Am I Mad?

CluelessTwo

Im questioning my sanity here. A friend cacher has been working on a cache and happened to say that shes getting a cache published. Now here I am at 2.12 in the morning willing to do an all nighter to try and get a first to find. I never have been bothered about first to finds before but since this is my friends cache and I know she thinks the same way as I do, I am really wanting to get a FTF on this one. So am I mad? Is it crazy to sit up this late waiting for something that may never happen? Is this the FTF bug Im catching because I never have been into that and have always convinced myself that I am happy to be a regular cacher rather than FTF hunter. :laughing:

Someone talk some sense into me please!!

Claire xx

Im questioning my sanity here. A friend cacher has been working on a cache and happened to say that shes getting a cache published. Now here I am at 2.12 in the morning willing to do an all nighter to try and get a first to find. I never have been bothered about first to finds before but since this is my friends cache and I know she thinks the same way as I do, I am really wanting to get a FTF on this one. So am I mad? Is it crazy to sit up this late waiting for something that may never happen? Is this the FTF bug Im catching because I never have been into that and have always convinced myself that I am happy to be a regular cacher rather than FTF hunter. :laughing:

Claire xx

You're in Ireland - just find the nearest all night pub with WiFi, grab a pint of Guinness and sip away until that bad boy gets published while carefully watching your e-mail for the notification. The longer it takes (and the more pints you have) the more fun it's gonna be...

Claire xx

You're in Ireland - just find the nearest all night pub with WiFi, grab a pint of Guinness and sip away until that bad boy gets published while carefully watching your e-mail for the notification. The longer it takes (and the more pints you have) the more fun it's gonna be...

Im in Ireland yes, Licensing laws are pretty strict and Im not much of a drinker!! lol Is there a chance that it will even get published overnight. How many of you guys have had caches published in the night?

Claire xx

I think the key to remember here is that most reviewers are probably a lot like you. They probably aren't likely to be just sitting at their computer waiting on a new cache to be submitted.

Look back at your e-mails for caches in your area. You'll probably notice a pattern with your local reviewer regarding time. That doesn't guarantee anything but if you notice they publish most at 3am, then you'll have a short wait. If they publish mostly around noon - you might want to start counting ammo cans until you fall asleep (after setting your alarm for 11am).

When did she submit the cache for review?

Also, since the cache reviewers are volunteers and work on their own time, there's no real way for anyone in most situations (except for the reviewer) to know exactly when the cache is going to be published.

So, you might just DRIVE yourself mad waiting. :laughing:

The cache has been reviewed and coordinates agreed and the girl is now just waiting for the cache to be published. It is already out there, just no one knows where it is yet.

Your right though, I may just drive myself mad waiting!!

Claire xx

I think the key to remember here is that most reviewers are probably a lot like you. They probably aren't likely to be just sitting at their computer waiting on a new cache to be submitted.

Look back at your e-mails for caches in your area. You'll probably notice a pattern with your local reviewer regarding time. That doesn't guarantee anything but if you notice they publish most at 3am, then you'll have a short wait. If they publish mostly around noon - you might want to start counting ammo cans until you fall asleep (after setting your alarm for 11am).

Thats great advise. Now why didnt I think of looking back through my emails. It does seem to be the same reviewer a lot in Northern Ireland so it should be a piece of cake to work out his working times.

Thanks!! :laughing:

Claire xx

Yes... Quite... but... Join the club! :-)

After getting a couple FTFs in my hometown, I have the fever!

I would consider getting a smartphone so I would receive email notification 24/7

I have heard of some areas (like in Seattle) where the FTF competition is really stiff. Heard of cachers getting up from the dinner table, or at 2AM, just to try for a FTF.

When did she submit the cache for review?

Also, since the cache reviewers are volunteers and work on their own time, there's no real way for anyone in most situations (except for the reviewer) to know exactly when the cache is going to be published.

So, you might just DRIVE yourself mad waiting. :)

The cache has been reviewed and coordinates agreed and the girl is now just waiting for the cache to be published. It is already out there, just no one knows where it is yet.

Unless it has a travel bug or geocoin dropped in it then possibly people do know where it is before its published.

Thats great advise. Now why didnt I think of looking back through my emails. It does seem to be the same reviewer a lot in Northern Ireland so it should be a piece of cake to work out his working times.

Why not just have her give you the coords? :)

Mine's the opposite. After getting my first FTF, it satisfied some sort of urge, and I no longer feel the need to dash out in the middle of the night :) Still, to each our own form of madness, and as long as you're enjoying yourself, go for it!

I am sort of the same way. I will get one every couple months. If I get that, I am okay. After that, I start hounding the cache pages looking for a new cache so I can satisfy that craving. THanks and have a great day. gwf :laughing:

Mine's the opposite. After getting my first FTF, it satisfied some sort of urge, and I no longer feel the need to dash out in the middle of the night :) Still, to each our own form of madness, and as long as you're enjoying yourself, go for it!

Once upon a time I read a comment that FTF hounds were essentially beta-testers for the new caches. That put a smile on my face, and helped cure me of FTF fever. So did hunts at night in the rain down lonely trails with bears in the area :laughing:

As for the threads thoughts on reviewers and releasing caches, I completely concur with those who have reminded us that reviewers are volunteers who should never be expected to sit at their computers day and night waiting for our cache submissions. We have had caches released as quickly as a few hours, and as long as 10 days, it's all good.

Edited by doingitoldschool

Why not just have her give you the coords? :)

Having her give me the coords wouldnt of been fun. Its the chase I enjoy!

Why not just have her give you the coords? :lol:

Having her give me the coords wouldnt of been fun. Its the chase I enjoy!

So finish the story, please. Did the cache get published and did you get the FTF?

Edited by Winstonsdad

So am I mad? Claire xx

Is that like standing up in an insane asylum and asking if you are crazy?

Is that like asking the Eskimo's if it's cold out?

I used to think the rabid FTF's were more than nuts.

I'm near Seattle, and it's a madhouse at a FTF. I thought the people were canabals, werewolves, zombies, crazy only for the attack.

then I decided to check it out myself one day.

I found out the truth.

It was really a party.

I stood around on the street at 11PM with four other geocachers who could not stop talking non-stop about geocaching.

A chance to meet other cachers, and a chance to actually talk to someone who understands what the heck you're talking about.

Of course. No one here but us crazies.

I submitted a new multi the other day and figured it would take a few days to get published. To my surprise, the reviewer had it published in maybe 5 minutes! I must have caught 'em at just the right time.

Scary when that happens isn't it? Happened to me once, too. I was barely off the keyboard and the email came through.

Less than 1 hour later, someone had the FTF. :blink:

Aww sorry Guys for now finishing the story on this thread. But thanks to Alabama Rambler for posting a link to the log. It was a great time. Will remember it forever.

Im actually surprised how many people have read that log. I was at an event in Kilbride near ballyclare the other day and had people approach me to tell me they near wet themselves. This was much to my surprise to be honest. lol

Claire xx

I submitted a new multi the other day and figured it would take a few days to get published. To my surprise, the reviewer had it published in maybe 5 minutes! I must have caught 'em at just the right time.

Haha... yeah, I've had that happen.

I wrote up the cache page, hit submit and went and had dinner. I came back an hour latter to see if it was published and BAM! The first to find had already been by. Oh these crazy cachers. :laughing:

Haha... yeah, I've had that happen.

I wrote up the cache page, hit submit and went and had dinner. I came back an hour latter to see if it was published and BAM! The first to find had already been by. Oh these crazy cachers. :laughing:

We are planning on planting a load of new caches and having an event in the part of the province where we are planting them but I was wondering if its a good thing to do the caches and ask the reviewer to hold off to a certain time if he can or to let the caches fly then they are tried and tested before the day.

Claire xx

We have our own little FTF club in my neighborhood. As a matter of fact, 4 of us met at an FTF this morning. I personally have a "5 mile from my house" radius that I will most likely go out and try for. As for waiting up all night, no, I won't do that. You can, if you like, get the new caches sent to your cell phone via a text message and it will give you a happy little ding. Then you can go to your computer and look up the info. So, I guess if you're sound asleep at 5 a.m. when it gets published (that has happened) it will wake you up and off you go on your merry way. With a flashlight.

Have fun!!

We have our own little FTF club in my neighborhood. As a matter of fact, 4 of us met at an FTF this morning. I personally have a "5 mile from my house" radius that I will most likely go out and try for. As for waiting up all night, no, I won't do that. You can, if you like, get the new caches sent to your cell phone via a text message and it will give you a happy little ding. Then you can go to your computer and look up the info. So, I guess if you're sound asleep at 5 a.m. when it gets published (that has happened) it will wake you up and off you go on your merry way. With a flashlight.

Have fun!!

Unfortunately the notifications dont always work though. Im still waiting for the notification for Doggy Moore. They can be delayed and dont necessarily come to people at the same time. I was just hitting refresh caches to see a new sign come up because I knew it wasnt far away. (the owner had said I would have absolutely no excuse not to be the first to find). lol

I get the notifications spiradically. I had one about a cache in portadown the other day, and got all the ones about the caches at the ballycache rally. Unfortunately though the ones from the Bangor rally (which were published the night before) didnt come to my phone.

Claire xx