Paperless - what garmin to buy?

Thx4AllTheFish

I just started with a garmin venture hc, but it stopped working in less than a month, so I just returned it.  Now I want to buy another gps and become a full member so I can get PQs and look for items on the fly.  What I found in just my few caches is that I would go out with my kids and have a cache in printed out and then see others around, but would not know if they were multi, micro, virtual or ones that have not been found in 6 months.  So I was not sure if I was looking for something that was not there.  I'm thinking of getting one of the garmin Dakota gps.  What I would like to know is what can you get uploaded on them?  Here are the items I would like to see:Last 5 posts that have the date of when found, The Hint - Decoded, size of cache, Cache name. Additional items would like to see: parking directions or waypoint for parking, small description. What items can you upload to the Dakota, Oregon or the Colorado?  Is there a differnce between them of what you can upload? 

I just started with a garmin venture hc, but it stopped working in less than a month, so I just returned it.  Now I want to buy another gps and become a full member so I can get PQs and look for items on the fly.  What I found in just my few caches is that I would go out with my kids and have a cache in printed out and then see others around, but would not know if they were multi, micro, virtual or ones that have not been found in 6 months.  So I was not sure if I was looking for something that was not there.  I'm thinking of getting one of the garmin Dakota gps.  What I would like to know is what can you get uploaded on them?  Here are the items I would like to see:Last 5 posts that have the date of when found, The Hint - Decoded, size of cache, Cache name. Additional items would like to see: parking directions or waypoint for parking, small description. What items can you upload to the Dakota, Oregon or the Colorado?  Is there a differnce between them of what you can upload? 

I have the Oregon 300 myself, and from what I've heard the info that you transfer via gpx file is basically the same between them all.... You get the cache name, coordinates, size, difficulty, terrain, description, hint (if wanted - it's on a separate screen), and the last 5 log's. I don't believe there's any kind of driving or parking directions, but just get the City Navigator maps to go with whichever unit you get, and you'll have routing capability.

I love my Oregon, even though I've only had it for like 5 days now :) I was between it and the Dakota, but personally I found the Dakota to be a little smaller than I wanted (but I'm a big guy with big mits...) I don't think you'd go wrong either way.

If you are a premium member you can get basically the entire cache page in a Dakota, Oregon or Colorado (but not photos if applicable).

As well as on the DeLormes and the Lowrances. I think you can even get full paperless on some of the Magellans? It's not just a Garmin world anymore... :lol::(

Lowrance Endura Series - Delorme PN Series -

Colorado, Oregon and Dakota are very similar (except that the Oregon and Dakota are Touch Screen while the Colorado uses the Rock 'n Roller Wheel...the new Oregon 550t adds more storage and a digital camera).

I love my Colorado 400t...1 1/2 years now, wouldn't trade it for anything.

Rockin Roddy is right there are other options available for paperless caching besides Garmin. I'd say it would be a good idea to check out several different brands because while in some ways they are all similar and in other ways they differ. The more informed you are the better decision you'll make when it comes time to spend your hard earned money.

Not only are there differences between what comes with different product lines, but there can be a BIG difference in the price you pay. It would be a shame to shell out big bucks without doing your homework on different brands and then find out later you could have gotten everything you wanted, but for a lot cheaper if you'd just bought another brand. That's a mistake I made and I'd hate to see anybody else follow in my footsteps on that goof.

I make no claim to being an expert on these matters, but I'm a pretty new Delorme PN-40 owner and just absolutely love it. After experiencing the Delorme PN model I'd never go back to a Garmin, but that's just my personal opinion. If you think you want some more info on why I think the Delormes PN series GPSr's are such a great GPSr feel free to contact me by clicking on my screen name and then at my profile page click the link to send me a message. Just be forewarnded though my E-Mails can be very lengthy, lol. I do love my Delorme PN-40 and it's reflected in my E-Mails length.

Good luck in your seartch for the right GPSr for you! You're going to love paperless caching once you get a taste of it!!!! :blink:

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

Well y'all, I have a Garmin 255W, bought for using in my car, and discovered geocaching when I registered my GPSr. So I wasn't lookng for geocache related features when I bought it.

Question. Is this model too low-end to go paperless? I just downloaded GSAK today, but no luck finding a way to load cache-specific info onto the GPSr.

Don't mind printing stuff out. Just checking to make sure I didn't miss an option somewhere. Paperless would be very cool.

I have the Oregon 300 myself, and from what I've heard the info that you transfer via gpx file is basically the same between them all.... You get the cache name, coordinates, size, difficulty, terrain, description, hint (if wanted - it's on a separate screen), and the last 5 log's. I don't believe there's any kind of driving or parking directions, but just get the City Navigator maps to go with whichever unit you get, and you'll have routing capability.

A PQ has 2 files in it: One will be the xxxxxxx.gpx file and the other will be a xxxxxxx-wpts.gpx file (xxxxxxx will be the same string of numbers). The xxxxxxx.gpx file will contain the cache locations and information and the xxxxxxx-wpts.gpx will contain any additional waypoints (parking, etc) for those caches. There are a couple of things to keep in mind, though:

The additional waypoints are not automatically created by the geocaching.com servers. The cache owner (CO) has to provide them in his cache information or they won't be included in the xxxxxxx-wpts.gpx file. Some COs provide these additional waypoints, some don't, and some do sometimes, but if they don't provide them you're basically on your own.

Also, you can remove or replace the cache information in your device by simply removing or replacing the xxxxxxx.gpx file, but that doesn't work with the waypoints in the xxxxxxx-wpts.gpx file. In fact, once your device loads those waypoints into memory (which it does when you turn the device on the first time after you upload the PQ files), you can remove the xxxxxxx-wpts.gpx file from the device and the waypoints will be unaffected. The only ways to remove the waypoints from the device is individually through the Waypoints Manager tool or mass-delete them all with the Setup > Reset > Delete All Waypoints function. That's important to understand because if you don't perform this routine housecleaning either as you go or on a regular basis, your device's memory will soon be filled with waypoints and things will grind to a halt.

This information applies to the Garmin Oregon series but may not apply to other brands and models.

Pete

Well y'all, I have a Garmin 255W, bought for using in my car, and discovered geocaching when I registered my GPSr. So I wasn't lookng for geocache related features when I bought it.

Question. Is this model too low-end to go paperless? I just downloaded GSAK today, but no luck finding a way to load cache-specific info onto the GPSr.

Don't mind printing stuff out. Just checking to make sure I didn't miss an option somewhere. Paperless would be very cool.

Try this macro

Try this macro

Oooooooooooooohhhhhhh.....

I am now very happily paperless. ;) Wow. Less micro-planning and much more freedom this way! Thanks for the help!!!! B)

I wanted to add to these types since last night I picked up my first gps that costs more than 50 bucks. The Delorme PN-40 is an awesome gps. The gpx file gives me all I need and more. Comes with free maps down to the small road level. Has turn by turn directions to the cache. Allows for adding field notes to the cache and uploading later. All in all I love the PN-40. Went out today and did a small route of 14 caches. The gps took me exactly to each one without a hiccup. Since I live in the country I was expecting the maps to not be very good (which is what I find with most mapping programs) but the map even had roads in it within some of the cemeteries that we went through. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Try this macro

Clyde,

Thank you so much for your "try this" message.

I have a garmin nuvi 200 and after clicking on the link you supplied, I am completely paperless now.

THANKS again!