would be appropiate at all.

Thats an interesting one.....

I guess there are perhaps a few things that I would expect the person to do to get then signed off...

Firstly they would need to have own ID on GC.com

I think they would need to at least have a few finds - perhaps of different types and sizes..ie a micro, traditional and a multi.

Perhaps also setting a cache of thier own

Micro is a size, not a type - and can be a traditional cache, part of a multi, or a mystery cache - albeit a very small one.

Are there other tasks within the D of E scheme that caching could be compared against, such as letterboxing, orienteering, expedition planning??

My daughter wants to do geocaching for the Physical part of her D of E bronze award.

This is the fisrt year that the scheme has started running in the school. A fellow cacher has agreed to monitor her.

Does anyone have any experience of this, and what did you expect to be done to sign the activity off.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'd suggest that it would be better to use it as a skill.

Thanks for your replies.

She's already got the Interest section covered.

She's spoken to her coordinator, but he hasn't given her a final decision yet.

We'll wait and see.

If her coordinator is unsure, get them to speak to their local field officer - they should be able to advise, or will have access to someone who can.

Edited by hawkeye81

No 1 daughter used geocaching for her physical section for both bronze and silver awards.

She made sure she did plenty of caches involving longer walks/hillwalks whilst out caching regularly and her book on both occasions was signed off by respected local cachers.

AFAIK there were no queries as to cachings suitability by her groups leaders (although she wasn't allowed to take a GPS with her on her expedition walks and consequently had to walk past several caches....)