Unwittingly placing caches in locations that cachers are already visiting

tonibunny

A while ago, a friend of mine placed a cache at a lovely historic little chapel he found, as he thought it would be nice to bring people to see it.

However, he didn't know that people were already visiting this chapel, because it was the first stage of a 2 stage multicache that someone else had set up, that had been in place for a long time - that cache required you to visit and get some info from the information board there. My friend's cache is hidden right beside that board.

The owner of that cache wrote a note which seemed a bit miffed because my friend had placed a cache there, and my friend felt bad as he didn't want to step on anyone's toes. But there's no way to know if you've placed a cache somewhere that is already being used as a multicache waypoint - is there?

I've also noticed that recently a microcache has been placed at the same historical site that you end up at for a virtual, though that virtual's co-ordinates are a short walk away. It seems a shame that the new cache's owner wasn't able to tell that this site is already being visited by geocachers, but of course there wasn't a proximity problem because the virtual's starting co-ords are far enough away.

;)

Toni

A while ago, a friend of mine placed a cache at a lovely historic little chapel he found, as he thought it would be nice to bring people to see it.

However, he didn't know that people were already visiting this chapel, because it was the first stage of a 2 stage multicache that someone else had set up, that had been in place for a long time - that cache required you to visit and get some info from the information board there. My friend's cache is hidden right beside that board.

The owner of that cache wrote a note which seemed a bit miffed because my friend had placed a cache there, and my friend felt bad as he didn't want to step on anyone's toes. But there's no way to know if you've placed a cache somewhere that is already being used as a multicache waypoint - is there?

I've also noticed that recently a microcache has been placed at the same historical site that you end up at for a virtual, though that virtual's co-ordinates are a short walk away. It seems a shame that the new cache's owner wasn't able to tell that this site is already being visited by geocachers, but of course there wasn't a proximity problem because the virtual's starting co-ords are far enough away.

;)

Your friend has done nothing wrong. If a multi has a virtual stage then the 550ft rule does not apply. The multi owner has no territorial rights over the area of any virtual stages. I had a multi with virtual stages in Bolton town centre. Someone (hello Steve!) placed micros at most of these stages. To be honest I was quite pleased as I thought it might encourage more people to my infrequently visited cache. In actual fact it did not, what happened was that most people who found these new micros still didn't find my multi even though they had in fact visited all its waypoints. I think some people filter mulitis out on principle and thus miss out even the easy ones. What I am trying to say (I think!) is that people who like multis will find them regardless and I don't think they are affected by other nearby cache placements.

Toni

;)

Toni

Your friend has done nothing wrong. If a multi has a virtual stage then the 550ft rule does not apply. The multi owner has no territorial rights over the area of any virtual stages. I had a multi with virtual stages in Bolton town centre. Someone (hello Steve!) placed micros at most of these stages. To be honest I was quite pleased as I thought it might encourage more people to my infrequently visited cache. In actual fact it did not, what happened was that most people who found these new micros still didn't find my multi even though they had in fact visited all its waypoints. I think some people filter mulitis out on principle and thus miss out even the easy ones. What I am trying to say (I think!) is that people who like multis will find them regardless and I don't think they are affected by other nearby cache placements.

;)

Toni

If it was my multi, I wouldn't have a problem with it! Indeed, it could help attrract more visitors, as folks often ignore multis in favour of trads, however if they are at the site anyway, they may do the multi while there.

As you say, there's no way of knowing unless you've done the multi yourself, or the multi lists all its points as additional waypoints, and you still have to make an effort to see them!

It sounds like the site is worth visiting (hence having two caches at it!) so if more visitors are going, thats probably a good thing!

Just my opinion though!

dave

Bah humbug to the owner that did this.

As I see it, you "own" the 0.1 mile radius as far as physical placement is concerned.

All other areas are fair game. Including anyone who wants to use that 0.1 radius for a stage.

I've never quite got the hang of it, but am I right that if you put out a container for a stage, that 0.1 radius becomes "blocked"?

I haven't done that many multis that include physical (as opposed to virtual) stages, but there have been a few.

I think I know which cache and ranting cacher this was. My attitude at the time was 'tough ti...oops I mean luck'. The rant in question seemed to deplore the fact that in general most people seem to want to do trads and series these days and don't want to spend hours and hours on multi caches. That may well be true, but it's hardly the fault of the new cache setter. No cacher has the divine right to own a location (as long as proximity and other guidelines have been followed) nor to force people to set or find the caches that they themselves prefer. I enjoyed your friends cache very much by the way (I did it at night!) tell them to put it out of their mind and not let it bother them.

yep... what everyone else says....

Plus - I hid a cache last week at a lovely location about 25 ft from the start of a multi... I just think it's worthy of a cache in it's own right!

And yeah - it'll bring more people here too - you know what it's like - lots of people don't like doing multis unless they have to, or are already on top of them!!

I've seen two multi-caches that use the exact same location for the clue. It works just fine.

I can't help wondering why people seem to get so bent out of shape about others enjoying the sport in a different way to them. I don't care for 5/5 caches or anything that involves too much climbing, so I don't do them. Others enjoy them and don't enjoy the ones I like. Why does it have to be such a big deal?