Your personal coin or unactivated coin drops in GEOCACHES :)

tsunrisebey

As Robert explained, I could not resist dropping personal swag coins in the little treasure chest box at the 6th floor elevator area. Once folks started finding them, it was even more fun. One gold (cache only) coin was hidden in the hotel as well - but I have no idea if a cacher or hotel staff found it. Several gold personal swag coins were also dropped around Utah during a massive cache run with Yalehockeymom on Sunday.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day, and I just couldn't get over the long horizon, lack of green, and abundance of brush (tumbleweed?). Eventually we came upon an ammo can, off the regular numbers-run trail, and I left an unactivated coin there as a gift for the next cacher who was interested enough to leave the ever-so-fun cache-n-dash road for a bit of a view and a short walk. It is entirely possible that someone from SLC found it. Then again, if folks stay on the road, then it may just sit there for quite some time. Either way is great.

Here are the pictures:

977fb0a3-f1f6-4b4b-a42f-49b917b003fc.jpg

7e66f253-24c7-418e-85db-6b78dd4509e5.jpg

As Robert explained, I could not resist dropping personal swag coins in the little treasure chest box at the 6th floor elevator area. Once folks started finding them, it was even more fun. One gold (cache only) coin was hidden in the hotel as well - but I have no idea if a cacher or hotel staff found it. Several gold personal swag coins were also dropped around Utah during a massive cache run with Yalehockeymom on Sunday.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day, and I just couldn't get over the long horizon, lack of green, and abundance of brush (tumbleweed?). Eventually we came upon an ammo can, off the regular numbers-run trail, and I left an unactivated coin there as a gift for the next cacher who was interested enough to leave the ever-so-fun cache-n-dash road for a bit of a view and a short walk. It is entirely possible that someone from SLC found it. Then again, if folks stay on the road, then it may just sit there for quite some time. Either way is great.

Here are the pictures:

Have you heard of the Black Pearl? You know, Captain Jack Sparrow's ship? Well, did you know that amongst that mighty fine crew is the Blue Pearl Poison Dart Frog? It will be revealed in the next Pirates movie. Captain Jack Sparrow carries this magical coin in his pocket, you'll see it in the movie :laughing: I think you should have one :laughing: If you rub the pearlized enamel lightly, you will feel the coin get warm at which time you may seek the magical powers of the Blue Pearl Poison Dart Frog. Be careful for what you wish for, it may show up not quite as you intended :ph34r: Send me your addy and you will be the first to see the magical coin!

tsun

Today I hiked to a cache named Portuguese Bend.

This cache will assist me in completing the Arizona Well Rounded Cacher Challenge or Fizzy Challenge.

I hiked up washbeds. It started out a bit chilly,

there was even some water in the wash.

x2s6lg.jpg

The area had many recent and active mining claims

2ngah61.jpg

and harbored some nasty burrs (each burr is about the length of the last knuckle on my pinky).

2j6483m.jpg

I crossed paths with some javelinas.

2cwom4p.jpg

I warned them off "gently" so I would not spook them.

View My Video

It is hard to see in the video, but a baby is underneath the javelina furthest from me and gets left behind when they run.

The baby started yelping and one javelina returned to protect it.

I got some brief video of that but decided to move on and made wide berth around this area only to scare up another four javelinas with two babies.

Old buildings, maybe from miners

jg2ovt.jpg

Left this coin - a personal from Portugal for the Portuguese Bend cache

5ckq60.jpg

Did an unactivated coin drop tonight in my night cache - GC1Z9WE (Halloween Compass Rose Coin). I will do another one tomorrow night of another but different unactivated Halloween coin.

Just asking for folks to activate and share - not to sell them. Happy Halloween everyone!

We have had the joy of finding a total of 6 Unactivated geocoins in caches.

4 were as FTF prizes :): a Geocaching Colorado Geocoin on our 8th FTF, another on our 15th FTF, a beautiful Sailboat Suncatcher Geocoin on our 67th FTF (a cache dedicated to our own "Roo") :) , a DNF Geocoin on our 70th FTF and 2 Geo Sasquatch coins :) , one silver and one bronze.

The Geo Sasquatch coins were real work to get to.

One was on a rock in Pike National Forest near Colorado Springs, CO (See Log) and the other at the end of a rocky off road excursion (See Log).

4368fb5f-bea7-40a2-b969-9bd9c75f7c04.jpg

"Raquel" and "Rocky"

We have left unactivated coins in caches as FTF prizes also and are hopin' to someday have a coin of our own made for this purpose as well as a "mystery" coin of our own so that we may spread the fantastic feeling it brings.

I've been wanting to have a reason to post here since the thread started, but haven't gotten around to it. Here are a couple Pics from dropping unactivated Look Twice Coins in a Cache that I own today. They are in the Envelopes. The other two are my new Personal Coins(All of those(RE) came PreActivated)

497a580d-1841-4de7-9949-d2cf8d29b0c6.jpg

fbc9d13a-3a2c-49e7-809e-187b74935faa.jpg

Thanks for this thread, which has probabaly helped to coax some people to do this a little more(I know it's an inspiration to me)

Put out a night cache GC 1Z9WE - and for Halloween added an unactivated Geocoin.........and even put out chocolate at the trailhead. As of this post - no takers. Kind of a shame but that's ok. I will pull the coin tomorrow if not found (as it is Halloween specific) and will try it again next year. A busy time of year for all and I realize it.

Here are the pictures:

Have you heard of the Black Pearl? You know, Captain Jack Sparrow's ship? Well, did you know that amongst that mighty fine crew is the Blue Pearl Poison Dart Frog? It will be revealed in the next Pirates movie. Captain Jack Sparrow carries this magical coin in his pocket, you'll see it in the movie B) I think you should have one :P If you rub the pearlized enamel lightly, you will feel the coin get warm at which time you may seek the magical powers of the Blue Pearl Poison Dart Frog. Be careful for what you wish for, it may show up not quite as you intended :rolleyes: Send me your addy and you will be the first to see the magical coin!

tsun

Woo Hoo Congrats Vanell.

It's great to see folks leaving unactivated coins for folks , just because you can, and to hide them around is so cool.Neat Idea.

I left unactivated coins in caches just because , too! It's fun to read the posts when they are found.

Great Job

Today I went after a cache not too far from home. It is located on the false summit of Pyramid Peak on the northern outskirts of Phoenix, AZ. The cache is named Khufu. I had intentions to find this cache some time ago when I found one lower down on the same mountain. That cache is named Ramses. Although Pyramid Peak is not the biggest mountain around, it is quite steep. I turned around after finding Ramses becasue the upclimbing and heat had worn me down. So I returned in cooler weather to get the one near the top.

Pyramid Peak - doesn't look too imposing, but very steep -- fortunately the hike up is relatively short

2zsczmh.jpg

Hot air ballons in the distance (to the north)

sqt4ef.jpg

looking east, highest silhouette at center is of Four Peaks, the county high point (Maricopa County)

2dgwap0.jpg

left this unactivated coin on Pyramid Peak

2dm6x3c.jpg

also dropped this traveller

f5a7wl.jpg

Edited by smgsmg

If anyone is ever passing through Eastern Oregon there is a cache GC1C4T7 right of I-84.

I drop unactivted coins here often.

Me and the kids just went by there and filled the cache up well.

Right now it has a Trackable and Non trackable in a pouch that request you trade fair for them.

Lets see if anyone ever does.

It is fine if they do not but it is worth a try to see if they will.

I will get some photos next time we go out there.

Shane, I meant to post earlier when you posted with the javelina pics. You have a Blue Pearl Cache Hopper coming your way, I think I have your addy on the store.

Been fun seeing pics and vids. Once Sundance has his full series of shots and builds up immunity, me and the K9's will head back out and get some drops in :)

tsun

Shane, I meant to post earlier when you posted with the javelina pics. You have a Blue Pearl Cache Hopper coming your way, I think I have your addy on the store.

Been fun seeing pics and vids. Once Sundance has his full series of shots and builds up immunity, me and the K9's will head back out and get some drops in :)

tsun

Thank you ;)

I hope to continue posting in this thread as these type of coin drops are what got me started with the geocoins

I went to White Point Lodge here in Nova Scotia for a business retreat last week. In the short time between the end of the symposium and the start of the drinking I went out to get the nearby caches. It was dark by the time I got the the second cache and the pounding Atlantic surf was only a few meters away. Luckily the familiar 'rocks piled neatly over a hole' gave away the cache location and I made the find by moonlight.

I left one of my personals there (GCM48V).

I got back to the lodge in time for supper and then helped my mates do some damage to 3 bottles of single malt! :)

I took a short hike out to GC2193X (Calcium Carbonate Cienega Sighting)

I began in the pre-dawn darkness and scared up many a bird as I made my way back to the cache

Sunrise occurred by the time I arrived

I chose this coin because the figures look like owls to me and I figure I spooked a few owls this morning

282ntqo.jpg

the hike in and out was pretty typical desert wash

but the area near the cache is unique

there is a spring called Chalk Springs nearby

it feeds a lush little canyon and the rocks nearby are definitely of a different character (white as opposed to reds/browns/grays)

the area is fenced off to protect it as this area sees alot of use

I could hear many birds below as I looked down on this lush little canyon

afezpx.jpg

Edited by smgsmg

DarrylW4 and I are known to leave unactivated coins in caches. I think all in all we have left behind over 100 coins.

I think it is a wonderful idea and a nice surprise for the next cacher. We are planning on individually wrapping some coins and dropping them into caches for the holidays. Look for them soon! :D

Left an unactivated Antique Gold (Locals Only Version) Little Rhody Horseshoe Crab for the next finder when I did maintenance on one of my caches today.

1de5a1ab-00a9-4440-8af9-8aa9d0a3e844.jpg

(Regular version shown)

Just left another in "The Spot", the oldest cache in the US east of the Mississippi!

Rhode island.... why don't you come to Rhodes island in Greece too? This little one is a beauty and maybe wants to see my island with the same name! :antenna: huh?? Rhode island is not an island???? Well... Rhodes in Greece is an island for sure! :antenna:

I left an unactivated gold Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park geocoin in a new cache I found on Sunday (GC21YKG). It was one of the pair set I bought to pass-along-the-fun for the special coin I won in the cointest.

e294cdd2-9612-4bd0-a913-6a8c4d17c2fd.jpg

This was a puzzle cache, so I couldn't take much in the way of photos at the cache site. This one is from the same hike and shows the general area of the cache.

9111b254-d071-4bf3-acb5-36b12f706d8e.jpg

I haven't posted to this thread in awhile, but I'm still dropping em :) Glad to see so many others are too!

While I was in Cali, I left one in a cache near this view:

0127abea-1b3d-4b9d-90aa-fcbe3d923c69.jpg

ccd1360f-e8bb-4a91-ab30-3935d972ebcb.jpg

Someones found it since then, but didn't mention the coin... So if you recognize the view, it might still be there :P Dropped a few others too, but this was by far the prettiest view worth sharing :D

just finished up GC21TDX, a Monty Python themed multi-cache

this consisted of 5 stages which were relatively short hikes in the desert based on locations in the Holy Grail film

coordinates were found by answering Monty Python trivia

I had fun with this cache and decided to leave at least one coin at each waypoint (I left two at the final)

I didn't get a photo of the coin I left at stage 1, but it was a Tennessee geocaching coin with blue and white spiral center with red arrows pointing outwards at 90 degree intervals

the gorge of eternal peril

oswdn8.jpg

coin left at bridge of death

28i86zm.jpg

coin left at cave of caerbannog

15x4806.jpg

lake view

faq6ig.jpg

coin left for lady of the lake

1z2d1c5.jpg

"gold" coins left at completion of quest

35m1ftf.jpg

2vn3uv7.jpg

although not the worst offender found in this desert, you still need to watch your step

2hozcqf.jpg

did some CITO on last leg

k2l0mx.jpg

Wow....I don't get much opportunity to read the forums of late, but tonight I decided to check them out. I happened upon this section and had to chuckle. We were at SLC for the geocoinfest and were on the 6th floor! We found one of Vanelle's personal coins in the treasure box and so we left one of ours in there. Maybe Vanelle got it?! LOL The next day we decided to snoop in a dresser and found an american flag coin which now I am assuming Right Shop Robert left. It was quite the weekend! And it doesn't even end there! Sometime during the event (I think) someone dropped a "Wishing coin" in my pocket!! Didn't have a clue what it was till I got home and researched it on the computer. Thankyou all for the 6th floor fun at geocoinfest!!! :D

We will be visiting our son in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area for Christmas. These will be dropped there over the Christmas weekend.

b16b8f53-c54f-466f-b105-3876a5d4abf7.jpg

I had 10 coins labeled up and ready to go. Between the 25th and 26th we were able to find 5 caches large enough for a drop. The other 5 will be placed in caches in our area for New Years Day.

visited WW-II Bomber Crash Flag (GCYWDN) today

this required climbing a desert peak east of Yuma, AZ

this mountain was the site of a bomber crash in WW2 times

this area of the southwest US was a huge training area at the time (even more so than today)

alot of debris remains on the mountain

here are some painted crosses (memorials to those that died)

some debris can be seen as well

amfno0.jpg

close-up of some debris

2yzelwz.jpg

a memorial plaque which can be found in the debris field

2dax4l1.jpg

the unactivated coin I left, an avroair aviator seemed appropriate

left a card in coin flip that coin is a gift for next veteran or active duty member to visit cache

2ii8ok6.jpg

Took the kids out for a summer day yesterday. There's a pond out in a wildlife preserve where I just wanted to spend the day being calm and outdoors. Before heading down for a day of fishing, cooking over a fire and basically just messing around in the woods, we visited a special cache. My neighbor and geo-partner left today to spend a year in California. One of her caches is a special challenge cache, which recognizes all the things outside of getting smileys that geocachers do. It is placed at the highest point in our county.

We left an unavactivated Summer Solstice geocoin as a gift for the next finder, and also launched one of my personal coins in the hopes that it makes its way to California to visit our missed friends.

Here we are together in 2008 at my 1,000 milestone.

22e54dda-b5c7-4b5a-8cf4-a2f1c1d51fc2.jpg

Wow....I don't get much opportunity to read the forums of late, but tonight I decided to check them out. I happened upon this section and had to chuckle. We were at SLC for the geocoinfest and were on the 6th floor! We found one of Vanelle's personal coins in the treasure box and so we left one of ours in there. Maybe Vanelle got it?! LOL The next day we decided to snoop in a dresser and found an american flag coin which now I am assuming Right Shop Robert left. It was quite the weekend! And it doesn't even end there! Sometime during the event (I think) someone dropped a "Wishing coin" in my pocket!! Didn't have a clue what it was till I got home and researched it on the computer. Thankyou all for the 6th floor fun at geocoinfest!!! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if you ever inwrapped that coin, but they were a special version made for the Event. Thanks for finding it. Some of my drops might have only been found later by workers or muggles.

Finding an unactivated geocoin is what clued me in to this great aspect of the game. I have fallen in love with Geocaching and with geocoin and as soon as I have a few coins I plan on sending some out into the world unactivated to maybe introduce people to it as well. I already have one in mind. A blue and white football that is the school colors the rival to my hometown and just down the road a few miles. I think I will drop it off there cuz I know they will like it more then me, and it might help give geocoins a boost in this area. :rolleyes: