Would you bother to look...

Puppy Dawg

Would you bother to do a difficult puzzle that lead to a cache far out on a trail? I always have lots of puzzle ideas, might start dumping them on hiking trails depending on the responses here.

If it's a good trail then I'd do it.

You will probably get people leaving caches along the trail if there's room cos that's what cachers are like. Find an area and fill it.

Would you bother to do a difficult puzzle that lead to a cache far out on a trail? I always have lots of puzzle ideas, might start dumping them on hiking trails depending on the responses here.

I would be especially happy to do it if it was horse accessible, as that's my preferred mode of transportation, but yes, I'm definitely in favor of caches, traditional, multi, or mystery, that get me out and about.

I wouldn´t do it. For me caching is an outdoors game. I have enough indoors hobbies and solving puzzles usually is not one of them.

But on the other hand many cachers in my region seem to like difficult puzzles.

I'd like to know how far out. Is it 5km one way? Maybe, on a nice day. Are there other caches along the way to keep me motivated? Is it close to the trail or are you talking bushwacking most of the way, in that case no thanks. I'm not a fan of getting poked and scratched and tripped up and I get easily disoriented even with a GPS. Like Arrow42 said, put the distance and type of hike in the description and let people make up their own minds about what they can handle.

I love the trails and the hiking, so THAT would not hinder me except to schedule the time. I have done nearly 12 miles for 5 caches and had to walk back - great stuff!

Making it a puzzle/mystery makes it more solving puzzle game than geocaching . . . not for me. IMO, if it can not be solved/resolved on the trail or in the field - it simply ain't geocaching, it is puzzle-solving. But, this is another thread, I guess.

The more info on the cache page, the better.

This summer I did a multi that was a 13-14km (8-9 miles) roundtrip, through the countryside; the cache page mentioned that. I planned to do only this multi in the afternoon. There were 2 other multis about 5km from the town I was visiting. Turns out the multi I was doing walked me near the other 2 caches, for which I had no listing with me.

If the listing would have mentioned that the walk brings you close to the other 2 caches, I would have searched for those, too.

If you put 2 or more puzzles on the same trail, please mention the neighbor caches on each cache page. Someone who solved the puzzle and looks at google maps, will see only the traditionals along the trail, not the other puzzles (unless the puzzle posted coordinates are on the same trail).

And yes,I will search for such a cache. I like to hike, and I like to solve good puzzles (the kind where you know the rules and use brain power to find the solution, not the ones where the difficulty is finding the puzzle). Unfortunately I'm halfway across the globe.

I like everything except the notion of spitting one out every 528'.

To my biased caching aesthetics, that feels more like spew than caching.

An ideal hiking trail for me would have a cache every mile or so.

That gives me time to smell the flowers and keeps me from having my nose buried in my GPSr the whole trip.

Yes, at 528 feet is halfway to the counting down point. I usually start counting down at 300 feet so just as you get a stride going, you are watching the GPS (or counting footsteps or whatever) but not concentrating on where you are in nature.

The 528 rule isn't designed to be a challenge to place a cache every 528 feet.

If the trail is good enough to warrant the walk all by itself, definitely. Certainly wouldn't be the first puzzle cache I'd gone to find without any guarantee about a result.

If you're worried that some might not make the time commitment on a puzzle, you can always employ a geochecker to give them some assurance they've got it solved before they leave.

No.

My idea of puzzles is Professor Layton on the DS and other DS games or the trick questions I get at work.

My idea of a cache is "go find it".

Thus while might eventually get to your cache on a trail as a cache, unless the puzzle has my name on it as one I would enjoy ouside my normal puzzle habitat, I won't solve a cache puzzle to do it.

There is an exception. If I have cleared out all the local caches and the only ones that remain are puzzles. Then I'll work harder at it.

If the puzzle is a solve at home (which is seems like it would be with a coord checker), and there were other caches along the trail, I might be up for it.

If the hike is 14 miles and you mixed in some traditionals and a multi or two, then it would be fun.

Generally, around here, most hiders make finals to puzzles pretty easy. The ones that are long hikes generally don't get found too often.