Which Gloves

Stompy

Autumn is soon upon us and Winter around the corner so I am starting to think about some new winter gear! First on the list is a good pair of gloves ones that are waterproof enough to keep out the rain but also tough enough for searching about in wet leaves etc, warm enough to stop the fingers getting cold but not so so thick your hands overheat. They also need to be flexible enough to hold and work the gps at the same time.

Last year I spent out on some Sealskinz ultra grip gloves but whilst waterproof and flexible they just had now warmth to them so does anyone have any recommendations. I've been looking at Berghaus AQ Multipurpose gloves on their website, does anyone have any experience with these gloves?

I have a pair of 'Jack Wolfskin' gloves. They're light, insulated with '40gm Thinsulate' and made of something called 'Texapore' which I guess is something similar to Gortex. They've kept my hands warm and dry whilst clambering around the Austrian Tyrol in January. Not the cheapest but I can recommend them.

Last year I spent out on some Sealskinz ultra grip gloves but whilst waterproof and flexible they just had now warmth to them

I bought a pair of those last year too. At first I didn't really like them, but they've grown on me. They don't actually make your hands feel warm, but they do a surprisingly good job of stopping them getting cold. :lol:

I do also have a pair of winter hillwalking gloves, and a rubber pair like the bin-men wear.

I don't use the Sealskinz ones but I do use windproof gloves. And this is where I agree with the statement

They don't actually make your hands feel warm, but they do a surprisingly good job of stopping them getting cold. :anibad:

I currently use a pair of Berghaus gloves with Goretex windstopper material. Which I find more breathable than the waterproof stuff. This is also important in that if your hands get wet, well, yes, they get wet! :D But with no wind blowing over them, and you walking (you're caching remember) that your hands generally don't get cold. And the material is then thin enough to be dexterous in opening in little boxes and stuff too.

I had a pair of these originally type of gloves (I got free with a Trail magazine subscription) and whilst they are maybe a bit more pricey than I might have originally given credit for, I can heartily recommend them. They were grippy and durable. But then I lost them.... :o