Slideshow on cache page

mommio

Please DON'T!!!

The problem is the amount of bandwidth that it takes to download or play something like that. In many parts of the country, some of us are not fortunate to have a hi-speed connection and still depend on dial-up, or have limited bandwidth available due to service restrictions. Your slide show can prevent your page from loading or worse, push someone to the cut-off point with the provider. Please, no slide show.

Please DON'T!!!

The problem is the amount of bandwidth that it takes to download or play something like that. In many parts of the country, some of us are not fortunate to have a hi-speed connection and still depend on dial-up, or have limited bandwidth available due to service restrictions. Your slide show can prevent your page from loading or worse, push someone to the cut-off point with the provider. Please, no slide show.

You're assuming that the slide show would contain enough images to drastically overshoot any reasonable service restrictions. I don't think you can make that assumption without knowing how many images and the size of the image files.

Frankly, I wouldn't even take that into consideration. The web overall is increasingly geared for broadband connections and larger and larger page sizes.

I'm on dial-up and if I see a page is slow loading I either a) wait or B) close the window.

Now the question is, can cache pages support slide shows...? You could also consider an animated .gif image, I guess.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Is it possible to put a slideshow on the cache page? If so, how do I do it?

There might be some alternatives to an actual slideshow. What is the purpose of the slideshow? Is a slideshow really needed for people to see in order to hunt your cache? Would it be sufficient to just add gallery images that people can view if they want to?

Like Steve, I would wonder at the purpose. Is it decorative or functional?

There's a cache near me that uses standard pics on the cache page to get you to ground zero.

I'm not sure if it's a puzzle or a multi, as it has been some time since I hunted it.

When I went paperless, I noticed that the pictures did not load into any of my devices.

All I got was a bunch of html script. That made them useless to me, in the field.

Like Steve, I would wonder at the purpose. Is it decorative or functional?

There's a cache near me that uses standard pics on the cache page to get you to ground zero.

I'm not sure if it's a puzzle or a multi, as it has been some time since I hunted it.

When I went paperless, I noticed that the pictures did not load into any of my devices.

All I got was a bunch of html script. That made them useless to me, in the field.

I've seen quite a few caches which involved the use of a series of photos. I read about one where you had to view a series of photos in an urban area to navigate to ground zero. Each photo had some kind of identifiable feature. When you arrived at that feature you were close to where the next photo was taken. The only thing I could think of which would require a slideshow would be needed would be a puzzle in which the series of photos changed very quickly.

I also saw one which used an animated gif with lots of frames. All but the last frame was just an all white image so when the image was loaded you didn't see anything for 2-3 minutes, but if you waited long enough eventually the last frame would be revealed and the coordinates would appear.

The purpose of the slideshow is to give the coordinates for the cache. What I had in mind was to have each slide show a specific number of objects which you would have to count to get the numeral to place in order in the coordinates. I looked at the source of the cache referenced and I guess I am simply too inept to figure out how to replicate it. I have the slideshow partially prepared in photobucket but haven't figured out how to write the html code to place it on the cache page. Any help would be appreciated.

The purpose of the slideshow is to give the coordinates for the cache. What I had in mind was to have each slide show a specific number of objects which you would have to count to get the numeral to place in order in the coordinates. I looked at the source of the cache referenced and I guess I am simply too inept to figure out how to replicate it. I have the slideshow partially prepared in photobucket but haven't figured out how to write the html code to place it on the cache page. Any help would be appreciated.

That does sound like a cool concept. Thanks for the additional explanation. A site that I've used for photo sharing is Google's Picassa Web Albums. You could create a link to an album and include the link on your cache page. Even if you can't get the hyperlink to work correctly, someone could copy and paste it into their browser's address box.

Even without a photo sharing site, you can always upload pictures to the cache's gallery and people can access them there.

I like NYPaddleCacher's description of a series of photos to navigate to the cache. Another interesting idea.