Oregon 300 zoom/pan speed

Rifty

I find the zoom/pan time when using discoverer maps (specifically GB National Parks) a little frustrating - anything between 2 and 5 seconds (leaving those new areas blank for that time when panning). I realise it's an 800+ meg file but I think this is one area that could be improved in future. Am I expecting too much ? ;)

It's not like the discoverer maps come on cd (which would allow you to select a smaller area and therefore reduce the map size and presumably decrease the loading lag ?) : it's all or nothing from the memory card. Does this mean that the likes of the GB Northern and Midlands (which would be bigger), would have even larger lag times ?

The discoverer areas don't cover where I'm at so cant say whether the redraw is any better when out navigating with the map on screen and letting it scroll 'naturally'.

What's other peoples experiences of discoverer zoom/pan ?

I find the zoom/pan time when using discoverer maps (specifically GB National Parks) a little frustrating - anything between 2 and 5 seconds (leaving those new areas blank for that time when panning). I realise it's an 800+ meg file but I think this is one area that could be improved in future. Am I expecting too much ? ;)

It's not like the discoverer maps come on cd (which would allow you to select a smaller area and therefore reduce the map size and presumably decrease the loading lag ?) : it's all or nothing from the memory card. Does this mean that the likes of the GB Northern and Midlands (which would be bigger), would have even larger lag times ?

The discoverer areas don't cover where I'm at so cant say whether the redraw is any better when out navigating with the map on screen and letting it scroll 'naturally'.

What's other peoples experiences of discoverer zoom/pan ?

I would imagine it's the same on the redraws when routing...that's pretty slow too! Seems many disparge the PN-40 for it's sluggish redraws when using higher detailed maps (aerials especially), but I've not seen that slow a redraw even with large sections of aerials loaded...interesting.

Are the regular maps slow too, or just those? I'm wondering if it's not a problem with the maps or something or if that's the norm with HD maps.

Anyone ?

I've just read another post which suggests that when zoomed in on discoverer maps, the unit will lock up because it cannot re-draw fast enough - can anyone else confirm this ?

I doubt this, but have been wrong in the past. If that is the case though, I'd either return the software for refund or possibly getting ahold of Garmin CS would be a good idea? They certainly shouldn't sell software not compatable with your unit

Edited by Rockin Roddy