PDA any good? and which software?

Pajaholic

I tried using the search facility - but the main keyword (i.e. "PDA") has fewer than five characters and so the system rejected my search...

I'm new to geocaching and haven't yet got a suitable GPS. However, I have a Fujitsu Siemens Loox N520 PDA with a SiRFstar GPS antenna built in. Currently, I'm using this with satellite navigation software that doesn't permit entering lat/long co-ordinates but I suspect with the right software (e.g. Memory Map, or perhaps something a lot simpler from the freeware/shareware sector) my PDA might be usable and so I'd be grateful for comments.

TIA,

Geoff

I tried using the search facility - but the main keyword (i.e. "PDA") has fewer than five characters and so the system rejected my search...

I'm new to geocaching and haven't yet got a suitable GPS. However, I have a Fujitsu Siemens Loox N520 PDA with a SiRFstar GPS antenna built in. Currently, I'm using this with satellite navigation software that doesn't permit entering lat/long co-ordinates but I suspect with the right software (e.g. Memory Map, or perhaps something a lot simpler from the freeware/shareware sector) my PDA might be usable and so I'd be grateful for comments.

TIA,

Geoff

Try putting paperless caching in your search. You might get the results your looking for there. I use a PDA, but not the one you have and not for the same purpose.

TIA,

Geoff

i use a pocket loox n500 ,,,, same as the n520 but with no built in wi-fi....

there are many geocaching programs out there for free (or nearly free)

most will read gpx files from PQs

so you can read the cache page and hits etc in the field

the built in gpsr isnt too good under any kind of tree cover , but works if you give it time to settle down,, tho i do find it take a long time to get its first fix when you start it up

My thanks to both racingmissy and Smurf. I now know that geocaching with my PDA is possible and I've got a much better idea of what's required.

Thanks again,

Geoff

I used to use beeline gps with loc files (not a premium meber so had to do each individually). I also used to use the aardvark add-on in firefox to simplify the cache pages, ie remove superfluous pics, decrypt hint, expand logs etc and then save this as a web page and load that onto my pda so i had a record.

It meant you had to plan a bit but that was fine.

I use an e71 now with geocache navigator so a bit easier and needs less planning.

Altho i do still scope out an area on google maps if i know i'm going somewhere.

I used to use beeline gps with loc files (not a premium meber so had to do each individually). I also used to use the aardvark add-on in firefox to simplify the cache pages, ie remove superfluous pics, decrypt hint, expand logs etc and then save this as a web page and load that onto my pda so i had a record.

It meant you had to plan a bit but that was fine.

That's pretty much the setup I envisage - except that I plan to print the cache page and a Google map for each planned cache.

WRT having to load LOC files individually, apparently you can merge LOC files to make a single file to import into Beeline etc. (I noted on the Groundspeak Licence Agreement that you're permitted to merge cache data for personal use, so hopefully I'm not in breach of anything by providing the following instructions.) To do this:

1. Start a new text file and copy (and paste) the first two lines of one of your LOC files into the new file.
    You should then have:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <loc version="1.0" src="Groundspeak">
  2. Paste the waypoint definition (including the opening and closing tags - i.e. everything from <waypoint> to </waypoint>) to the new file
  3. Repeat the previous step for each additional LOC file you want to combine
  4. After the last "</waypoint>" tag in the new file, type </loc>
  5. Save the new file and import it into your PDA application

HTH,

Geoff