how to use the nuvi for geocaching

namiboy

howdy. we were on the way to a party tonight and wanted to check out a park on the way that had a geocache in it, so instead of bringing my handheld, i just figured we'd use the nuvi that was already in the car. so i entered the coords and got near ground zero, switched it to pedestrian mode and went for it. it was a pretty easy one, but i was wondering what screen i should have been on? on my handheld i usually use the pointer on the compass screen and it shows how many feet from ground zero, no such screen on the nuvi, so what do you nuvi cachers do? thanks.

When I used my Nuvi for caching I would have to memorize the coordinates of the cache, compare those with my current coordinates, and figure out from there which way that I needed to be going. To see your current coordinates on the Nuvi, touch the signal strength bar meter in the corner.

Here is a good tutorial on how to set up paperless caching on the Nuvi: http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

Towards the end it talks specifically about how to use the coords to find the cache once you get close and the map becomes less useful. Hope that helps.

Edited by LukeNuk3m

Google nuvi paperless geocaching and there is an excellent webpage on using a nuvi for geocaching (it's pilotsnipes or something in the URL). Basically, I use the offroad mode and set it to north up (not 3d). Then when I get close I use the where am I function (or I can hold my finger on the signal strength icon for a few seconds) and look at the actual coordinates of where I am and move around until I'm rght on top of it.