all I have to say is why?

jasondulac

Why would someone do this Why? no describition why? no hint Why?

Did anybody notice the cache was found yesterday?

The FTF didn't sound upset one bit.

In all seriousness, the FTF log talks about it being close to a school. I was just going crack a "being outraged" joke about it. But further examination shows this cache is quite possibly on school property. And a private school at that (Catholic High School).

Hey, I'm just sayin'. :lol:

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Why would someone do this Why? no describition why? no hint Why?

Did anybody notice the cache was found yesterday?

The FTF didn't sound upset one bit.

Sounds like it's too close to a school to me. Where's the outrage?

'A few hundred meters' put the cache at least 656 feet away.

I've actually edited my post since you guys quoted it. Just trying to create more outrage.

Wow I can't believe at what people will complain about these days.

Can we add this to the official "Mushtang's Tree of Forum Outrage"?

No, perhaps next time. :)

I'm kind of offended by that response.. and the smiley is just disrespectful..

I'm offended that I might have to see girls in Catholic high school uniforms if I went looking for that cache. Which I'd already be outraged by in the first place because it has no cache description.

At first I couldn't believe there was 117 posts for this question. Then I read how it had turned into a debate. I don't know but it seems the CO placed the cache and filled out the cache page in a way that most closely fit his or her needs, wants and desires. Isn't that what all cache hiders do? I can understand someone asking why they did what they did, I don't understand why anyone would say they shouldn't fill or not fill the cache page to suit themselves. Different strokes for different folks in this case.

Edited by traildad
At first I couldn't believe there was 117 posts for this question. Then I read how it had turned into a debate.

And we still have not heard from a reviewer about whether they would approve such a cache, and if it violates a guideline, which one did it violate.

Likely because it doesn't violate any guidlines and the posts so far have managed to remain civil. Not on topic, whatever the topic is, but civil. Start some name calling and other good stuff and at least a moderator might step in. :anibad:

I am truly shocked that anyone here is defending zero information in the cache description as a good practice.

It's the cache owner's prerogative. Nothing wrong with it. If the owner wants to only provide coordinates and nothing else descriptive, then that is perfectly okay.

True. It's ok. Ok may or may not be different than good practice. It's going to depend on the cache and a general concencus among the usual suspects.

I can't believe a reviewer can or would reject a cache because of lack of text in the cache page.

I'm not a reviewer, so all I can do is guess. I don't have access to that holiest of holys, The Secret Book of Reviewer Stuff. The fact that caches have been published with no description would certainly indicate that the procedure is not a violation of either the written or the unpublished guidelines. The most I could even possibly conceive of, (and it's an admitted stretch), is a reviewer might send a note to a noob, asking if it was their intention to create a cache with no description. Maybe? :anibad:

I can't believe a reviewer can or would reject a cache because of lack of text in the cache page.

I'm not a reviewer, so all I can do is guess. I don't have access to that holiest of holys, The Secret Book of Reviewer Stuff. The fact that caches have been published with no description would certainly indicate that the procedure is not a violation of either the written or the unpublished guidelines. The most I could even possibly conceive of, (and it's an admitted stretch), is a reviewer might send a note to a noob, asking if it was their intention to create a cache with no description. Maybe? :)

Sorry to bring this up to the top but this post helps me convey my thought on the subject. All who have posted caches know all the extras that can be put down that don't get published with the cache that the reviewer sees. Whose to say, without seeing what the CO wrote, that the description to the reviewer wasn't three pages long and that what was actually published is the way the cache was intended to be published? And to yet again bring up the "original" geocache. That was just coordinates on a bulletin board much like this one. It said here it is, go find it. It's pretty much the same as this published page.

Tim

I am truly shocked that anyone here is defending zero information in the cache description as a good practice.
It's the cache owner's prerogative. Nothing wrong with it. If the owner wants to only provide coordinates and nothing else descriptive, then that is perfectly okay.
True. It's ok. Ok may or may not be different than good practice. It's going to depend on the cache and a general concencus among the usual suspects.

Is "good practice" the same as "common practice?"

I do think there are times to add certain things to the description, but if there is nothing that adds to the hunt, why put it in? I'm not saying to not put it in, but should there have to be useless chatter?

I say bring on "Commando Caching" where all you get is the coords and maybe the size, type and D/T.

Edited by CoyoteRed
Because, why?
Because we're here. Roll the bones.
You better run, homeboy

A fact's a fact

From Nome to Rome, boy

What's the deal? Spin the wheel.

If the dice are hot -- take a shot.

Play your cards. Show us what you got

What you're holding.

If the cards are cold,

Don't go folding.

Lady Luck is golden;

She favours the bold. That's cold

Stop throwing stones

The night has a thousand saxophones. So get out there and rock...

Why does it happen?

Because it happens.. :)

I know this is a few months old, but it ties into the thread about writing long logs and trading swag in a cache. Many folks now download waypoints into their gps and go off hunting without any description. It seems like some folks may not bother filling out cache pages no one will read perhaps? I know some logs were posted on my caches when its clear the folks have not read the cache pages.

Because, why?
Because we're here. Roll the bones.
You better run, homeboy

A fact's a fact

From Nome to Rome, boy

What's the deal? Spin the wheel.

If the dice are hot -- take a shot.

Play your cards. Show us what you got

What you're holding.

If the cards are cold,

Don't go folding.

Lady Luck is golden;

She favours the bold. That's cold

Stop throwing stones

The night has a thousand saxophones. So get out there and rock...

Why does it happen?

Because it happens.. :)

HA! Let me introduce you to my Travel Bug. Sadly, missing in action. :P