A question about a Traveling Cache.

Minimike2

I picked up an active Traveling Cache. Now I need to know a few things about replacing it.

May I put it in/beside an existing cache?

Wherever I place it - is it restricted to the .1 mile rule?

Could I place it and contact a local cacher to inform - so as to keep it in the area for a couple of weeks until a Meetand Greet coming up?

Traveling cache rules depend only on what the cache page says. I've found one that wanted to only be placed in other caches.

But I'm familiar with this one, having found it several years ago.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...99-5bfd6b9b21bf

I don't think I've ever seen it placed in another cache. Normally it is just placed where a normal cache might be hidden. I wouldn't worry about the 0.1 mile rule, except so far as I wouldn't want someone finding it by accident. [i say this having not researched the guidelines. But since the cache is going to be in any one location for less than a week, I don't think "saturation" is really an issue.]

With this cache you put the coordinates of where you hid it in your log and the owner updates the cache page. You could delay that log until just before the Meet and Greet. (I'm not sure what is gained by telling a local cacher...unless you are trying to ensure that they find it.)

Edited by beejay&esskay

My idea was to keep it in the are for 2 weeks so the latest finder could bring it to the Meet and Eat ( actually place it there) for others to get. Although, it probably would stay in the area for a bit anyway. I just don't want to keep it out of circulation too long.

The placement doesn't seem to remain permantly blocking an area so I guess the .1 mile rule is very flexible in the case of this type of cache.

Thanks.

Edited by Minimike2
I picked up an active Traveling Cache. Now I need to know a few things about replacing it.

Could I place it and contact a local cacher to inform - so as to keep it in the area for a couple of weeks until a Meetand Greet coming up?

I found one by the same CO recently. If you want it to remain in the area until the Meet and Greet, you could e-mail the CO for permission to hang on for a bit. I think I placed it beyond the 0.1 mile radius, but as long as it is not too close to another cache, I don't think it's going to be a problem. Typical time around here between placing and found is hours. Getting to the cache is like a FTF race every time, but fortunately with a dwindling pool of finders.

While these are no longer allowed, the ones still alive have been "grandfathered". Since the ones I've seen never post new 'official' coordinates (the current coordinates of the cache are always simply noted in the cacher's log when dropping the cache someplace new), they seem to get put just about anywhere, including within a 0.1mi radius of another cache. I've never seen a reviewer fuss about these since they're so few and far between. Besides, unless you know the intermediate waypoints to every multi in the area, and have solved every puzzle, you have no way to know whether you're violating a 0.1mi spread anyway.
My idea was to keep it in the are for 2 weeks so the latest finder could bring it to the Meet and Eat ( actually place it there) for others to get. Although, it probably would stay in the area for a bit anyway. I just don't want to keep it out of circulation too long.
Bringing the cache to an event so it can be logged may result in it being archived and locked.
Since the ones I've seen never post new 'official' coordinates (the current coordinates of the cache are always simply noted in the cacher's log when dropping the cache someplace new),

This cache does get its coordinates updated regularly by the owner.

And my recollection was wrong. GCC859 does get updated periodically by the owner, although not necessarily with every placement. Still, the owner has no way of knowing where the multi waypoints and puzzles are, either. There's never any assurance that the 0.1 spacing is being kept. What is interesting about these is that the owner seems to be under no obligation to restrict coordinate changes to any set limit. I've always been under the impression that the gc.com site would not allow large coordinate changes except with a reviewer's input. Edited by ecanderson

The traveling cache does not go through the review process (which is precisely why they are no longer allowed) so it is not subject to the .1 mile rule. It's best however if you try to follow the guidelines when you place it regarding off limits areas such as RR tracks, schools, NPS land, etc.

Bringing the cache to a meet and greet is a bad idea. The point of geocaching is for geocachers to find the cache, not for the cache to find the geocachers. As Mr. Sbell111 mentioned, doing this could get the cache locked and archived.