Your personal coin or unactivated coin drops in GEOCACHES :)

tsunrisebey

I thought it might be kind of fun for us coiners to have a thread where people can come to see actual proof and intent that coins do get dropped in geocaches that are UNACTIVATED or NONTRACKABLES (like personals) meant as swag for the next finder.

I realize that most people don't drop off unactivated coins in caches. I know I've never found one (ok, well once I did but it was one of mine that someone moved to another cache). I've always wanted to find an unactivated coin in a cache, I suppose being a coiner that would be one of the ultimate finds in a cache.

Personally I started leaving unactivated coins in caches because I got tired of my activated coins go missing from caches, people following my caching activities and removing them with no other intention but to keep them. I admit it was tough the first few times to put unactivated coins in caches but after the first few, it became like a game. Sometimes I mentioned it in the log and others I never said anything. I just watched the cache. I do admit there is risk doing it this way also, I have found that the majority of people never log that they took the coin which is disappointing but that's just the way it goes.

I have come to enjoy placing my personal and unactivated coins in caches much more than moving activated from cache to cache. Every once in awhile some logs they found a coin or if it was my personal I get an email and I find something kinda fun about the whole experience. Sometimes it's like a secret that I'm waiting for someone else to discover, there's anticipation to see who might find it and knowing that whoever does more than likely will be over-the-moon when they learn they found an unactivated coin. So yes, there is a selfishness factor in the fact that I derive pleasure from someone else's excitment but is that really that bad? I also see it as a way to thank the owner of the cache since I only leave coins in caches that I appreciate for whatever reason. They get the log first, so they have first shot at the coin if I mention it in the log.

Another intention on my end is it's way for me to pay back the geocaching/geocoiner community. I'm lucky enough to probably release alarger amount of coins because I produce them but it has given me an opportunity to pay it back tothose I can by leaving them in caches. Just ask some of the cachers up in the Kalispell area as I have a couple of supporters up there and I made it a point to get up there this summer and do some coin dropping ;) Sorry for you folks who live far away, lol. However you get the benefit of cointests on FB and the blog.

Sooooooo, I know this thread won't be very active but I'm hoping that some people will make an effort to post some series of pictures or videos that shows a cache you went to and eventually dropped a coin because you felt it deserved one for whatever reason. Please make sure if you post here that you keep this about dropping UNACTIVATED and NONTRACKABLES (personals). Heck, if you find an unactivated coin in a cache, post it here too. I'd love to read about someone who actually finds one:)

I'd like the thread to be multi-purpose in that; this is a place to show others that coins do get dropped as swag, a place to show the community what your geocaching adventures are like (showcasing your community), maybe we can watch the cache too to see who gets the coin, and just because it's fun :laughing:

There's a number of reasons for this thread but in the end I'd like to see some coin action that is strictly swag related.

Please keep in mind that this is not a cointest thread and I am not starting it to be a cointest thread BUT if you post a picture series or video of you dropping off a coin as swag (unactivated/nontrackables - this does not include pathtags). I will pick someone every once in awhile and send you an unactivated coin beause I enjoyed your contribution.

So, I hope to see some video footage and picture series/gallery of a caching expedition where you left a coin.

I'm going to include one of my latest ventures. I don't actually show the coin drop but I did log that I dropped the coin. I know it was taken already but I'm not sure who picked it up, I only found out by accident as I was watching the cache and it appears that whoever did take the coin did leave another unactivated in it's place so I am happy about that!

The cache itself is up towards the NW corner of Montana off of Hwy 93. I was on a road trip with my 2 K9 buddies, we hit Glacier and then I headed up to Eureka, MT and down Lake Koocanusa (which some of you on FB saw my video with me singing with George Strait:D)

Anyhow.... thanks in advance for unactivated coin drops and if I'm ever in your area, I will be like a Montana coin fairy and leaves shiny trinkets for you to come trade for. I'm looking forward to seeing some posting in this thread. I'll be posting more of my own adventures as I coin/cache hop along!

tsun

Edit to add: I dropped the Blue Poison Dart Cache Hopper at this one.

Edited by tsunrisebey

this was a couple of years ago but my former geocaching partner and i decided to place one of our unactivated "code 3" geocoins in a particulary difficult cache (see picture below)...lol...we felt it was like dangling some juicy grapes just out of reach of the fox! the geocache was not one of our own, and the description didn't quite mention the difficult bouldering that would be involved, so it was kind of fun to watch online as cacher after cacher would make the long drive out to the cache only to be defeated by the steep climb involved and so they would place another sad face on the page! i suppose we did have a bit of an evil streak in those days...lol...cool thread! i will enjoy reading the stories here! ;)

Tanks for the Cache Page

418033c0-03d7-425f-a147-023d2568a660.jpg

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

Just traded a unactivated AE personal for a Cache Reaper coin in my Cache Across America MI cache a few days (errr....nights lol) back. I'm thinking that coin was removed by someone who didn't post they took it due to the last logger making no mention of the coin in the cache AND mention that the top was not on properly...I had trouble putting it back on myself (ammo can, top slid down the pins a bit), but I did put it on properly.

Before that, I can't give times, dates or even caches, but I dropped 3 while on vacation in Muskegon(ish) MI and that's just the tip of my dropping iceberg! I am known to leave them behind every now and again, usually when on vacation or in an area I'm new to! That, of course, doesn't count the dozens and dozens I've used as FTF prizes in our caches!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Unactivated chiro-cache coins placed at:

Chiro-Cache 1, Just For Fun - GCZA1G - Jukebox Top 50 Coin mailed to FTF

Chiro-Cache 1, Just For Fun, Redone - GC1DPA6

Chiro-Cache 2, Oh Poo - GCZD96

ohpoo.jpg

Chiro-cache 5, Go For A Drive - GCZZ8Y

drive.jpg

Chiro-Cache 7, For Kathy In Heaven - GCZQNV - Coin mailed to FTF

chiro-cache7.jpg

Chiro-Cache 8, Feeling Grate - GC102QD - coin mailed to FTF

Chiro-Cache 9, County Line - GC1HJHJ - left coin, and yes, it's a micro cache...it can be done!

chiro-cache9.jpg

Chiro-Cache 10, For The Women and Men - GC11JNW - pathtag

chiro-cache10.jpg

AGT-Venango-The Beer Well - GCMZ4N

beerwell.jpg

First PA Gameland - GCQJRH

1stPAGameland.jpg

There's more, but I hope this acts as proof that unactivated coins, personals and sig items (I've left a lot of those,) do end up in caches!

ILYK

Fun thread!

I'm one of the lucky ones in the Kalispell area that has been on the receiving end of tsun's generosity not once but twice. The first time she left one of her signature cowgirl coins and just a couple of weeks ago she left one of her cute Christmas coinaments. Thanks tsun! I've also found one other unactivated coin in a cache although I didn't know until I got home that it was unactivated.

As for leaving coins in caches, I have several times but never remember to take photos. I buy custom printed trackable tokens for FTF gifts when I hide caches. I don't put one in every hide but probably about half get them. Sometimes I note it in the description, sometimes I don't. I left several of my AE Butterfly Kisses coins in various caches and also handed several to people that I met while out caching. Some of those also went as FTF gifts.

The funnest one was an Eclectic Penguin coin. I left it in a TB Hotel and e-mailed the owner so he could run up and get it. I never heard back from him but a couple of weeks later at a meet & greet another friend of mine thanked me for the coin. He had happened to stop by the cache the next day and got it. I had planned on giving him one of the coins too but since he had found the one I left for the cache owner I ended up giving his to the cache owner. We all got a good laugh out of that.

I have another new coin coming out soon and plan on leaving some of those in caches that fit the theme of the coin. I'll try to remember to get pictures when I do.

A great thread...Now I'll have to take on the challenge to document some of the times I leave unactivated Coins. I have left several Look Twice Coins and with a new order of 450 coming, I'll guess that many more will be left. Sometimes I mention in the logs, or send a private email to the owner...sometimes I don't. Something else that I am not unknown to do...Hide special Ccahes for someone, and email them the coordinates(with unactivated Coins inside).I think you might know what I mean??

We can actually thank this practice for me even being here in these forums. The first two coins that I owned were dropped into Caches unactivated by Printr1 and Dorkfish(in two different places). One of those Caches I have dropped unactivated Coins into later, the other one, I need to still do that.

Here are some logs from the first Coin I owned!!

April 27, 2008 by WRITE SHOP ROBERT (906 found)

I stopped here today to wash my windows before entering the gorge (I wanted to shoot a video clip, and didn't want the screen to be filled with dead bugs). While I was here I spent over an hout taking pictures at and around the cache. This is one of my favorites!! Look later for the results of my photo hour. I dropped in some of my newest BINGO! Cards, and a few swag items. There was an unregistered GeoCoin lift by prntr1, so I grabbed that and will activate it to travel around. I'll drop another gift coin somewhere. Thanks for another great visit to a great Cache!!

April 26, 2008 by Calvertcachers (1774 found)

We made this find after visiting a few Utah caches. We enjoyed the drive through the area. Thanks!

April 26, 2008 by Cachew (2898 found)

Peaceful. Thanks.

Cachew - Madison, Wisconsin - Out on a hunt in Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana! -

April 26, 2008 by prntr1 (3074 found)

I didn't see any of the other trackables that are listed in this cache, but I did leave an unactivated Prntr1 geocoin for the next finder.

This was a cool cache,old cemetery caches are my favorite.

TFTC

i have no pictures of the events and in some cases do not remember the cache involved

i did find an unactivated mountain lion coin (Keeper of the Cache) in a cache in Phoenix, it is now one of my activated trackables

i found a tatanka coin left by southpawaz (after i missed out on purchasing some additional ones) in Sea Snail, a rock formation near a reservoir north of Phoenix - i left two unactivated coins as my trade

i placed several unactivated coins in caches at a variety of spots in the Phoenix area, a local cacher was often working the same area and claimed several of these and has activated them (his name is punksoulbrother)

i have left other unactivated coins about and given them as gifts to cachers who helped, such as those who assisted with a map reading challenge (tahosa and sons) or assistance with a Wherigo project (greasepot and sans pareil) - or as prizes in my own caches for FTF and other events (i hid one in a false bottom of the cache container)

i recently completed South Mountain Adventure and found a personal geocoin of Georaptor, I left several unactivated coins in exchange

I also remember leaving unactivated coins at the Arizona Delorme Challenge cache

i always enjoy finding coins and placing some for others to find

if this thread inspires the placement of coins in the wild by one additional person, then that will be nice

now, I just need to remember to photograph my activities and post to thread

We received our first unactivated GC in a cache, logs follow:

June 28 by Gitchee-Gummee (101 found)

OK usyoopers, you encouraged me!

Sure am glad I had that stress-test last week, whew. Not so much that the walk is bad, but I dressed to help keep away the mosquitos - but it didn't help I gave up about 2 pints.

Did anyone mention the return trip is all UPHILL? It's not steep, but don't hurry. Absolutely beautiful area, truly God's country.

Thx 4 the coin. SL, left bear and helped fill coin cache.

Another super cache by BearDawg! TFTC

[view/edit logs/images] [upload an image for this log]

June 6 by usyoopers (1197 found)

Now this falls....wow!

The walk back certainly started easy enough, the last 1/3...expect to find mud, lots of mud. (and ticks) The falls were certainly worth the walk (and ticks), to encourage someone to make the muddy (ticky) walk we left an unactivated geocoin, to help out with the bugs we left Off wipes.

Thanks for bringing us to this great spot but did I mention the ticks??

Since then, primarily because we thought it was sooooooo neat................ give/send/hand an unactivated to people that we introduce to geocaching, as well as others that complete a TBs' mission, etc.

:laughing::laughing:;):ninja::ninja::D:D;):laughing::D:D

It is nice to finally get my own personal. I am a bit of an FTF hound so I know what it's like to make an effort to get to a cache (and they really are spread out here in Western Australia) and be 2TF. So, when I am able to be FTF I like to leave a little something to ease the pain of the 2TF, my personal coin. ;)

"August 24 by <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=cc24acff-7f23-4450-a794-988c0c286d6c" style="text-decoration: underline;">Varuna (1491 found)

2TF @ 12.30pm: What a beautiful parkland that I haven't been to. I would enjoy staying there for a while if I have a spare time. Took: 2TF prize from gardengorilla - thank to her for a beauitful geocoin and donation. Thanks to shael6636 & Shr00mbait for the cache and great location."

Gosh, where to start???? I have never taken pictures, will have to do that next time.

In addition to the coin drop Gitchee-Gummee talked about a few posts up (glad ya liked it!) here are a few more we have dropped.

Mighty Moose GC1V4BD on 9/4...it was just a cute little cache

Drumuda Triangle GCX59P on 8/1....a kinda tough 3 stage canoe trip

Sinkholes Bonus GC1BZX2 on 5/2....an incredible series with some really cool fishing spots

Last year we went caching on my Birthday and I dropped coins all day, I put a sticker on them that said "It's my Birthday but YOU get the present...". One year we cached on Christmas Eve dropping coins with a Christmas sticker on them. We did the same one Easter. We always start a new cache with an unactivated coin.

This one was kinda fun- There are several water caches done up here set up for the winter, ski or snowshoe across the water type of thing. I personally don't like to walk on water and it seemed from the few logs that a lot of people felt like I did. So this past winter we went out (on a VERY cold day) to 3 of them. I dropped unactivated coins in 2 of them but in my logs I didn't tell which ones I put them in, logs went something like this- "We visited 3 of these caches today, at 2 we left unactivated coins...go get 'em!"

They were- (on 2/1)

Nine Pillars- Winter Cache.... GC1AH6T

Seagul Island- Winter Cache.... GC19KTB

John Doe Island- Winter Cache.... GC19NV3

I have always used one of the group projects for our coins, geo-jellies, message in a bottle, big beans, birds of a feather. I'm running out! Anyone in the planning stages for another group coin????

I've been lucky enough to find a couple of unactivated coins in caches.

I found a cool Pay it Forward coin placed in a cache by Avroair, I didn't realize it wasn't activated at first, but when I got home was so excited to find out it was swag (yes I ran back to the cache with a pile of swag the next day :) )

I also found a beautiful coin left by Arrow One in GC1MRP9 I again, didn't realize it wasn't activated. She had mentioned leaving a coin, but so many people had found it between her and us that I didn't even think about it, but luckily since we were far from home, I'd already dumped my swag bag into the can, since it was the saddest emptiest ammo can i'd ever seen!

I made a little note to leave with my coins explaining that they're swag :D I've dropped a couple so far. I left one of my samples up in GCKT84 - Mount Eisenhower

5f4e5824-b0da-4460-855f-97453ee650de.jpg

91ee0489-7e16-40fa-91d0-f37775d740a2.jpg

Which I did with a sprained knee. Nobody has mentioned taking it yet, but three people have found the cache since I did.

All the reasons Tsun mentioned are my reasons for leaving them :D Selfish joy from seeing other peoples surprise at finding a coin to keep in a cache (oh but can you really be upset that it's a selfish reason!) I don't plan on mentioning the drop in any logs, so it can be a surprise :laughing: Giving back to the community. Rewarding a well placed cache with some nice swag.

I left one somewhere in a T-5 in Downeast Maine this past weekend, but I'm not saying where :grin: (and I haven't logged anything yet!)

0efe45dd-7c02-4d36-a18e-999842325157.jpg

quick question: how do I add a pic to this thread?

:)

First your pic has to be uploaded to a server... I used to upload to an archived cache here on Geocaching.com but found it faster and easier to use a free account on Photobucket. Once you've got the full URL address just paste it in a post.... up in the toolbar click on the icon of a tree and paste your URL in the window that pops down.

Edited by Droo

I often leave either a geocaching pin or an unactivated coin in my placed caches as an FTF prize. Come to think of it, I have left your turtle pins as prizes.

My standard swag drop was a Vanelle Carabiner - but I found too many caches! I realized this spring that I only had a handful left. That meant I needed to make a signature coin, of course (yeah, my husband doesn't follow the logic either...). They arrived today, and I'm eager to start sending them into the world. Maybe I can get some caching in after the 999 event.

Thanks for this thread. It will be entertaining to read.

Just traded a unactivated AE personal for a Cache Reaper coin in my Cache Across America MI cache a few days (errr....nights lol) back. I'm thinking that coin was removed by someone who didn't post they took it due to the last logger making no mention of the coin in the cache AND mention that the top was not on properly...I had trouble putting it back on myself (ammo can, top slid down the pins a bit), but I did put it on properly.

Before that, I can't give times, dates or even caches, but I dropped 3 while on vacation in Muskegon(ish) MI and that's just the tip of my dropping iceberg! I am known to leave them behind every now and again, usually when on vacation or in an area I'm new to! That, of course, doesn't count the dozens and dozens I've used as FTF prizes in our caches!

Ich bin glad du found mein coin. Now du verdanken me!

I dropped an unactivated coin in a nearby Tb Hotel ( no not my own hotel) The last visitor took all the TB so it was quite empty. Left the coin and some of my personal signature tags.

I got a nice mail from the party who found the coin :)

This summer in Florida I also left one by accident. I thought i had activated it, but found out i did not when tried to log it. So I changed my log and told that the next finder could keep it. It was a Dutch 2008 geocoin which i wanted to do some traveling in the states. The funny thing is that the coin was found by a caching father and son we had met earlier caching on Sanibel island.

Eastriver, a local cacher who has the distinction of being the person who placed Canada's first geocache (located less than an hour away from where I live), is really good about giving away geocoins.

When I created my first personal coin (which, granted, isn't trackable but it is numbered) I had several metals made. The antique gold version is for FTF prizes on some special caches I place.

islander2006_antGold.gif

The antique copper were for leaving in caches only (still have most of my supply of these to distribute).

islander2006_antCopper.gif

I've also helped each year with our local Lunenburg County Cachers geocoin project, and the first year the copper version was solely for leaving in caches within the county.

LCC2006_copper.jpg

I can think of 3 keeper coins I've found in caches. The first isn't a geocoin, but a military coin I think (probably a challenge coin). The second was a VIGPS coin in one of my caches, which I think I discovered during a maintenance check. I was really happy about this one because it was a version I didn't have and don't think I knew existed till I found it. The third was a JWID "I" coin, which I had been hoping to trade for at least one version of, and he was nice enough to contact me when his family had been in my area and let me know of a cache where one had been dropped.

So, swag coins aren't unknown in Atlantic Canada. :blink:

[Edit to fix typo.]

Edited by islander1988

I thought it might be kind of fun for us coiners to have a thread where people can come to see actual proof and intent that coins do get dropped in geocaches that are UNACTIVATED or NONTRACKABLES (like personals) meant as swag for the next finder.

Well, on the very first cache I ever placed (GC1VF0E) I put in a green MGA pistol coin that was unactivated for FTF. TeamOttlet landed that one; doesn't look like he activated it. I'd won it three weeks earlier at my first event but it wasn't quite the style of coin I collect so it seemed like the perfect thing to put in a new cache!

I'm a big fan of 1) coins!; 2) caches big enough to hold coins at least; 3) caches that take me to places that are really neat, that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. I'll continue to place caches that meet that criteria, wherever possible!

We found our 1000th cache yesterday. It was the Dragonologist Cache (GCZHVF)...we left one of our dragon eye coins in it. We had to use the same dragon script on our coin to find the cache.

8c763161-8663-4f43-8a9c-9cf27ba1996e.jpg

We also left one of Brenda's handmade dragon figures.

6207019a-e43f-4a6f-b39e-7ef880f8e74f.jpg

Along the wat we saw many caterpillars, a toad, and a dead mama snake (with her babies). It was an awesome hide and hike to a fully loaded cache container (the girls were in swag heaven). Inside the box there was a bag of plastic pirate coins and gems (in addition to the other swag). We threw our coin in that bag...should be interesting to see how long it takes someone to notice it.

Since it was a bit of a special cache for us, I went a bit overboard with our log. You can read it HERE. If you'd like. It was definately a cache worthy of find #1000.

edit to fix #...it was 1000 not 100

Edited by DresselDragons

KAboom and I decided to hit some more caches today, so away we went. I grabbed another personal AE coin (I have maybe 5 left) which went into a small container that was lacking much of anything else in it. I've yet to log the last one, this one is still sitting in queue as well. Maybe the last one has been picked up already? I'll get it logged...

ETA...nope, no logged visits since ours. I suppose this might mean it's still there, but who knows if the next finder will even log their find or finding the coin? We'll keep watching...

Edited by Rockin Roddy

I'd like to find this cache :D

this was a couple of years ago but my former geocaching partner and i decided to place one of our unactivated "code 3" geocoins in a particulary difficult cache (see picture below)...lol...we felt it was like dangling some juicy grapes just out of reach of the fox! the geocache was not one of our own, and the description didn't quite mention the difficult bouldering that would be involved, so it was kind of fun to watch online as cacher after cacher would make the long drive out to the cache only to be defeated by the steep climb involved and so they would place another sad face on the page! i suppose we did have a bit of an evil streak in those days...lol...cool thread! i will enjoy reading the stories here! :D

Tanks for the Cache Page

418033c0-03d7-425f-a147-023d2568a660.jpg

mi2o38.jpg

This is the unactivated coin I left at Survivor Cache (GCMQWC) on 09-18-09

I was happy to find this cache as it aids me in completion of the Arizona Fizzy Challenge

I received this coin as part of a grab bag purchase offered on these forums

2998x0.jpg

Here are some interesting contents from the cache container

Logbook - another find

Live shotgun shell - I removed this

Metal guitar keychain which reminded me of the guitar geocoins

6og2o0.jpg

Mine shaft - common site on desert hikes in Arizona

I drove into the area on a well graded dirt road and hiked up a wash system through some desert mountains to find the cache

k385z8.jpg

Looking up washbed to see ocotillo, saguaro,and cholla

28te5xc.jpg

Harquahala Peak to the east - there is an old Smithsonian Observatory located atop that mountain

24wzh47.jpg

Sunrise over the desert

Edited by smgsmg

KAboom and I decided to hit some more caches today, so away we went. I grabbed another personal AE coin (I have maybe 5 left) which went into a small container that was lacking much of anything else in it. I've yet to log the last one, this one is still sitting in queue as well. Maybe the last one has been picked up already? I'll get it logged...

ETA...nope, no logged visits since ours. I suppose this might mean it's still there, but who knows if the next finder will even log their find or finding the coin? We'll keep watching...

This one was logged as taken a few days ago, glad to see someone found it!

I picked up an unactivated coin today and actually tried to activate it without any luck. I like getting the emails as they are moved from place to place and have them in many states. I am confused why you wouldnt want to activate it.

Many of us do activate and release coins, we also like to spread our coins around for unsuspecting finders to enjoy! These are usually "special swag" for the next finder, hopefully they trade fairly though! When not leaving one in a cache, most of my coins are gifted to or won by other forums useers to be activated and entered into the Todie's Wild Ride II race which is meant to remember KAboom and my caching partner who was taken from us in a motorcycle accident a bit more than a year ago. Oh, and to spread bike (motorized or not) awareness. B)

I see a couple logs here that are deserving of a coin ;) I love the ones with the pics! Those are what I was hoping to see but am glad to see people posting that they are dropping unactivated coins too.

I have another round of Cache Hoppers coming in about the 1st week of October. I think a couple posters here may find themselves earning one B)

Off to watch the Griz play football B)

Ich bin glad du found mein coin. Now du verdanken me!

Has anyone else noticed that you can highlight a comment and it'll translate right there in a new pop-up?? NICE!

I don't know how I missed this post, my friend, but I truly dislike owing someone and would like to make amends...an addy would probalby go a long ways to that ends?? B) Shoot me an email or PM and we'll get this taken care of ASAP!

I see a couple logs here that are deserving of a coin ;) I love the ones with the pics! Those are what I was hoping to see but am glad to see people posting that they are dropping unactivated coins too.

I have another round of Cache Hoppers coming in about the 1st week of October. I think a couple posters here may find themselves earning one B)

Off to watch the Griz play football B)

I rarely carry my camera with me, too bulky and expensive to take a chance like that! Maybe I'll find a cheapo deluxe somewhere and carry that! Very kind of you to send people coins, you're a good egg, my friend! An inspiration indeed!

Congrats to those deserving posters!! And, nice pics!

hiked out to White Tank Blast (GC4F44) today

left a coin, for this is an old cache in one of my favorite mountain parks

the coin I left is Lava Lamp - although not true of this park, many of the desert mountains around Phoenix, AZ are loaded with lava rocks, hence my weak stream of consciousness connection

the park is White Tanks Mountain Preserve west of Phoenix

20qz5lj.jpg

started early to avoid the heat, it still got up to 100 degrees today

this view looks east as dawn breaks with the lights of Phoenix on the horizon

29feejr.jpg

a white tank, this is what the park is named for, these rock divots form in certain spots along wash beds, they hold water after the stream runs dry, thus white tanks

the white rocks stand out against the reds, grays, and browns of other rocks in the area

ojpeaa.jpg

dam, have no idea why this is here

33ts5xe.jpg

rattler, this guy greeted me in the wash bed as I left the main trail to head back to the cache

24evzbn.jpg

the coin I left

2f0de2p.jpg

unique saguaro near the cache

Edited by smgsmg

I had Sunday off, so I hopped into the car for an adventure. I was going to leave one of my personals in GCTDFG but I didn't end up finding it. It's a good story, I felt I should share:

DNF: Cache, Found: Mountain Lion.

Actually, I gave up 0.15miles from the cache at Maindenhair Falls, which was pretty dry (I actually didn't realize I'd made it until later at the visitor center comparing their picture with mine). I couldn't figure out which way to go b/c I seemed to be at a very dead end..... I felt a little uncomfortable (I was alone), like I was being watched maybe. Then I looked down and saw a knife lying open on the rocks. Well, gee, I thought to myself why would someone leave a knife lying open on the rocks? Of course, they probably just had lunch there and forgot it, but my mind started playing with me, maybe they took it out to fend off a Mountain Lion and didn't succeed? There had been a car parked at the trailhead when I arrived, and I hadn't seen anyone else on the trail (it was gone when I got back, so I guess they went somewhere else) I picked up the knife, just in case, and put it in my pocket. I decided to turn back, I was just uncomfortable enough to decide a smiley wasn't worth getting eaten over. Though, I was looking forward to a nice spot to leave a personal coin in, I guess I'll just have to come back to Anza Borrego :blink: I'm in California for awhile.

So I started back, casually walking along, thinking how much easier it was to tell which way the trail went going the other direction... I was approaching a big path of boulders, still with more plantlife ahead of me (maybe a couple hundred yards from Maindenhair falls) about to climb down a big flat boulder toward the plants when 50-100 feet ahead of me, in the plants I heard a loud, angry, growl.

Oh. My. God.

I'm going to die out here.

I froze in my tracks for about 30 seconds. A ton of birds flew up and away, squaking as they went.

I backed slowly up to a big boulder and climbed up on top of it to see all around me. One side was to a big flat rock wall, to minimize the directions it could come at me from. Maybe cornering myself wasn't a good idea, but I'm pretty confident I couldn't out run a puma if I tried, so it was probably the best bet. My heart has never raced so fast in my life. I stayed on top of the boulder for 5-10 minutes thinking. Or trying to think. Freaking out b/c my car was in the direction of the growl, and the trail seemed pretty one-way. Should I call 911? Then what, they get here in more than an hour and either I'm food by then or I'm back at the car, having totally wasted their time. Deep breath.. Deep Breath.. Deep Breath. Knees clattering against each other. I remembered I had a knife. Well it didn't help the last guy, but maybe i'll have better luck. Opened the knife in my right hand and held out a hiking pole in my left (up until this point I'd been wondering why I'd brought them for this flat flat trail), and started shouting. I probably would have sounded ridiculus to any human who could hear me, saying everything that would come to mind "I'm big. I'm a big scary human with a weapon. I'm a vegetarian but I'll kill you if I have to. I'm not food. I will not be eaten today. Just turn around, because I'm scarier than a mountain lion., etc. " Made my way down the boulder, and got the heck off the trail. The trail went where the growl came from... instead scrambled along the rocks and boulders that were not where the plants were. Where I could see around me, and kept shouting. I'm not sure where the Mtn. Lion went, I thought I heard more rustling moving away from me, but I just kept shouting and walking until I was back out completely in the open. Then I started laughing.

Never did stop to eat the sandwich I brought, but after it spent an hour in the car while I chatted with the nice volunteers in the visitor center, it was so yummy. Best sandwich I've ever had, probably had something to do with the adrenaline and the relief. The volunteers in the visitor center confirmed that a mountain lion does live in that pretty oasis of hellhole canyon, but assured me attacks on humans are rare (it was probably growling for the same reason I was shouting, to sound big and intimidating and make me go away) and advised me to next time bring a friend. Which I will do. I have a week off in a couple of weeks and my boyfriend is coming for a visit. We'll be back.

I was asked at work yesterday if I'd be going back there after this experience. I didn't need to think, "of course"

Maybe that was a stupid answer. But what would the point of living be, if every scary experience made me stop doing something I love? Of course I'll be back. It was too beautiful not to.

It was gorgeous out there. Hot, very very hot, but gorgeous. I'm having some laptop problems..and Hotel Internet problems, but I'll try to post photos when I can. :anicute:

edit to add: I've found a bunch of CA caches so far, but not left any coins yet. Count on it being a challenge to find one :huh: I'm looking forward to more adventures whenever I find the time.

Edited by ThirstyMick

Out caching yesterday, I picked a cache with an ammo can which was in need of swag to drop another unactivated coin off. Well, we found a LOT of caches yesterday (a lot for us anyways) and, since we had found a SUPER cemetery hide with a nice .23 walk (it was hidden waaay off the road on a closed off entrance), I decided I'd leave another in hopes of bringing others to such a wonderful location. I threw my coin to KAboom who, after a few seconds threw a coin at me...an unactivated Maggieszoo and Waffledad Horseshoe shaped coin with horses on it!!! #53!!

I was going to leave a coin, but was rewarded in the end...gotta love that one!! Nice coin that I'd never see before too, THANKS to the great cachers who left it behind for me!! :)

Made special plans with Ithacadoodle today to spend the morning caching and then treat the family to Thai Brunch. It's become a bit of a tradition for us, and we look forward to the times it can be coordinated. On the agenda for today was the new cache placements put out as part of the 999 NY event. Since I hosted the event, I hadn't yet had time to go find the cool, nine-themed caches published on the same day.

I had both kids with me, and it was that kind of clear, sunny fall day with the leaves just starting to turn that makes you want to keep walking. For any cache large enough, we dropped in gold Vanelle swag coins, and also launched our first personal trackable coin. It was really great to be outside hanging out with the kids and friends.

3b4877d4-2c0a-4709-9b52-8c3f9e23b15a.jpg

Perfect fall day for walking through the world.

dc3739f8-b3d0-47c2-ae6e-c4dcd551235b.jpg

Vanelle trackable - into the WILD!

3d6025af-75b2-47ed-84f0-ca21de06fc5d.jpg

Dropping golden swag

It is difficult enough to release an activated geocoin into the wild! I own only a few coins, but purchased some with the intention of both unactivated drops and active release. Once they were in hand, I found it difficult to leave them in a cache. It can't be just the money, because hundreds of dollars worth of other swag flows out of my swagbag! To nudge myself into doing what I really wanted to do anyway, it was decided if I won a cointest, there could be no more excuses. Guess who won two cointests in two days? :unsure:

This past weekend, my husband and I were staying in Salt Lake City. My first unactivated coin drop was a February 2006 Signal Geocoin left in or at one of the 17 Utah caches I logged. Just in case anyone out there is narrowing down the possibilites, Off the Top Hint: Fpengpu2Iveghnyf (one isn't immediately obvious by the icon) It would be cool to learn who finds it, while understanding that may remain a mystery.

I also ordered the pre-sale set of gibbo003's Uluru - Kata Tjata coins. When my special cointest one arrives, one geocoin from the purchased set will be dropped unactivated into a cache.

There. It feels easier already. Next step, letting go of the new icons that will be missed with unactivated coin drops. :blink: Tsun, how many steps are in this program? Or is it better not to know...

I've dropped many unactivated coins over the years. I admit to a real feeling of "Tee-hee, wait until the person who picks this up figures out it is a gift!"

:D Yeah, I get a charge out of it.

Two of the caches I've dropped at are:

AGT – Forest - Turkeys

and

AGT – Crawford - #8 Thor’s revenge.

Funny, some people will log the find and some will not. I never understand that, but I don't let it interfere with my fun of leaving a shiny behind for someone else to find.

B)

I hate to admit it but I was tired and totally forgot about this thread but I did 3 Cowgirl coin drops on my way home. I was in a hurry to get home after GCF and didn't spend any time taking pics or videos. How sad I am, lol.

Here are the caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bd-7075ec548f4b

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...85-740d10e06558

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...81-05fe1062eb8a

I hate to admit it but I was tired and totally forgot about this thread but I did 3 Cowgirl coin drops on my way home. I was in a hurry to get home after GCF and didn't spend any time taking pics or videos. How sad I am, lol.

Here are the caches:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bd-7075ec548f4b

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...85-740d10e06558

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...81-05fe1062eb8a

I've already claimed the first one! I love it so much!!!!

Well, I have no pics to show for it, but I dropped about a dozen unactivated Coins around the Hotel at GCF...Does that count? Vanelle and I both discovered that there was a little treasure box on the 6th floor that was begging for coins to be dropped into it. Almost every time I dropped another into it, there was another of hers already there(not the same one each time) I left them for other finders, since I already had one. I tried every floor I could get to (without having a special key) and ours(6th) was the only floor that had a box on that table that could be opened...the rest had a Vase, or the box was glued shut. There were other places I left Coins too, and I wouldn't be surprised if some are still there.