Multiple mapsets on my Oregon 300?

wahoowad

I tried to put 2 different US Topo 2008 mapsets on my Oregon 300 SD chip. The primary one I named gmapsupp.img andd the other named gmapsup1.img. The Oregon only seems to recognize the first one. Is this because the Oregon can only recognize one .img file from the SD chip? I thought I could have multiples on it.

The goal was to keep the second one disabled, only activating as desired.

I tried to put 2 different US Topo 2008 mapsets on my Oregon 300 SD chip. The primary one I named gmapsupp.img andd the other named gmapsup1.img. The Oregon only seems to recognize the first one. Is this because the Oregon can only recognize one .img file from the SD chip? I thought I could have multiples on it.

The goal was to keep the second one disabled, only activating as desired.

You can have more than one IMG. The issue here is these IMGs both originated from the same source (US Topo 2008)...so there will only be one entry to active/deactivate that map in your GPS menu, regardless of the physical name you give the IMG file (or in this case, files).

Hmmmm, well how could I have two different Topo 2008 mapsets on my unit? I was under the impression I can do this. How could I have the Eastern US in one file and Alaska in another? I have given the mapsets different names when I built the mapset within Mapsource.

At this point I have both of the final .img files - one 2.5GB and the other 875MB. I have room on the 300 for the Alaska file but not the Eastern US file. I'd like to be able to use them interchangeably.

Edited by wahoowad

Hmmmm, well how could I have two different Topo 2008 mapsets on my unit? I was under the impression I can do this. How could I have the Eastern US in one file and Alaska in another? I have given the mapsets different names when I built the mapset within Mapsource.

At this point I have both of the final .img files - one 2.5GB and the other 875MB. I have room on the 300 for the Alaska file but not the Eastern US file. I'd like to be able to use them interchangeably.

It's the same mapset (2008 Topo) contained in two files (one Eastern US, the other Alaska). When you turn it on all maps in that mapset are activated.

Use GMapTool. (GUI version) http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...&st=0

1. Change settings to English. ( Opcje>Jezyk>English).

1a. Select :Options >"Advanced Options", "Verbose Output", "Experimental Options" as active.

2. On PC create directory for your .img file.

3. Create next drectory for files after "split" command.

4. Copy one .img file with your mapset to first directory.

5. Files> Add files> select .img file. At the end this file is seen as blue - selected.

6. Split > select directory ( this second created directory), "Create single maps" > "Split All".

7. In this second directory you have all splitted files. Delete .mps file from this directory.

8. Activate (Select) only .typ file (should be one).

9. Command "Write" > Correct TYP > and write for example 45678 as FID and 1 as PID.> "Write selected".

10. In Window "Files" this .typ file should have changed numbers.

11. Activate all files (all should be blue).

12. Command "Join". Write new FID and PID in "Set mapset FID". (45678 and 1)

13. Set name of output file ( with .img at the end. Program does not do it.)

14. Set mapset name - it is seen in Colorado /Oregon.

15. Command "Join all".

16 . In selected directory you have .img file with your new FID PID.

17. You can check this file in Oregon.

18. If you want to change information in second row - use "Write" > Mapset> and write what you want.

19 . You can change Priority and Transparency with this "Write" command simultaneously. Of course this new .img file must be now selected by "Files" > Add files command - to be processed.

Short instruction.

Whole procedure takes 2-3 minutes after short practice.

At the end you see this .img file as separate on your Oregon:

ekranpogmaptoolu1.jpg

You see two different "mapset information" created by Gmaptool. I changed FID and PID of this mapsets to see them separately in Colorado. Priority and transparency changed to see maps with Europe Recreational 2.0 shading.

Christopher

Edited by sokolo0