Which are you?

Fiery Searcher

It occurs to me on this wonderful holiday (in the U.S.) that this is the first day in a long while that I have spent out caching MORE THAN watching the forums or a certain website. :laughing:

I thought of an interesting question and wanted to pose it to the community here in the forums:

How would you categorize yourself?

a. a Geocacher who happens to really like Geocoins

b. a Coiner who happens to enjoy Geocaching

c. other

If you choose Option C, please elaborate so I can have more to think about. Let's have some fun with this!

I'll go first: I would classify myself as Type A, a geocacher who happens to really like geocoins!

Edited by Penny and Kona

I am definitely a Type A

I love caching in the fall through the winter but not so much in the summer. The ticks and mosquitoes love me too much. Coins are the extra fun and another facet of caching. While I could give up coins (maybe) I couldn't give up caching and the people I meet because of it.....

I gave myself a little bit to think about this so I could be honest with myself.

I'm definitely a geocacher that really likes coins. I came up with that answer by asking myself a couple questions and looking back at my past behavior. 1) I used to try and find caches with coins in them, I never do anymore, I cache based on where the cache is located and it's scenery; if there is a coin there great, if not, doesn't matter to me. 2) If coins were not a part of this hobby, I would still be a cacher. 3) If coins were done away with tomorrow, I'd go through some withdrawl but I'd still cache. 4) If coins weren't a part of the hobby, I'd be expressing my creative side through my old expressions/hobbies. 5) If coins weren't around, I'd definitely be less active on the forums. Coins just give the hobby an extra excitement and spark :laughing: but in the end, I'm a cacher first.

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey

I love caching. I love coins. I found caching first, and now I'm engrossed in coins. I wouldn't be on the forums much if it weren't for coins, but I cache a bit less since finding them. (Or maybe that was just timing).

I guess I'm A.5? :laughing: I would still cache if there were no coins, and I'd probably still coin if there were no caches. I'd rather give up coins though. If nothing else, my wallet would thank me. :laughing:

c. other

C. I am a geocacher who doesn't get coins. Some are interesting but I just don't get the point. If it was free I still wouldn't keep it. I will gladly move a trackable anytime (and do) but you won't see me at an event writing down numbers to get an icon. Different strokes for different folks!

I would have to say that I am "C" - other. I like to geocache and using "geo-sense". Once my gpsr beeps I put it away and concentrate using geosense. Where would I place a find? Coins are cool and all, but I do not understand them, really. When I find a travel bug or coin, I take it to move along to the next cache I find. I treat it like a "hot potatoe" and do not want to keep it too long. It motivates me to find another cache. If I can not, I go back to a nice cache I've found and place the coin/tb so that some one else can find item. I went to a big meet once, and everyone was copying down numbers off items on a table (i guess to log them). This is foreign to me. I found a coin today that is really cool, but there are NO numbers on it. It says to go to the web site but how do you log one without numbers? Strange to Me

c. other

C. I am a geocacher who doesn't get coins. Some are interesting but I just don't get the point. If it was free I still wouldn't keep it. I will gladly move a trackable anytime (and do) but you won't see me at an event writing down numbers to get an icon. Different strokes for different folks!

And yet you lurk and post to the geocoin forum..... hmmmmm, very interesting.

c. other

I was thinking the same thing. Seems like a closet coiner to me :laughing:

I used to be A but my eyes are getting to the point that I can't find caches too well any more so it's coins and the forums that keep me in touch with geocaching. It's really too bad too 'coz I love the long days for the long cache runs. But if there was no more geocaching I'd lose interest in coins pretty quick, I should think.

I gave myself a little bit to think about this so I could be honest with myself.

I'm definitely a geocacher that really likes coins. I came up with that answer by asking myself a couple questions and looking back at my past behavior. 1) I used to try and find caches with coins in them, I never do anymore, I cache based on where the cache is located and it's scenery; if there is a coin there great, if not, doesn't matter to me. 2) If coins were not a part of this hobby, I would still be a cacher. 3) If coins were done away with tomorrow, I'd go through some withdrawl but I'd still cache. 4) If coins weren't a part of the hobby, I'd be expressing my creative side through my old expressions/hobbies. 5) If coins weren't around, I'd definitely be less active on the forums. Coins just give the hobby an extra excitement and spark :laughing: but in the end, I'm a cacher first.

tsun

What she said :laughing:

Edited by gardengorilla

In terms of sheer time: B. I spend way more time on this Forum, and thinking about and sketching up coins, than on hiding or seeking caches.

But my interest in geocaching is a totally separate thing. I don't seek out caches for specifically for coins or bugs (tho it's nice if they're there) -- this may change when we move to a more cache-saturated area, though, and I do find that when we're traveling and have very little time to cache, I tend to go for the larger caches with stuff in 'em.

I still don't think I'll ever spend as much time hunting caches as I do working on coins (either geocoins or challenge coins, which I also do).

When I use the forums I use "View New Posts". Unfortunately this does not show the off topic forums. It also shows the UK and other language forums if something comes up. Coin forums too. I wish it was customizable.

I'm not against them I just don't see the point. I wanted to get a custom coin for the 9/9/9 events but it was 7/9 and two months was too short of a time to get the coins.

Its kind of like geocaching. I'm sure you have told someone about geocaching and they thought you were joking because it sounded so stupid to them. Except you weren't joking...

When I use the forums I use "View New Posts". Unfortunately this does not show the off topic forums. It also shows the UK and other language forums if something comes up. Coin forums too. I wish it was customizable.

I'm not against them I just don't see the point. I wanted to get a custom coin for the 9/9/9 events but it was 7/9 and two months was too short of a time to get the coins.

Its kind of like geocaching. I'm sure you have told someone about geocaching and they thought you were joking because it sounded so stupid to them. Except you weren't joking...

Are you joking? I'd never tell muggles about geocoins and the amount of effort and time I've put into my collection .... geocaching is bad enough. :laughing:

I sooooo get this. I wish I have taken a picture of the expression on everyone's face when I try to explain this hobby. There is a thread elsewhere that talks about this phenomenon and it's hilarious.

BUT...not as funny as your Do Not Click Here link. I just laughed - and I mean full-on belly laugh! - for 10 minutes with that!

Are you joking? I'd never tell muggles about geocoins and the amount of effort and time I've put into my collection .... geocaching is bad enough. :laughing:

I'm not talking about telling people about geocoins. Have you ever tried to explain geocaching to someone? The look on their face says this:

1. You must be joking. Good one.

2. Oh. You're not joking.

3. How pathetic are you?!

They don't get geocaching as I don't get coins. I get regular [monetary] coin collecting but I can't even begin to imagine why people like geo-coins. I really try to "get" it, and I just can't seem to understand. :laughing:

BUT...not as funny as your Do Not Click Here link. I just laughed - and I mean full-on belly laugh! - for 10 minutes with that!

I warned you. :laughing:

I think I'm option A. A geocacher who really likes geocoins. Although, I enjoy both so much, that it's hard to categorize one over the other.

I also feel at times, like they are two separate hobbies. Even though I have many coins out in the wild, my obsessive collecting seems disassocated with my outdoor caching experiences.

I started out as a Type A but, then my car took a royal dump on me, and now I can't drive around town, much less take any caching trips. So now I just spend all my money on geocoins and enjoy looking at them, and sharing them with a friend or two.

What I don' get tis the collecting monetary money. Why would I want to pay $20 for a quarter ? :)

I started out as a Type A but, then my car took a royal dump on me, and now I can't drive around town, much less take any caching trips. So now I just spend all my money on geocoins and enjoy looking at them, and sharing them with a friend or two.

What I don' get tis the collecting monetary money. Why would I want to pay $20 for a quarter ? :)

Trust me, you don't want to know the answer to that question :laughing:

I am type A. I love caching with my son, and looking at travellers. I think it is probably a blessing in disguise that we don't have a lot of "extra" money lying around, or else we would be hoarding a lot of coins of our own. We have been gifted a few, and won a couple in cointests, but have not been able to buy any.

I'd definitely have to say I'm type A primarily. I love to get out and go geocaching whenever I have a free moment. It just seems like those free moments are few and far between.

The weather is not a deterrant for me. Cold weather or hot, I'll just dress appropriately and go caching anyway. That's what the 'winter friendly' attribute is for. :lol: And when the lakes freeze, I can walk to the island caches!!

For sure I am A. I have loved geocaching since my friends introduced it to me over two years ago. Though I don't always have a lot of time to go out, I really have a great time when I do. I am six months pregnant and still caching (though 4 hour hikes are not in the cards now).

I do like geocoins but like other posters have said, if it was taken out of the equation, I would still be hooked on geocaching!

And when the lakes freeze, I can walk to the island caches!!

Excellent point! As a native Floridian, I think sometimes I don't appreciate the cold factor as much as I should. Cooler weather is great for keeping mosquitoes, ticks, and chiggers at bay, but new access to island caches is something I'd not thought about!

And congrats on your geocacher-to-be, ELTADA! Hopefully all goes well in the remaining few months...

And when the lakes freeze, I can walk to the island caches!!

Excellent point! As a native Floridian, I think sometimes I don't appreciate the cold factor as much as I should. Cooler weather is great for keeping mosquitoes, ticks, and chiggers at bay, but new access to island caches is something I'd not thought about!

And congrats on your geocacher-to-be, ELTADA! Hopefully all goes well in the remaining few months...

There is another benefit to winter caching: If you just can't find a particular cache, put a watch on it. If there is a successful find directly after a snowfall, you can rush out and follow the previous cacher's footsteps! :lol: