Our first FTF! WOOOOOOOWHOOOOOOO!

CluelessTwo

Hi All

You may remember that last night I was waiting for a cache to be published. Well today I got the FTF along with my equally clueless husband. Below is my log.

September 8 by CluelessTwo (65 found)

This was published when I was still on my way home from Warrenpoint from a wedding trial. Having waited up to 4.00am the previous night to wait for this one to be published, I was a ragin when it was published and I was 50 miles away (Seeing as its so close to my house). So I told Male Clueless 2 to go ahead and try for FTF as I would take about an hour to get home. Male clueless 2 took a walk towards the first co-ordinates but when he reached the tree covered part of the forest in the dark he decided it would probably be bestto have his wife for protection (apparently im scary??!). So he called me and I directed him back to the house and told him to get my Jeans and hiking boots ready for me to strip off and get them on when I got home. Upon approaching the house, once in I replayed the scene from Bruce Almighty were he strips off his clothes clothes ,then got dressed in suitable attire.

We parked just up from the Rocky road and I practically ran down to the gate of the path (I havent got this excited since whispa was brought back from the dead), then male clueless couldnt get his torch to work so we had to share one. The path was muddier than a mud bath in places and it wasnt easy to see the dampest spots in the dark but we perservered with the FTF as our prize. We got to the place where the clue was and took down the co ords. We were a little surprised at this point as to where the coords were going to take us, but we set out for what eventually led us to the middle of someones garden in Glenholm avenue. First questioning Gills Sanity we decided to call her. She asked detail from the clue and verified coords. 2 digits incorrect. So we got proper coords and went walking back up to where we had been.

I dont think that I have ever walked as hard in my life and then the hill got steeper!! The view if the lights of Belfast was brill & I spent my fair share of time admiring it while sucking my blue inhaler. In places this path is V slippy, this is something thatS important to remember on the way down. Unfortunately I forgot and near landed on my ear! lol

So eventually after much wheezing, grunting and panting (TBH even the cows had been scared away!!)), we finally got to the cache location to find a nice crisp new log book. This is another nice one from Gill (although with some help from Donny Moore hence the name of the cache). Just as you think the container is nice, you then find another nice container. It seems that when the Doggy ran away, he got scared and hid, he still has the butterflys in his belly to prove it.

At that point when about to sign the log we realised that clueless male (now living up to his name) had brought a pencil that needed sharpened. While standing gnawing at same pencil to reveal enough lead to actually sign the log he saw a shooting star (although Im convinced it may of been the lead poisoning setting in. So Log is signed CT with a circle (which should have two eyes and a smiling mouth), at that point clueless male could not see far enough past the pencil to accurately aim the pencil in the right direction to do the eyes and mouth (or indeed to get the signature straight upon the log).

If your someone who doesnt like multi caches then please dont be put off. Once you get the co ords then this is straight forward!!

So there you have it, Our first FTF and our 65th find to date! Many more finds to come but we will always remember the night we went out searching for our first FTF wondering if we would be able to get help if we got in difficulty due to the bad signal! lol

Im glad we went out tonight to get this one (some say we are crazy) and on that thought I will leave you with a little song.....

Your not hardcore

Unless you Cache Hardcore

and the legend of this Cache

Is way Hardcore!!

© School of Geocache 2009

Im so psyched!!! It also means that the cache owner has had a problem flagged up as the wrong coords were on the clue, so thats good too!

Claire xx

Edited by CluelessTwo

Im actually not a FTF person.

I have enjoyed every cache I have found and many of them were found 60 odd times before we got to them. This is our first FTF and the reason we hunted this one down is because it is under 900 metres from our house. lol If we hadnt of got FTF on this one then there would be no chance of ever getting a FTF.

All the same thanks for the Badge Knight2000. We named ourselves clueless two, so perhaps from that you will get a sense of how open to laughing at ourselves we are. Caching professionals we are not and will never aim to be. We are in it for the fun, and the more politics you inject (ie FTF hunters verses all other cachers) then the less fun it becomes. Different folks different strokes. Live and let live and all that.

Claire xx

I have enjoyed every cache I have found and many of them were found 60 odd times before we got to them. This is our first FTF and the reason we hunted this one down is because it is under 900 metres from our house. lol If we hadnt of got FTF on this one then there would be no chance of ever getting a FTF.

All the same thanks for the Badge Knight2000. We named ourselves clueless two, so perhaps from that you will get a sense of how open to laughing at ourselves we are. Caching professionals we are not and will never aim to be. We are in it for the fun, and the more politics you inject (ie FTF hunters verses all other cachers) then the less fun it becomes. Different folks different strokes. Live and let live and all that.

Claire xx

Congrats :) I'm glad you got it since it obviously had personal significance to the two of you and was a fun goal! I enjoyed reading the writeup; thanks for the update :laughing: It's great to see people thrilled by any part of the caching experience and sharing their stories here. I also like the fact that on the same page we have stories of two very different sets of cachers having a blast doing very different things. As you said, different strokes for different folks. I'm really glad that you (and I) have found a hobby that allows for and even encourages that!

Claire xx

Congrats :) I'm glad you got it since it obviously had personal significance to the two of you and was a fun goal! I enjoyed reading the writeup; thanks for the update :laughing: It's great to see people thrilled by any part of the caching experience and sharing their stories here. I also like the fact that on the same page we have stories of two very different sets of cachers having a blast doing very different things. As you said, different strokes for different folks. I'm really glad that you (and I) have found a hobby that allows for and even encourages that!

Thanks Mate

It was a fun experience. Lots of giggling (especially when the co-ords were wrong on the poster) and it took us to a garden! lol

I really can see the benefits of caching only caches others have tried though because If we hadnt of known the cache owner then we couldnt of verified the co ords. I think that the ones that are tried and tested are easier for that reason.

Claire xx

It seems pretty obvious who wears the geo-pants in this caching team! Congrats on a memorable adventure!

I went charging out of the house at ridiculous hours once or twice before I was cured of the FTF mania. My first FTF was a long night multi. I was a nervous wreck the entire time, always looking behind me, afraid that other cachers were close on my heels. My anxiety was needless; the next cacher didn't come along until the following night.

Congratulations!!

I just picked up two FTFs tonight.

In this area you have to be willing to drop everything and grab your stuff and go! You have to be willing to go out wearing what you have on, which tonight was shorts, Tshirt and flip flops, to look for something amongst spiderwebs and whatever else might be alive in the area.

My word of advice for anyone who is planning on going for FTFs....get a kit together with a GOOD flashlight. Mine tonight had about 15 feet of usable light. Not great for night caching...

Well done on your FFTF. :lol:

That's a really good log, thanks for sharing the experience with us: I bet the cache owner is delighted with it too.

We're not much into the FTF Race thing ourselves but we will have a go at one occasionally... if it's particularly close to our home, say, within 10 miles... and if we've had food... and if we're not doing anything more vital... and if the weather's O.K... and if the moon is in the 7th house... and if Jupiter aligns with Mars...

Lots of factors to be considered first :(

Glad you had fun anyway - that's what it's all about.

MrsB

We really like getting ftfs ourselves. Heck, a friend and i drove over 100 miles to try for one just last night. Turned out that another couple of friends came down from their neck of the woods, about the same distance that we drove, and joined us for the night time adventure too. We had a great time walking through the woods, watching for critters, listening to hooting owls, and of course, enjoying the conversation along the way. :(

Just like anything else we choose to do in life, opinions and likes vary greatly. In this case, some of us enjoy the friendly competition and love getting ftfs,,,, others just think it's plain goofy! :lol:

CluelessTwo, Congratulations!!!

very new to GCing

want to know how to search for new caches, this is not a search criteria (o or low# finds or logs)

in Dayton, OH there are so many to weed out it takes forever to locate one that the consumate seekers have already located them before I can even track one down to search....

is there a way to use GC indexing to locate brand new caches??? :)

For extra fun sign the log very tiny somewhere hidden in the log book. Then when #2 finds it they think they are FTF and they come home to see you have burst their bubble. :P:o:D:anibad:

Not good sportsmanship IMO and that's getting a little old don't you think, anytime there is a thread about FTFs it seems you bring this unsportsmanlike conduct piece up. Not a very good example for others to follow, Geocaching is suppose to be fun for all to enjoy not just for a few with a twisted sense of humor

SS

Edited by Scubasonic

It seems pretty obvious who wears the geo-pants in this caching team! Congrats on a memorable adventure!

I went charging out of the house at ridiculous hours once or twice before I was cured of the FTF mania. My first FTF was a long night multi. I was a nervous wreck the entire time, always looking behind me, afraid that other cachers were close on my heels. My anxiety was needless; the next cacher didn't come along until the following night.

:o Geo-pants? Can guys wear geo-pants? Hmm :anibad:

I got the idea from another forum regular. I have had no problems locally. Confusion- but no one upset. I don't know why you would feel it is unsportsmanlike.

Screwing with people for your own personal pleasure is unsportsmanlike. Sort of like yelling "your mama" when a basketball player is shooting free throws.

I don't expect you to understand because, as you have admitted, you like screwing with people.

I got the idea from another forum regular. I have had no problems locally. Confusion- but no one upset. I don't know why you would feel it is unsportsmanlike.

Because based on your previous post you are not signing the log in the appropriate spot and you are doing it for the sole purpose as to cause someone else embarrassment. You obviously wait till they log online claiming the FTF and burst their bubble by telling them that you got it, when you had done it in a sneaky way and I think you know that by "signing small in a hidden place on the log" those are your words right?. Thereby not making the game very fun for them, only you so you can laugh at them. That is not really playing the game right, and making it fun for everyone.

A good sportsman that gets the FTF would sign in the appropriate spot on the first page of the log, then put it back as they found it. Then as soon as possible log it online as the FTF to prevent other cachers from running out and wasting their time, and energy thinking they are after the FTF, and it is still unsigned.

ScubaSonic

Screwing with people for your own personal pleasure is unsportsmanlike. Sort of like yelling "your mama" when a basketball player is shooting free throws.

I don't expect you to understand because, as you have admitted, you like screwing with people.

YEH what bittsen said, he worded it better.

SS

Great post

You have to be quick in Canberra Australia if you want a FTF.

I have 1 FTF which should never have happened in the first place. It was a work day for me which got cancelled but then I had the issue of a 'getting sick' child. So we went to the doctor, no problem, more like exhaustion. Came home and checked the computer for the status of newly published cache. By now it was around 11am and it had been up all night. Still no find. Gave now 'exhausted' child some chocolate, made sure we didn't have to walk miles on google maps, and piled her into the car.

I had that excitement/anxiety/rush of looking over my shoulder to see if anyone was following behind with something bright orange in their hand. Cache was a fun little multi, all round 500 metres. FTF prize was a geocaching movie called "Find Me". Haven't watched it yet, need to get a few geocachers together to share the excitement.

Anyway I really don't want to hijack your post, just to let you know that I totally get your excitement with 1 FTF.

Let's get something straight. I have never screwed with someone or humiliated them. One of two things happens. They think they are FTF and post a smiley log and do a smiley dance and it is over. The other is that they log online not claiming FTF but saying that they didn't see my log. (Although usually you can tell by my log that I have been there.)

You can't hang me because I didn't sign where you think I should sign the log.

I don't ever "claim FTF". I don't keep track and I don't ever mention it in my logs. To me it is no different than any other find just as a milestone cache is no different than any other find. I don't burst any bubbles.

(Besides, Bittsen always has to disagree. It is what makes this forum interesting. Someone always needs to play devils advocate. There's nothing wrong with that. It's all cool. I like it. I harbor no ill feelings. I like the logs.)

(Besides, Bittsen always has to disagree. It is what makes this forum interesting. Someone always needs to play devils advocate. There's nothing wrong with that. It's all cool. I like it. I harbor no ill feelings. I like the logs.)

Let's get something straight on my side too.

I don't always disagree. I post when I disagree. When I agree, I usually just look at something new. Today I agreed with Scubasonic. That is one of the few times I agree and post.

I don't see the need to keep posting "I agree" whenever I agree with someone. It's pointless.

The other is that they log online not claiming FTF but saying that they didn't see my log. (Although usually you can tell by my log that I have been there.)

I also misspoke about the above. The person does not claim FTF but just mentions that they thought the log was empty.

I don't always disagree. I post when I disagree. When I agree, I usually just look at something new. Today I agreed with Scubasonic. That is one of the few times I agree and post.

I don't see the need to keep posting "I agree" whenever I agree with someone. It's pointless.

I totally agree with what you said about agreeing and disagreeing. Sometimes we agree to disagree about things that we cannot agree on. Don't you agree? :D:) I know you post both ways. I apologize. I do know that you don't always disagree. I meant to say that if you disagree, which is probably more often than not, you surely speak your mind. (As do I.) It's cool with me. I haven't gotten really irritated on hear since a playground cache discussion two years ago.

This all being said, I don't always do this. Besides, more often than not the finder sees the log anyway.

I don't ever "claim FTF". I don't keep track and I don't ever mention it in my logs. To me it is no different than any other find just as a milestone cache is no different than any other find. I don't burst any bubbles.

Knight2000,

Is that right what about the FTF you logged on this Cache:

"Camping Anyone" GC1QECA

For not "Ever Claiming" a FTF I would say you were howling on this one.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...ae-cacf2c789cc4

ScubaSonic

:)

Chill out and read the log. It was all tongue and cheek. It was a cache we found on vacation and it didn't say FTF, it says Forty-fifth To Find and it is 100 miles from my house 3 months after it was published.

Do your research first. I don't alter dates. I post on the day I find the cache. Just relax man. :D

*edit, I'm wondering how in the heck you found that log! Can you search for them or something?

Edited by Knight2000

:)

Chill out and read the log. It was all tongue and cheek. It was a cache we found on vacation and it didn't say FTF, it says Forty-fifth To Find and it is 100 miles from my house 3 months after it was published.

Do your research first. I don't alter dates. I post on the day I find the cache. Just relax man. :P

*edit, I'm wondering how in the heck you found that log! Can you search for them or something?

Well I guess in the end what you have for your occupation on your profile says it all "Troublemaker..." :D

ScubaSonic

Well I guess in the end what you have for your occupation on your profile says it all "Troublemaker..." :)

ScubaSonic

Relax. Life's too short to get caught up in trivial things. Would it make you sleep better at night if I didn't post about it or I stopped doing it? Would it impact you that much?

Edited by Knight2000

Anyway I really don't want to hijack your post, just to let you know that I totally get your excitement with 1 FTF.

me again, what was I worried about? It has already been hijacked, meanwhile back at the ranch, forgot to add that after my FTF cachers with over 2000 finds had DNF's. I'm at 200 so that was a a little extra buzz.

Just reading through all the hijacked part of the post, I dont quite understand. If not signing the appropriate part of the log, what is to stop someone logging first to find before going to find the cache and then writing their name in the middle of the logbook and if asked explaining they did it as a gag? It dosent make sense. Why would you not sign first and therefore prove that you were actually the first to find and not some idiot that decided to try and pull the wool over peoples eyes?

Claire xx

Just reading through all the hijacked part of the post, I dont quite understand. If not signing the appropriate part of the log, what is to stop someone logging first to find before going to find the cache and then writing their name in the middle of the logbook and if asked explaining they did it as a gag? It dosent make sense. Why would you not sign first and therefore prove that you were actually the first to find and not some idiot that decided to try and pull the wool over peoples eyes?

Claire xx

There is not a designated "appropriate spot" in a log book.

I do sign the book. Sometimes people are too sidetracked with being FTF that they miss it.

I have nothing to prove so I can sign it wherever and not take up the whole first page with me patting myself on the back. To me FTF is the same as 1,000,000 to find.

Who's eyes am I trying to cover and why am I an idiot? Because I don't play how you think I should play?

I agree.

Claire xx

There is not a designated "appropriate spot" in a log book.

I do sign the book. Sometimes people are too sidetracked with being FTF that they miss it.

I have nothing to prove so I can sign it wherever and not take up the whole first page with me patting myself on the back. To me FTF is the same as 1,000,000 to find.

Who's eyes am I trying to cover and why am I an idiot? Because I don't play how you think I should play?

You have already said that you advocate writing so small and in a place where people wont see it. This in our country we call pooling the wool over someones eyes. If we do something intentionally to mislead someone (which you do) then this is pulling the wool over someones eyes. I did not call you an idiot but was speaking in General. How If you are wanting to do something to rub someone else up the wrong way on the cache field and cause embarassment then this is the way other cachers will see you. This is a game based on trust, where a cache owner and other cachers have the ultimate trust in eachother to keep the cache safe and play fairly. Even though we are anonymous and deinidividuated by our code names, I feel that its very important not to mislead anyone as this is deception. Otherwise where does it stop. Are you going to plant an imaginary cache to mess with peoples heads?

Claire xx

You have already said that you advocate writing so small and in a place where people wont see it. This in our country we call pooling the wool over someones eyes. If we do something intentionally to mislead someone (which you do) then this is pulling the wool over someones eyes. I did not call you an idiot but was speaking in General. How If you are wanting to do something to rub someone else up the wrong way on the cache field and cause embarassment then this is the way other cachers will see you. This is a game based on trust, where a cache owner and other cachers have the ultimate trust in eachother to keep the cache safe and play fairly. Even though we are anonymous and deinidividuated by our code names, I feel that its very important not to mislead anyone as this is deception. Otherwise where does it stop. Are you going to plant an imaginary cache to mess with peoples heads?

Claire xx

You should re-read what I have written in this thread because you have some misconceptions and fabrications about this. Most of the things you said have already been discussed. I sign the log big enough to see. I do not cause embarrassment. I guess I won't earn your trust until I play the game the way you want me to play it.

Oh YEAHHHHH!!!! (where's that ftf dancing smilie icon when you need it?)

The friendly competition has grown over here making it to where you have to be ready at a moment's notice to get a ftf. I woke up yesterday morning around 0540 hours and for some reason, the first thing that popped in my head was whether any new caches had come out during the night. Turned out that two more had been published since i last looked so i loaded up and took off for them. Ended up driving 200 miles round trip but i got 6 ftfs and met two new cachers traveling through from Florida along the way. Even had congratulations come in from a couple of the other local hounds later on in the day as well. Was cool fun for sure! :laughing:

You know what sucks? Getting a notification and leaving right away to get the find. Then you come home to see that 8 others were published following the first. I had that happen to me once. I did not go back out. LoL.

It's happened to us a few times. I believe our reviewer does things like that on purpose sometimes, just to keep us on our toes. ... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

You know what sucks? Getting a notification and leaving right away to get the find. Then you come home to see that 8 others were published following the first. I had that happen to me once. I did not go back out. LoL.

It's happened to us a few times. I believe our reviewer does things like that on purpose sometimes, just to keep us on our toes. ... :laughing::laughing::blink:

I'm pretty sure one of our local reviewers admitted on these forums that they sometimes publish them in the early morning hours to keep those hounds on their toes. :laughing:

Edited by Knight2000

It's happened to us a few times. I believe our reviewer does things like that on purpose sometimes, just to keep us on our toes. ... :drama::D:)

I'm pretty sure one of our local reviewers admitted on these forums that they sometimes publish them in the early morning hours to keep those hounds on their toes. :)

There used to be a couple of really active cachers around here (they're still around but not as active) that worked night shift. They used to get a lot of the FTFs that were published in the early morning hours. I suspect that our reviewer spends some time each morning before his real job reviewing and publishing caches.