**WTB** Garmin etrex PC USB cable

jlee18

I recently bought my new Garmin etrex legend. And to great surprise it came with a 9-bit PC data cable. I automatically thought it would include a USB. If anyone knows where to buy this accessory. Please Reply! :laughing:

The etrex units use a standard usb cable. Many digital camera cables will work just fine, as do Blackberry phone cables. Any decent electronics store will have a cable. But first check your other electronics, you may already have a cable that works.

I recently bought my new Garmin etrex legend. And to great surprise it came with a 9-bit PC data cable. I automatically thought it would include a USB. If anyone knows where to buy this accessory. Please Reply! :laughing:

The etrex units use a standard usb cable. Many digital camera cables will work just fine, as do Blackberry phone cables. Any decent electronics store will have a cable. But first check your other electronics, you may already have a cable that works.

It just dawned on me that you may have an older etrex unit that does not have a usb port on the unit at all. In that case, all is still not lost. You can get an RS232 USB converter cable. Should cost you around $10 on the internet.

I recently bought my new Garmin etrex legend. And to great surprise it came with a 9-bit PC data cable. I automatically thought it would include a USB. If anyone knows where to buy this accessory. Please Reply! :blink:

I bought one off ebay that works fine.I just had download driver for it

I just bought a garmin etrex h today.. what is the cable for? i might need or want one too...

To load caches with. You definitely will want one if your purchase didn't include it. They're around $30 most of the time!! With the cable, you'll be able to connect directly to the computer and transfer a single cache or multiple caches simply. Without, you'll be hand entering coords for each cache...OUCH!! Doable, but not simpe like loading with the cable...

Edited by Rockin Roddy

hand load the coords?? i can do that?? i have been taking the coords on a piece of paper and walking around till i find the location... am i a newb or what.. i have read the book several times looking for the entering place but to no avail.. maybe someone can help me with that in a PM...

Jeremy

Well, OUCH again! :) There should be a button that looks like a pushpin or something like that? I can't remember since it's been so long since I owned my etrex, but if I were you, I'd just push each button and see what it does...

hand load the coords?? i can do that?? i have been taking the coords on a piece of paper and walking around till i find the location... am i a newb or what.. i have read the book several times looking for the entering place but to no avail.. maybe someone can help me with that in a PM...

Jeremy

This thread explains how to enter coords into the Etrex by hand. Etrex waypoints

Edited by Wadcutter