Okay- Before I panic and start pressing buttons madly...

DustyWalker

I used my CSx for several hours today while caching without any problems, but when I got home and tried to turn it on the initial spashscreen (with ownership info.) comes on and then it hangs up. It will not turn off either. I removed the batteries to turn it off, tried the same batteries, then another set, and checked the data card to make sure it was tight. Any other ideas?

Should I do a hard reset? Is there such a thing as a soft reset for a CSx?

Try taking the memory card out and turning unit on. Defective memory cards have had a way of causing strange problems. This may not be your problem at all, but can't hurt to try it.

I tied that- no luck. Also, the problem seems to have progressed. I tried another change of batteries, now when I press the on button the screen flickers, then goes blank. It does nothing until I take the batteries out and in again, then I get another flicker, then nothing. Its funny. It worked fine all day, and it wasn't bumped or dropped.

Couldn't tell you a 'for certain', but I've heard of others with a similar type of problem. The problem in those cases was the metal bendy things for the battery were loose, and it wasn't getting a good connection for them. If your batteries fit in snugly, then that shouldn't be the problem.

Otherwise offhand, I'd just call Garmin. Rumour has it their tech support is very good.

Couldn't tell you a 'for certain', but I've heard of others with a similar type of problem. The problem in those cases was the metal bendy things for the battery were loose, and it wasn't getting a good connection for them. If your batteries fit in snugly, then that shouldn't be the problem.

Otherwise offhand, I'd just call Garmin. Rumour has it their tech support is very good.

Thanks. They seem to be making a good connection.

What happens if you hook it to the computer using the usb cable? Does it have power then through the external USB port? Does it stay on then?

I tried the usb as well as the serial port connector. I couldn't get the updater to run with the usb, but did with the serial port connector.

He means, does it stays on with the usb, if yes, you use old/empty batteries even if they seem new or there's something wrong with the batt. connector.

What happens if you hook it to the computer using the usb cable? Does it have power then through the external USB port? Does it stay on then?

I tried the usb as well as the serial port connector. I couldn't get the updater to run with the usb, but did with the serial port connector.

He means, does it stays on with the usb, if yes, you use old/empty batteries even if they seem new or there's something wrong with the batt. connector.

When connected with the USB it will not start up/connect. Is this what you mean?

I am now the proud owner of a new CSx. I needed a GPS right away. I may send the old one in for a repair quote, but it is an older one. I got it when they first came out. Fours years ago? I thought about a Oregon but I am all set up for the CSx and it served me well until it crashed.

I am finding that it is more accurate (or so it says) than the old one. It generally has 2 to 3 m accuracy, where the old one was often 5 to 7 m. Also, it has firmware version 4.1. The newest on the Garmin website is 4.0. what's up with that?

I am now the proud owner of a new CSx. I needed a GPS right away. I may send the old one in for a repair quote, but it is an older one.

It's a flat repair regardless of the problem or the age of your 60 CSx.

I'm pretty sure it's somewhere between $150 and $200...you can check the Garmin website or call Tech Support for confirmation.

I'm having a similar problem with mine except it won't turn off or get the back-light to work. It will turn on fine but won't turn off. I bought my unit Sept 07 and had it replaced in August 08 because of weather stripping problem.

I called Garmin today about an issue with my daughters Legend HCX and told them about the problem I'm having with the CSX and he said they would just send me out a new one and gave me an RMA#. I'll be returning it in the morning. What great service. I'm also very happy with my 60csx and its features.

Just my little story for the evening.

I am now the proud owner of a new CSx. I needed a GPS right away. I may send the old one in for a repair quote, but it is an older one. I got it when they first came out. Fours years ago? I thought about a Oregon but I am all set up for the CSx and it served me well until it crashed.

I am finding that it is more accurate (or so it says) than the old one. It generally has 2 to 3 m accuracy, where the old one was often 5 to 7 m. Also, it has firmware version 4.1. The newest on the Garmin website is 4.0. what's up with that?

MediaTek announced they are now supplying the GPS chips for the 60 series. When I emailed Garmin about this, they basically took a very evasive (actually defensive) position, saying engineering could not comment, but any other chip besides the SirFstar III would function just as well. Just wondering if your new unit shows The Sirf Technologies blurb at startup.