Got them in...can't get them out

johnnsues

O.K. I'm just getting started with this paperless caching thing. I have the Garmin Nuvi 550. I have figured out how to download caches and they showed up just like they were supposed to. But for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to delete them now. There is no delete option that I can see. So at the risk of looking totally stupid I'm humbly asking for help. How do I delete the caches from my GPS after I have found them. Thanks so much for your help. John

There are 3 places where caches and waypoints hide:

The first place is in the Garmin/GPX folder in the nuvi. You can remove any or all files in the root of that folder with a .gpx extension which will remove the geocaches from the device. This folder is also where you want to put your Pocket Query .gpx files.

The second thing you need to erase is the contents of the geocache_visits.txt file which is in the root of the Garmin folder in the nuvi. I've heard that you can just delete the file and the device will create a new one when you restart it, but I always open the file with a text editor and delete the contents.

The above two things are done with your home computer or laptop with the nuvi connected via a USB cable.

Finally, there are waypoints which can't be removed by simply removing .gpx files. They can only be deleted from the My Data - Delete Favorite(s) tool in the device itself. You can "Select All" and do a mass delete, or you can delete one or more individual waypoints by tapping them on the screen and tapping "Delete" when you're done selecting.

Hope this helps.

Pete

There are 3 places where caches and waypoints hide:

The first place is in the Garmin/GPX folder in the nuvi. You can remove any or all files in the root of that folder with a .gpx extension which will remove the geocaches from the device. This folder is also where you want to put your Pocket Query .gpx files.

The second thing you need to erase is the contents of the geocache_visits.txt file which is in the root of the Garmin folder in the nuvi. I've heard that you can just delete the file and the device will create a new one when you restart it, but I always open the file with a text editor and delete the contents.

The above two things are done with your home computer or laptop with the nuvi connected via a USB cable.

Finally, there are waypoints which can't be removed by simply removing .gpx files. They can only be deleted from the My Data - Delete Favorite(s) tool in the device itself. You can "Select All" and do a mass delete, or you can delete one or more individual waypoints by tapping them on the screen and tapping "Delete" when you're done selecting.

Hope this helps.

Pete

geocache_visits.txt is the field notes file. Deleting it will not remove geocaches from your GPS. When you "log" your visit using the GPS and select "Found it", it puts an entry into that file and also marks that geocache as found so it won't show up on your geocache list. It'll only show up on the "Found Geocache" list.

Deleting or replacing (with a new PQ) the gpx files in your [garmin drive:]\Garmin\GPX folder is the only way to remove geocaches from the unit.

JetSkier

Hi there;

I'm using a Garmin Oregon 300, and every few months, I get the "waypoint full" message on the unit, even though I've only added a very few waypoints myself. For caching, I paste my pocket query .gpx files (both the xxx.gpx and xxx-wpts.gpx files) into the "GPX" folder in the unit and delete those files when I'm done caching in that area. Apparently, they leave some waypoints in the unit...how can those be deleted without deleting ALL waypoints in the device? I know that the Garmin CX used to have a feature where you could delete a certain type of waypoint (ie little blue flags or parking symbols) without affecting all waypoints. It's a bit of a pain to use RoadTrip and upload all waypoints from the GPS, delete the unwanted ones, then delete all the waypoints in the device and then load the wanted ones from Road Trip back onto the GPS. It works, but it seems unnecessary.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Hiya skifast:

Check out THIS POST. It should at least explain what you are experiencing. It was written for and about the Oregon series but it also applies to the nuvi 500.

Fortunately the nuvi has a feature which the Oregon sadly lacks which is a way to selectively weed out more than one waypoint at a time. Goto Tools > My Data > Delete Favorites and then check the waypoints you want to delete by tapping them. If you want to delete them all then tap Select All at the top of the page. Once you've selected what you want to delete click the Delete icon at the bottom of the screen and voila!

A more elegant answer is to use Garmin's MapSource software or one of the many aftermarket waypoint management programs (WMP) like GSAK. Download all your waypoints from the device (via a USB cable) into the WMP and do your weeding there. Then delete ALL the waypoints from the device using the Reset function in the Oregon or the Delete Favorites function in the nuvi and upload the ones you want to keep from the WMP back into the device.

Hope this helps. I've mentioned both the Oregon and the nuvi in this post but the information pertains to both with only minor changes. I should also add that I own both an Oregon 400t and a nuvi 500 so I'm quite familiar with both.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Edited by Curioddity