Interested in how you do it.... ;o)

TheDobbins

I recently wanted to do the Harvey and Ziggy Red Route (a series of 9 caches and a bonus cache) but my uploading process seems very laborious!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...41-c8b798c8506e (the first in the series)

I have a Garmin Legend HCx, so don't have the benefit of paperless caching, so the method I used was as follows:

1) Located the caches on the google maps screen

2) Connected the Garmin and used the Send To GPS option for each cache

3) Checked each page as I went for DNFs, etc

4) Printed each page to use as an aid when out in the field

5) Went caching!

Now, it feels like if I had a PDA I could do some paperless caching and cut out the paperwork, but are there any obvious shortcuts I could have taken (e.g. in the uploading process, etc)?

How would YOU have done it (both in my position and your own)? :)

Edited by TheDobbins

Rather than use Send to GPS for each cache, you could have used a Pocket Query. With PDA or smartphone, you can use software that reads the cache descriptions in the PQs, so you don't need to print the cache descriptions.

My caching is usually paperless. With my current tools, I forward the PQ email to boulter's Geocaching Basecamp (which corrects the coordinates for solved puzzles), and then download the GPX from there to GeoBeagle on Android. I record finds with SMS messages that update my field notes, and I later use my field notes to log my finds online. If the cache is in rough terrain where I don't feel comfortable holding the phone in my hand as I hike, then I enter the coordinates in my old yellow eTrex by hand. Your GPSr can download info, so you can just download the PQ data to it and skip entering the coordinates by hand.

When I'm searching an area that my PQs don't cover, then I use GeoBeagle to open the browser to the Geocaching.com search page with my current coordinates, and I pick nearby caches. From the cache page, I open Google Maps, which sends the cache info to GeoBeagle, and I can record the find with SMS messages as above.

I've also used a Palm PDA. I've heard good things about CacheMate (which can download PQ data), but I just copy-pasted information into the PalmOS Memo pad.

How would YOU have done it (both in my position and your own)? :)

Since you are a premium member, you should avail yourself of Pocket Queries.

If I were in your place, I'd load up a full set of 500 "not found" in your area all the time. gc.com will send your 500 to you as a *.gpx file that can be directly loaded into your Garmin using Trip & Waypoint (comes with your Garmin), or as many of us prefer to do, load them up using GSAK (http://www.gsak.net).

When it was time to cache, I'd look at the area of interest, plan a driving route and simply write down the GC numbers of the caches of interest. I'm not paperless, so I keep binders of my proposed and found caches. I'd have them with me, although I do use my cell phone in the field to bring up the gc.com WAP website now and again.

Then it's off to the races!

Thanks for all the comments and sorry for the slow reply. I've now got to grips with the Pocket Queries and am using a combination of this, GSAK and Geoshrine on my mobile phone to enable at least some form of paperless caching. Am loving it! Will hvae to check finances to see if the iphone is an option! :D)

Thanks for all the comments and sorry for the slow reply. I've now got to grips with the Pocket Queries and am using a combination of this, GSAK and Geoshrine on my mobile phone to enable at least some form of paperless caching. Am loving it! Will hvae to check finances to see if the iphone is an option! :D )

A NUVI also makes an excellent paperless tool, plus it helps you drive around towns that you're not familiar with while caching. There are two different GSAK macros that can be used to load it with the cache page, hint, and logs.

A NUVI also makes an excellent paperless tool, plus it helps you drive around towns that you're not familiar with while caching. There are two different GSAK macros that can be used to load it with the cache page, hint, and logs.

I think that's also a good suggestion. I do have a Nuvi (albeit a lower-end model) and did try a basic GPX transfer, but didn't really give it a good test as found Geoshrine - but will test that out again!

Thank you :)

I think that's also a good suggestion. I do have a Nuvi (albeit a lower-end model) and did try a basic GPX transfer, but didn't really give it a good test as found Geoshrine - but will test that out again!

Thank you :)

I don't know what your lower-end model is, but I do know that it works on a Nuvi 200.

Here is the Pilotsnipes macro that I use: http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/tips.html

and this is the JJReds one: : http://jjreds01.googlepages.com/download

how would you set up a PQ so that it gives you the vital info that you need like difficulty or size, terrain? would love to try this. would save me alot of time!!!

Not sure what you mean...that information (like difficulty or size, terr) is available in all pocket queries. If you are referring to the Nuvi GSAK macros that I linked to, the information on how to use them is there in the links.

The iPhone service is ridiculously overpriced, but it is the best caching tool ever hands down. It may not have 3m accuracy, but satellite imagery, description, hint, and lots of logs on the go makes it ridiculously easy to go paperless.

When I switched from a Blackberry to an iPhone I had a "unlimited data" plan for the Blackberry (optional). It was exactly the same price as the mandatory unlimited date plan for the iPhone.

I don't have a basic membership so I'm not sure this will work if you don't have a premium membership but....

Go to the "Hide and Seek a Cache" page. Presumably, all of the caches in the series are from the same owner, so use the "Hidden by Username:" search option. Enter the CO's handle to get a list of all of there caches. In the check boxes on the right side of the listing select those caches in the series, then select "Download Waypoints". You can send them to GSAK, Easy/ExpertGPS, or whatever waypoint manager that want to use, then send them to your GPS.

I don't know what your lower-end model is, but I do know that it works on a Nuvi 200.

Here is the Pilotsnipes macro that I use: http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/tips.html

and this is the JJReds one: : http://jjreds01.googlepages.com/download

Thanks for the links - an initial look has shown me that these definitely deserve more of my time when I get the chance. Thanks very much! :drama:

How would YOU have done it (both in my position and your own)?

First I put the right foot in.

Then I take the right foot out.......

Lol! :)