Garmin 24K topo

Kamikaze 1

Hi ,

I recently picked up an Oregon 550 which will be used mainly for Geocaching .

I've been thinking about buying the TOPO 24K West DVD and wanted to find out if this software is worth the $$$ ?

Is there any advantage having it ?

I also would like to get feedback on the City Navigator North America NT .

Can both be downloaded on a 4gb micro sd card ?

Sorry for all the questions ....newbie here :laughing:

Thanks

Edited by Kamikaze 1

I would try out the free 24k maps at gpsfiledepot.com to see if you would like it. You may find they have everything you would want for topo and save your cash...

If you want to use your Oregon with auto routing, you will need the City Navigator software.

And you can fit the City Nav on a 2g card, the Topo is much bigger and you will want another card for it on its own.

Edited by RangerR47

Check out the following TOPO for NV:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/86/

You will want to get City Navigator NA on DVD for autorouting.

Don't need CN for autorouting in the region covered by the the TOPO, per https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=354...718#overviewTab "With routable roads and trails in metropolitan and rural areas, getting to your destination is easy by creating point-to-point routes on compatible units." Works fine on my Dakota 20.

Check out the following TOPO for NV:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/86/

You will want to get City Navigator NA on DVD for autorouting.

Don't need CN for autorouting in the region covered by the the TOPO, per https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=354...718#overviewTab "With routable roads and trails in metropolitan and rural areas, getting to your destination is easy by creating point-to-point routes on compatible units." Works fine on my Dakota 20.

That is correct for the SWTOPO24K, but...

1. SWTOPO24K (any format) costs more that CN-NA (DVD) plus GPSFileDepot TOPO maps.

2a. SWTOPO24K coverage=4 states (DVD) or 2 states (preprogrammed datacard)

2b. CNNA plus GPSFileDepot TOPO maps= Full USA plus Canada routeable roadmaps, plus 49 states 24K TOPO, 50K TOPO for most of Canada.

Where do you think the value is?

Edited by coggins

Hi ,

I recently picked up an Oregon 550 which will be used mainly for Geocaching .

I've been thinking about buying the TOPO 24K West DVD and wanted to find out if this software is worth the $$$ ?

Is there any advantage having it ?

I also would like to get feedback on the City Navigator North America NT .

Can both be downloaded on a 4gb micro sd card ?

Sorry for all the questions ....newbie here :)

Thanks

I own the Topo 24k West DVD and bought after using free maps from GPSFile Depot. The free maps are great and will serve you well for geocaching. My reason for buying Topo 24k West was that I wanted to have auto routing, which the free maps don't do. Since I don't need it for the whole US but only for a part of the West, I got Topo 24 K. That way I have only one map set that does it all. I downloaded almost all of the DVD to my 4 GB card. So it won't be possible to load both (CNNA and Topo 24K West) completely on a 4 GB card.

Orienteering,

Are you saying the Topo 24K features auto-routing, similar to City Navigator? I am trying to decide whether to upgrade from Garmin Topo 100K to the 24K----any big difference?

The auto-routing is similiar for roads but you can also auto-route on the trails that are included with Topo 24k. The POIs are different. There are many more POIs for stores, restaurants, etc on the City Nav maps. I have all the Topo 24k west with City Nav v9, Topo 2008 (except those cover by the 24k Topos), Inland Lakes and Blue Charts for the wesern U.S on an 8GB card in my Dakota 20.

There are many more POIs for stores, restaurants, etc on the City Nav maps.

I would disagree with that. Just did a quick check. Used Mapsource with 24K west and then changed to CN 2009. Did a find nearest features and the first 15 (that's as long as the list is) were exactly the same. Nothing is missing from the 24K maps.

You're right, in Mapsource checking both City Nav v9 and Topo 24k West provided the same POIs. The only thing I can say is that when I used my eTrex Vista HCX with Topo 24k West in Monterey Ca, I got less POIs then my StreetPilot 2610 with City Nav 2009 at the same location. Maybe it's a gps thing. I have both maps on my Dakota 20. When I get a chance I'll test it out. I left it at work and it's being used out in the field this week so it may be a while.

I rarely use the garmin 24k since the standard 100k maps have much more trail detail. The street routing on the 24k maps work fine on my Colorado 300, but the advertised trail routing was very disappointing because the trail data is not there.

Have you ever used routing on trails? If so, does your Colorado give an audible signal when you reach a trail intersection?

I rarely use the garmin 24k since the standard 100k maps have much more trail detail. The street routing on the 24k maps work fine on my Colorado 300, but the advertised trail routing was very disappointing because the trail data is not there.

Have you ever used routing on trails? If so, does your Colorado give an audible signal when you reach a trail intersection?

So far I have yet to find a trail on the 24k in the areas where I hike. If I need trail or fireroad information, I use the 100k maps.

So far I have yet to find a trail on the 24k in the areas where I hike. If I need trail or fireroad information, I use the 100k maps.

That may explain why I've NEVER gotten a response to numerous requests about 24k maps behavior on trails.

That may explain why I've NEVER gotten a response to numerous requests about 24k maps behavior on trails.

I have the Garmin 24K TOPO's (SW United States) on my unit and, simply put, there are no trails indicated. Highways, yes; streets, yes; alley-ways even... But no trails. Not even well-established (dare I say "permanent") trails in places like open-space preserves, state parks, etc. I do notice Garmin sells what they call an "Equestrian Trails" CD for $10. For the price, I've been tempted to try it. They make it sound like it's pretty (trail) comprehensive for the 16 states it covers. If I decide to spend the ten bucks I'll post back with a review.

I've found that the 24k topo for the Southwest has quite a few trails, although they aren't necessarily that accurate. Sometimes it shows dirt roads as trails, sometimes the trail data is ancient, sometimes it's quite modern and accurate. Routing on trails you get the same beeps etc as you get when routing on a road. Myself, I don't use routing on trails, and I make double sure I'm not locked to road so the unit doesn't alter my track data should it be following a trail that isn't accurately drawn. I've yet to find any maps that are very good for trail, or OHV routes yet. More and more though you can get good data for areas you're interested in from other GPS users though.

The street data is very good, but it it's not as up to date as the latest CN version. Water features, poi locations etc tends to be much more accurate than the 1:100k maps.

I've found that the 24k topo for the Southwest has quite a few trails, although they aren't necessarily that accurate. Sometimes it shows dirt roads as trails, sometimes the trail data is ancient, sometimes it's quite modern and accurate. Routing on trails you get the same beeps etc as you get when routing on a road. Myself, I don't use routing on trails, and I make double sure I'm not locked to road so the unit doesn't alter my track data should it be following a trail that isn't accurately drawn. I've yet to find any maps that are very good for trail, or OHV routes yet. More and more though you can get good data for areas you're interested in from other GPS users though.

The street data is very good, but it it's not as up to date as the latest CN version. Water features, poi locations etc tends to be much more accurate than the 1:100k maps.

Thanks for that. It sounds like a reasonable alternative would be CNNA NT with transparent Topo and trails as a separate overlaid map. I've been compiling those for myself for a while, and just started to make routable ones using my own tracks or tracks from OSM when mkgmap (OSM routable compiler) became available. Just wish I could get the darn thing to beep when I've missed a cairn. In Capitol Reef cairns are all you've got.

Thanks again.

Thanks for that. It sounds like a reasonable alternative would be CNNA NT with transparent Topo and trails as a separate overlaid map. I've been compiling those for myself for a while, and just started to make routable ones using my own tracks or tracks from OSM when mkgmap (OSM routable compiler) became available. Just wish I could get the darn thing to beep when I've missed a cairn. In Capitol Reef cairns are all you've got.

Thanks again.

The option you describe is probably about as good as it gets. Garmins 24k Topo is better trail wise than most products out there right now, but not nearly accurate enough for routing to where you can count on it to let you know you’re off course. Map errors are often quite significant, often measured in hundreds of yards. What I would really like to see is transparent overlays with land ownership boundaries, so I would know if I’m on BLM, forest service, NPS, or private land, roads, and trails of course, and then guidance on what users can use the trails ie. Horses, hikers, Mountain Bikes, Motorcycles, ATVs, OHV etc. Right now, it’s up to the trail users to verify they’re on open and appropriate trails, but the best you can do for that information is hit all the different regional offices of the different land owners for paper maps, which are often not up to date, and not detailed enough to make navigation easy.

The option you describe is probably about as good as it gets. Garmins 24k Topo is better trail wise than most products out there right now, but not nearly accurate enough for routing to where you can count on it to let you know you’re off course. Map errors are often quite significant, often measured in hundreds of yards. What I would really like to see is transparent overlays with land ownership boundaries, so I would know if I’m on BLM, forest service, NPS, or private land, roads, and trails of course, and then guidance on what users can use the trails ie. Horses, hikers, Mountain Bikes, Motorcycles, ATVs, OHV etc. Right now, it’s up to the trail users to verify they’re on open and appropriate trails, but the best you can do for that information is hit all the different regional offices of the different land owners for paper maps, which are often not up to date, and not detailed enough to make navigation easy.

It sounds like for that kind of detail you almost need to make your own trip by trip maps.

The BLM appears to have tons of property shapefiles available for download at

http://www.geocommunicator.gov/GeoComm/index.shtm

It sounds like for that kind of detail you almost need to make your own trip by trip maps.

Thanks for the link. That's an excellent source for land ownership that I wasn't aware of until your help. I was looking over an area up in Idaho that I just got through exploring with my Quad, and found it to be interesting, as some of the land appeared to be private, yet the map shows it all belonging to the NFS. On the down side, there is a beautiful trail network up there, clearly marked, and a great area to explore that doesn't show on the maps. One of those things you won't find unless someone tells you about it, or you stumble on it.

As of now, nobody has 24K of some East coast states, specifically Maryland, which is rather amazing.

MD is included in the NE Topo ....

Depends on how you define 24K and how close the available data is to that definition.

There are good reasons why MD and some other eastern states have not been made available.

The NE Topo is great, especially in Maryland where I live. The roads, water, and other features are so much more accurate than Topo 2008. However, the NE topo DOES NOThave the numeric road labels. Hence, if you like to use the topo in your vehicle, all you see are a maze of roads with no intersate shields or state road numbers of any kind. For that reason, I still use Topo 2008 while traveling in my Jeep, but I use the NE topo when afoot.

By the way, what are some of the good reasons MD and some other Eastern states are not available from Garmin?

I have been debating which maps to add to my 400T. The base map has topo/road/trails comparable to the Magellan MapSend Topo 3D that I had with my explorist.

Talked to a cacher at an event recently and was told that the 24K West maps were about a block off and therefore ineffective for routing in the Central Valley of California (Merced/Modesto). Has anyone else experienced this with other areas? The 400T basemap is also up to a block off in this area as well.

The "block off" problem corrects itself when I switch off the basemap and use the free Yosemite 24K topo that is free from GPSFileDepot. The Yosemite 24K topo has had some very minor trails in the few areas that I have looked.

Looks like I may be better off just adding the City Navigator SD card and downloading the various free topos that I need from GPS File Depot.

Thanks for the link. That's an excellent source for land ownership that I wasn't aware of until your help. I was looking over an area up in Idaho that I just got through exploring with my Quad, and found it to be interesting, as some of the land appeared to be private, yet the map shows it all belonging to the NFS. On the down side, there is a beautiful trail network up there, clearly marked, and a great area to explore that doesn't show on the maps. One of those things you won't find unless someone tells you about it, or you stumble on it.

Just thought I throw this out there...

Since you didn't mention exactly where "You were looking over an area, up in Idaho", I couldn't confirm whether or not there is coverage with the Northwest Trails database.

Check out this collaboration: http://www.switchbacks.com/maps/NW_Trails.html

It's a set of user provided track that have been converted to a transparent map overlay for Garmin gpsr's. The trails are not routable, but it's still worth checking out. Coverage is WA, OR, ID, AK, BC etc... (the NW).

Sam

I have been debating which maps to add to my 400T. The base map has topo/road/trails comparable to the Magellan MapSend Topo 3D that I had with my explorist.

Talked to a cacher at an event recently and was told that the 24K West maps were about a block off and therefore ineffective for routing in the Central Valley of California (Merced/Modesto). Has anyone else experienced this with other areas? The 400T basemap is also up to a block off in this area as well.

The "block off" problem corrects itself when I switch off the basemap and use the free Yosemite 24K topo that is free from GPSFileDepot. The Yosemite 24K topo has had some very minor trails in the few areas that I have looked.

Looks like I may be better off just adding the City Navigator SD card and downloading the various free topos that I need from GPS File Depot.

Is there a particular reason you want to buy the City Nav on the SD card? The DVD version seems more versatile. You can load in into your mapsource. You can load a sub set of it to your unit or another SD card (that is read/writable, along with other maps). The only benefit to the preloaded SD card is if you want to transfer the SD card between several GPS's.

Just trying to be proactive.

Sam

Is there a particular reason you want to buy the City Nav on the SD card? The DVD version seems more versatile. You can load in into your mapsource. You can load a sub set of it to your unit or another SD card (that is read/writable, along with other maps). The only benefit to the preloaded SD card is if you want to transfer the SD card between several GPS's.

Just trying to be proactive.

Sam

I think you just described the ONLY reason to buy ANY maps on a card. A safer way to go about it for people with 1 gps is to buy it on a disk and then overlay transparent Topo maps you make yourself or download from gpsfiledepot.

Also, re. CentralCArn's comment about loading transparent maps onto a CityNav card. I don't know how big the Garmin card is, but CityNav NA is only a little over a gig. I'd feel more comfortable loading maps from my PC onto a $8, 4 gig card I bought at Amazon.

Regarding his "Block Off' comment, that's interesting. It's something that occurs when you are using 100k data for the map. Look at the GPSr and you see yourself driving down the middle of a field instead of down the road.

I agree that the Switchback.com trail maps are great.

Just thought I throw this out there...

Since you didn't mention exactly where "You were looking over an area, up in Idaho", I couldn't confirm whether or not there is coverage with the Northwest Trails database.

Check out this collaboration: http://www.switchbacks.com/maps/NW_Trails.html

It's a set of user provided track that have been converted to a transparent map overlay for Garmin gpsr's. The trails are not routable, but it's still worth checking out. Coverage is WA, OR, ID, AK, BC etc... (the NW).

Sam

Thanks for the link, but I already had that one. They're great maps for the area they cover. I was exploring in Southeast Idaho, which currently isn't covered. Last weekend I mostly focused in the area East, and Norheast of Malad Idaho starting at the Cherry creek campground on south Cherry creek road.. For the last month or so I've been checking out the atv trails in the area ranging from the Idaho area mentioned, to Soda springs, down to bear lake, and everything between the lake and I-15. I've been averaging a little over 100 miles of trail a week. Once the rifle hunt starts shortly, I'll start focusing more on the southern Utah desert areas. I tend to stay out of the mountains when the shooting starts

Edited by Searching_ut

This is a well known problem with roads on the 100K maps, but the roads on the 24K maps are from NAVTEQ data and I would be very surprised if they are off.

By the way, what are some of the good reasons MD and some other Eastern states are not available from Garmin?

From Garmin, probably the time it takes to process the data.

My comment was refering to the State topos available from gpsfiledepot. The primary reason being that for a large number of quads in these States (12-81%), the gridded elevation data that is used to construct the contours was created by USGS using earlier production methods. The resulting contours can be considerable different from those on the printed USGS 24K topo maps. Of the 440+ downloads of the PA topo/plan mapset since it was made available last spring; there have been no comments on the concept of not including the contours in these areas. Since the NE topo mapset was being worked on and was to include 20 foot contours everywhere, data processing was terminated for MD, SC, VA, MA, RI, VT, & NH.

There was also an individual who posted on gpsfiledepot that he was attempting to make topos for MD, DC and VA.

Edited by snowfleurys

Hmmm, reading back through this, I'm a little confused on the trail data. Currently, I don't have a copy of TOPO 2008 to compare with again as I sold that when I got the 24k southwest. I do have the older version of the 100k product. Based on everything I saw when I had both though, I'm curious in what areas was the trail data better on 2008 than on the 24K maps? I've found areas that were the other way around, but never noticed any areas where the 2008 maps were better. The older 100k of course were far worse than both, so it doesn't even come in to play.

To clear up some other areas of confusion regarding road data. TOPO 2008 street data is obviously based strictly on "Tiger" map data, which is the same stuff people are using to make the free street maps available for download. Tiger map data is okay in some areas, but quite famous for having significant errors in much of the country. Garmins 24K topo uses the same data as you'll find in Garmins CN software, same POI's same roads etc. The only difference you might encounter is because of the last couple updates to CN.

Also, re. CentralCArn's comment about loading transparent maps onto a CityNav card. I don't know how big the Garmin card is, but CityNav NA is only a little over a gig. I'd feel more comfortable loading maps from my PC onto a $8, 4 gig card I bought at Amazon.

Guess I am confused about the whole DVD/SD card issue and how it involves Garmin's lock/unlock procedures.

I got a free upgrade to City Nav NA 2010 with the StreetPilot that I registered. When I attempted to load from Mapsource to my Colorado I found out (two hours later) that I needed a specific unlock code (for full price) in order to use the maps on the Colorado.

If I were to buy the 24K West maps on an SD card, would I be able to upload these to view with Mapsource?

If I used Mapsource to load City Nav onto an SD card will the maps only be unlocked on that specific Colorado unit or could that SD card be used in other units?

My original thought was to use the City Nav on the SD card so that I could have a routable road map since I'm not too worried about needing turn by turn routing when hiking. I figure that the detailed Topo maps from GPS Depot would be easier to download and manage on a trip by trip basis.

Can anyone see where I am confused and help me out?

Hmmm, reading back through this, I'm a little confused on the trail data. Currently, I don't have a copy of TOPO 2008 to compare with again as I sold that when I got the 24k southwest. I do have the older version of the 100k product. Based on everything I saw when I had both though, I'm curious in what areas was the trail data better on 2008 than on the 24K maps? I've found areas that were the other way around, but never noticed any areas where the 2008 maps were better. The older 100k of course were far worse than both, so it doesn't even come in to play.

I've found the same with the 24k West. Many more trails with the 24k than the 100k 2008. Here's an example.

Below is the 100k 2008 topo.

100k.jpg

You can see the Pacific Crest Trail going through Castle Peak.

Below is the same area with the 24k West.

24k.jpg

Again you can see the PCT through Castle Peak but just to the left you can also see the Hole In The Ground Trail. If anyone has any other areas that they want to contrast between the 24k west and 100k 2008 I'd be glad to show them providing you give me the coordinates. I also just recieved the 24k southwest but I'm not too familiar with it.

Guess I am confused about the whole DVD/SD card issue and how it involves Garmin's lock/unlock procedures.

I got a free upgrade to City Nav NA 2010 with the StreetPilot that I registered. When I attempted to load from Mapsource to my Colorado I found out (two hours later) that I needed a specific unlock code (for full price) in order to use the maps on the Colorado.

If I were to buy the 24K West maps on an SD card, would I be able to upload these to view with Mapsource?

If I used Mapsource to load City Nav onto an SD card will the maps only be unlocked on that specific Colorado unit or could that SD card be used in other units?

My original thought was to use the City Nav on the SD card so that I could have a routable road map since I'm not too worried about needing turn by turn routing when hiking. I figure that the detailed Topo maps from GPS Depot would be easier to download and manage on a trip by trip basis.

Can anyone see where I am confused and help me out?

Check this link for full answers to most of your questions:

http://gpsinformation.info/penrod/24Kmaps/twofourmaps.html

If you buy CityNav on a card, it stays on the card. Penrod says you can't transfer it to your PC or use it for trip planning.

You can move the card from one GPSr to another, and it will work with each of them.

If you buy CityNavNT on a DVD, you'll need to buy an additional license for each GPSr you want to use it on. But you already know that.

If I bought CityNav NT on a DVD. I would load the entire US and Canada from MapSource onto an inexpensive 2 gig card, with about .9 gig to spare. I would then load transparent topo maps on top of CityNav so that I have a street routable topo.

I'd be really reluctant to add third party maps to Garmin's expensive proprietary card.

Edited by seldom_sn