What do you do with your GPSr when you are signing?

bittsen

I cache with a Garmin Colorado and it's a little big to put in my pocket. The caribiner clip is a little awkward to clip onto things when I need to focus on signing the logs in geocaches. I, inevitably, end up putting it down on the ground or some other surface nearby. Once I almost walked away leaving it behind.

I'm considering getting a lanyard so I can clip it quickly but then it will dangle when I'm bending down to sign or replace the cache.

My question is what GPSr do you have and what do you do with it when signing the logs?

I cache with a Garmin Colorado and it's a little big to put in my pocket. The caribiner clip is a little awkward to clip onto things when I need to focus on signing the logs in geocaches. I, inevitably, end up putting it down on the ground or some other surface nearby. Once I almost walked away leaving it behind.

I'm considering getting a lanyard so I can clip it quickly but then it will dangle when I'm bending down to sign or replace the cache.

My question is what GPSr do you have and what do you do with it when signing the logs?

Meridian Gold. The same thing that I do with it while hiking the trail, clip it on my belt.

Colorado 300 or Oregon 200 mostly. I just slip them into my pocket mostly. Sometimes I set them down on the ground. I've only managed to forget the GPS at the cache site 3 times in nearly 8 years so I can live with that. (no - really, I wanted to hike the trail twice).

If I have my caching bag - I'll slip them into the side pocket on that. If my kids are with me - they get to hang onto it while I sign the log.

I do lanyard but let me tell you this. Attach the lanyard to a protective case and not directly to the gps. Many have a post or hook. Or use a lanyard with a break-away clip.

Here's why, you're holding the gps, you stumble and instinctively throw your hands out to catch yourself. You also instinctively hold on to your gps. You will now rip out whatever the lanyard is attached to.

I like the lanyard mainly because I'll try to juggle the gps, PDA, pen, gloves, logbook, the cache, etc. and something will get dropped. The last thing I want dropped is a $200+ piece of equipment.

Garmin GPSmap 60CSx: I use the lanyard that came with my Apisphere Geomate Jr. It works a lot better than the one that came with the unit. When I'm signing, I just let the GPS dangle. I'm a big guy and pretty good at ignoring annoyances, so it's never a problem. That particular lanyard slides on and off my neck pretty easily as well. When I'm in the car, I take it off. When I'm on the trail, I slip it on. I rarely dangle upside down from anything, so I've yet to lose it (and I just knocked on wood to hopefully keep that from happening). :-)

Edited by chrisrayn

I have a Colorado and I usually slip it in my pocket. Sometimes I set it down beside me on a log, but try not to put it right on the ground - I probably should get out of that habit as I could see myself walking off without it. Still, I usually use it to get to the next cache or back to the car if I'm in the woods so I'd hopefully miss it within a few hundred feet...

I always use a lanyard clipped to my belt now. My 60CSx spent 3 nights in a snowbank after I bent down and it slipped out of my chest pocket without my noticing. Another time, my wife was walking behind me while bushwacking. After we got back on the trail, she handed me my brand new PN40. The lanyard caught on a branch and I did not feel it pull out of the pocket on my winter jacket. I ALWAYS use a clipped lanyard now.

I set it down and sign the log. I never mark the cache found on GPS until I pick it back up after signing and am ready to leave the area, and I always mark it found before leaving the area. That one well disciplined practice is the only reason I haven't left it behind the way I did a couple of times when I first started caching.

Meridian Gold. The same thing that I do with it while hiking the trail, clip it on my belt.

Same here with my 60CSX. My DeLorme PN40 however presents a problem because it doesn't have a belt clip.

I own a Garmin 60Csx - I use the belt clip. The minute I'm in GZ territory, the GPSr gets clipped. It's not in the way when I look for the cache, go to retrieve the cache, sign the log and put it back. I'm also guaranteed to have the GPSr instead of tossing it in panic as I swat and run away because I got into a hornet nest.

I have an Oregon 300 and have a small case from Lowepro. It has velcro straps that either clips over a belt verticallyor through my rucksack straps horizontally so the case is still verical.(If that make sense to you)

The oregon fits in perfect with the carab stap fitted and closes with a velcro strap so i can put it in and take it out with one hand. I think it's a case for a phone or small digicam but it's perfect. I've just had a look through the lowepro range but can't find the model number sorry.

Alan

Velcro it to my forehead.

Well, actually the truth is a lot less interesting. I just use the lanyard and hang it around my neck or over one shoulder. This is after setting it down and walking away without it. Fortunately, it wasn't too long before I realize it was missing, and it was still there when I drove back.

Garmin 60csx (previously a Garmin Rino 110) and LOTS of belt clips: on the cheststrap of my CamelBak, the cheststrap of my pack, on the side of my mini-kit (waist pouch), and even one mounted on my trek pole (using wire ties). I found them at the Doller Store - a buck is a lot easier to do then the almost $13 Garmin charges, heck, I buy extra and leave them as swag.

Same here with my 60CSX. My DeLorme PN40 however presents a problem because it doesn't have a belt clip.

My Goldie doesn't have a belt clip either but the neoprene carry case that I use with it does. :lol:

My Goldie doesn't have a belt clip either but the neoprene carry case that I use with it does. :lol:

One of the Dollar Store belt clips comes with a stick on button. Designed for cell phones, I don't know how it would handle the heavier GPSr.

Garmin Vista HCx. Belt clip. Would not buy a GPSr I could not clip to my belt; anything hanging is a non-starter for me. Also a lanyard which is looped through a D-ring or belt loop or around the belt for when (not if) I drop it or it pops out of the belt clip.

I do have Garmin's belt clip, but after reading this thread I may look for alternatives. Garmin's isn't very secure. Pops out way too often. I also may try attaching the clip to my pack strap.

Edward

I clip the carabiner for my Oregon to a long loop on my backpacks. On one, it's part of the strap. On another, it's part of the hip belt.

It's long enough that I can hold the GPS in front of me to follow the red arrow without unclipping it. I find that keeping it clipped to me at all times prevents me from losing it. I don't have to worry about setting it down. I don't have to worry about dropping it. I don't even have to worry too much about what to do if I slip and need to catch myself.

Garmin 76Cx, the behemoth of modern day commercial GPS receivers. I use a lanyard that has a plastic clip on the end but it's long enough that I rarely disconnect it. The lanyard is from an Italian Forestry Service. I found it as a swag item in a cache in Rome.

After losing a cell phone attached to one of those clip on belt clips I'm hesitant to use one for my GPS.

I've only left my GPS near a cache once and was about 15 miles way (almost home) when I realized it wasn't in the car. I went back and it was right where I left it.

Garmin GPS80 MIL: It came with a zippered belt pouch... it goes in there.

Garmin Legend: Lanyard around neck with the Garmin holster... I clip it somewhere.

At some point I lay them where I found the cache and mark a waypoint so I can go home and check my accuracy.

If I'm hiking a long distance, the GPS80 will go in it's pouch in the outermost pocket of my backpack for the sole purpose of tracking so I can get back to the Jeep. Then I have the Legend to navigate with. The GPS80 tracks a lot better and holds the sats 60% better than the Legend.