Powers of Ten (TEN)

avroair

Been waiting a year to post this! Hmmm... this might collide with GeoCoinFest... 10 times the fun! :) Well we have had Lucky 7s, Crazy 8s and Cloud 9s what about 10s?

October 10th, 2010 is a Saturday! :laughing:

Ten is the sum of the first three prime numbers

A polygon with ten sides is a decagon

Ten is the base of the decimal numeral system

The atomic number of neon.

The number of spacetime dimensions in some superstring theories.

The Ten Commandments of Exodus 20:2-13 and Deuteronomy 5:6-17 are considered a cornerstone of Judaism and Christianity.

People traditionally tithed one-tenth of their produce

There are ten cents in a U.S. or Canadian dime, itself one tenth of a dollar. The word was shortened from decime.

# The interval of a major or minor tenth is an octave plus a major or minor third.

# The title of quite a few albums, including recordings by Pearl Jam and LL Cool J

In ten-pin bowling 10 pins are arranged in a triangular pattern and there are 10 frames per game.

In Baseball there are always at least 10 players on the field at a time

Driving a racing car at ten-tenths is driving as fast as possible, on the limit.

# Ten-codes are commonly used on emergency service radio systems.

# Ten refers to the "meter band" on the radio spectrum between 28 and 29.7 MHz, used by amateur radio.

Current number of incarnations of The Doctor in the BBC science fiction television programme Doctor Who

# House number of 10 Downing Street

# The number of Provinces in Canada

# The designation of United States Interstate 10, a freeway that runs from California to Florida.

Been waiting a year to post this! Hmmm... this might collide with GeoCoinFest... 10 times the fun! :) Well we have had Lucky 7s, Crazy 8s and Cloud 9s what about 10s?

October 10th, 2010 is a Saturday! :laughing:

Ten is the sum of the first three prime numbers

A polygon with ten sides is a decagon

Ten is the base of the decimal numeral system

The atomic number of neon.

The Ten Commandments of Exodus 20:2-13 and Deuteronomy 5:6-17 are considered a cornerstone of Judaism and Christianity.

People traditionally tithed one-tenth of their produce

There are ten cents in a U.S. or Canadian dime, itself one tenth of a dollar. The word was shortened from decime.

# The interval of a major or minor tenth is an octave plus a major or minor third.

# The title of quite a few albums, including recordings by Pearl Jam and LL Cool J

In ten-pin bowling 10 pins are arranged in a triangular pattern and there are 10 frames per game.

Driving a racing car at ten-tenths is driving as fast as possible, on the limit.

# Ten-codes are commonly used on emergency service radio systems.

# Ten refers to the "meter band" on the radio spectrum between 28 and 29.7 MHz, used by amateur radio.

Current number of incarnations of The Doctor in the BBC science fiction television programme Doctor Who

# House number of 10 Downing Street

# The number of Provinces in Canada

# The designation of United States Interstate 10, a freeway that runs from California to Florida.

You should call it "A Perfect Ten!"

What about Bo Derek's movie?

October 10th 2010 is a Sunday. :D

And we are already planning a 10/01/10 Event/Fall Picnic. :)

Get going on that coin design alrerady!!! :laughing::laughing::D

CF30

Sign me up Sarah. I didn't get to go last night - distance, kids, weeknight and another meeting and I'll take 3 coins.

10/01/10 or 10/10/10? Gotta get it on the calendar.

Edited by luckycharmer

Looking forward to the 10/10/10...now that 9/9/9 is over. We planned on going with the bowling theme (either in a bowling alley, or a wii bowling tourney). Three consecutive strikes is called a "turkey"... so, we were thinking of a bowling/turkey theme. :laughing:

Never thought that it might coincide with GCF. Since I (and my kids) do not get Columbus Day off, I doubt we'll be heading to GCF wherever it is held. :) So, looks like we'll be game for hosting a 10/10/10 here.

October 10th 2010 is a Sunday. :D

And we are already planning a 10/01/10 Event/Fall Picnic. :)

Get going on that coin design alrerady!!! :laughing::laughing::D

CF30

Sign me up Sarah. I didn't get to go last night - distance, kids, weeknight and another meeting and I'll take 3 coins.

10/01/10 or 10/10/10? Gotta get it on the calendar.

Whoops! Waaaaayyy too early here! :D I did mean 10/10/10 not 10/01/10. It is a Sunday. And we are already planning an event. :D

CF30

Also wasn't the decathlon the most prestigious event in the early Olympics?

"decathlon" would be great for a classic theme, i also like the "binary code" as a possible alternative theme.

Binary Code

~odyssey voyager~

Land of Enchantment Geocachers Organization (L.E.G.O. host for the next 10-10-10 multi event. Members to date: 1.)

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

Ya don't include the batter, ya silly Brit. He's on the other team for cryin' out loud. :o Yer stretchin' the factoids, Av. :P

Out of all that information, that's what stood out to me :D I just didn't feel like posting a jab at him since I don't feel well today :anibad:

Aw! Feeling the blues missing out one the 9-9-9 events? Besides... there are 10 players on the field. I can't help you two can't count to 10. :D

I'm going to tentatively say yes, but it all depends -- in October of next year, we'll be at a new duty station (Yokosuka); there's a Japanese org down there already and I'm hoping to work with them once we get moved.

If they're not planning something, tho, I'm sure I'll run something (small) again, so either way, the chances stand at about 90% that I'll be involved in something then. : )

Oooooo... can we make the first 10-dimensional geocoin?

Maybe this time I'll remember to keep my eyes open for the 10/10/10 group coin. I had an 8/8/8 and a 9/9/9

event and missed getting in on the group project both years. :anibad:

Count me in for hosting another event, though I'm not sure whether I'll be in Canada or Ukraine on that date.

I really enjoyed organizing the 09-09-09 event for our area and would definitely consider doing it again. Being on a Sunday, I have so many ideas on what I could do to make it even BIGGER!

How about staging multi events in Ontario, I'd be up for holding one in COG counrty :) the same coin multiple events

As a person who will not be hosting GCF in 2010 nor a person who has hosted a multi-event. I have some concerns/questions. I've waited to see what came of this thread before I posted. I haven't really seen anything that addressed my thoughts.

If these multi-events are hosted so close to GCF, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having GCF? (I have nothing at stake but I would like to plan accordingly).

Planning these multi-events would take away from GCF if they are held so close together. It seems to me that money issues would keep people closer to home versus trek to GCF.

If I was a vendor, I would probably lean towards not attending GCF due to the probability of a smaller crowd going to GCF. Even worse for the people hosting the event to front all the money associated with hosting only to have to compete with the smaller multi-venues within such a short time frame.

So is there talk of possibly changing the date for GCF next year?

I'd consider hosting a Montana 10/10/10 event but I'd kinda like to get a gauge on how this GCF/multi-event is going to play out.

Anyone have any insight on to the decisions being made? Just wondering.

tsun

Anyhow, I'm just waiting to see how this all plays out so I can plan accordingly.

As a person who will not be hosting GCF in 2010 nor a person who has hosted a multi-event. I have some concerns/questions. I've waited to see what came of this thread before I posted. I haven't really seen anything that addressed my thoughts.

If these multi-events are hosted so close to GCF, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having GCF? (I have nothing at stake but I would like to plan accordingly).

Planning these multi-events would take away from GCF if they are held so close together. It seems to me that money issues would keep people closer to home versus trek to GCF.

If I was a vendor, I would probably lean towards not attending GCF due to the probability of a smaller crowd going to GCF. Even worse for the people hosting the event to front all the money associated with hosting only to have to compete with the smaller multi-venues within such a short time frame.

I'd consider hosting a Montana 10/10/10 event but I'd kinda like to get a gauge on how this GCF/multi-event is going to play out.

tsun

Anyhow, I'm just waiting to see how this all plays out so I can plan accordingly.

I have been thinking the same thing here.

It was bad enough i ran itno so many issues trying to host a 9-9-9 this year and next year is going to be out of the question if the Geocoinfest is on 10-10-10.

I would think it would be better to move the GCF to 9-?-10

Just my thoughts but i see a mess ahead.

I co hosted a 9/9/9 with AtlantaGal and we had a great turnout - 55 people. For a weeknight in the conservative South, that was great. Most of the people who came to our event will not be going to GCF. We had families, with small children, college students and people with responsibilities that keep them here in SC. My point? A segment of the population that comes to the local events, would not be traveling in the first place. No competition. :laughing:

I co hosted a 9/9/9 with AtlantaGal and we had a great turnout - 55 people. For a weeknight in the conservative South, that was great. Most of the people who came to our event will not be going to GCF. We had families, with small children, college students and people with responsibilities that keep them here in SC. My point? A segment of the population that comes to the local events, would not be traveling in the first place. No competition. :laughing:

Actually there is. I have not missed a Geocoinfest since they started. I co-hosted one of the multi-events.

I have also co-hosted the 888 and 999 event. I think both events were very well received in the area. I don't want to miss GCF to host the 101010 event, but I don't want to turn over hosting the 101010 to somebody else. I believe the coin people in the area that would be able to come up with the funds to buy the 101010 coins, and host the event in my place would also be traveling to GCF.

I think that GFC should NOT happen on 10/10/10. I think that GCF should be totally separate so people have the opportunity to do both. If GCF should be scheduled on 10/10/10 I will - once again - not be able to attend because the local group has already started (barely but the discussion has begun) planning on having a combined Fall Picnic/10/10/10 Event. Unlike MustangJoni, I have yet to be able to attend a single GCF - largely because of distance and cost and I'd like to hold out hope that next year will be the one close enough to attend. But if it is on 10/10/10 it won't happen - regardless of location. :laughing:

Just my 2 cents...

CF30

tsun

I had basically the same concerns in the multi GCF thread. Too many of them would not make them a lucritive venue for coiners or vendors...

as far as moving GCF to another date away from the 10/10/10 events... I think that's an option the GCF committee should consider...