Geotagging on the PN-40

Rockin Roddy

When I talked with Michigan Cacheman last week, I told him about the geotagging ability of the OR 550T and how I thought that might be a nice feature. Well, MC emailed me telling me I need to check out my T8 features a bit more, sure enough Geotagging is available on the PN series with T8! Not as simple as with the OR 550T, I'm certain, but seems like it could be a great toy for those of us wanting this ability!

So, has anyone experimented with this yet? Is it all that difficult? Share experiences if you would!

Oh and THANKS MC, great to learn new tricks from a NEWB PN owner!! I wonder why others haven't chimed in about this yet!

Yes, Topo7/8 can show you where you took a picture, if the timestamp on the picture can be synched to timestamps in your track. This is good enough for a lot of users.

But that's not geotagging in the strictest sense. Geotagging usually refers to writing the location info back into exif tags in the image file. This lets you share the image+location data with other people and use other programs. The Oregon 550T does this when it takes the picture, as do other GPSR equipped cameras (and camera equipped GPSRs).

Edited by lee_rimar

......Geotagging is available on the PN series with T8!......I wonder why others haven't chimed in about this yet!

They have:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?t=20289

Most of the Topo USA 8.0, Cache Register and PN-20/30/40 info is over there.

Yeah, I admittedly don't spend a lot of time in that forums! Just back from a cache hunt, will load my track and pictures and let you know how it goes!

Yes, you can open Topo7/8 and have it show you where you took a picture, if the timestamp on the picture can be synched to timestamps in your track. This is good enough for a lot of users.

But that's not geotagging in the strictest sense. Geotagging usually refers to writing the location info back into exif tags in the image file. This lets you share the image+location data with other people and use other programs. The Oregon 550T does this when it takes the picture, as do other GPSR equipped cameras (and camera equipped GPSRs).

You can use Gpicsync (a free app) to sync tracklog and camera timestamps. Gpicsync then will write the exif data directly to the image file, so the images will be tagged, although not precisely when they are shot.

Recently, I've been geotagging film camera images using waypoints. I save a waypoint when I take the shot, and then cut and paste waypoint data from MapSource using ExiftoolGui (also a free app). That lets me enter a created time stamp (from the waypoint) as well as coordinates and elevation.

When I'm using a DSLR, I hardwire it to the GPSR. My DSLR will read an NMEA data stream in Garmin format.

The utility in Topo8 will combine your photos with your track in the program and show an icon where the photo was taken, and when you click on the icon, a larger photo will show. It appears to be very accurate in position, but it does not actually tag the photos with the position.

As mentioned above, GPicSync is a very good tagging program that also creates a nice KMZ file for Google Earth. You can send this file to anyone for viewing on their own computer.

I have only had the PN-30 for a week, and I find that it keeps a nice track log that appears accurate. I have created about a dozen tracks and have been working with them and geotagging. Just sync your camera time to the GPSr time, and when you are done with your hike/trip, save the track. Import it to Topo8, and export it as a GPX file.

The utility in Topo8 will combine your photos with your track in the program and show an icon where the photo was taken, and when you click on the icon, a larger photo will show. It appears to be very accurate in position, but it does not actually tag the photos with the position.

As mentioned above, GPicSync is a very good tagging program that also creates a nice KMZ file for Google Earth. You can send this file to anyone for viewing on their own computer.

I have only had the PN-30 for a week, and I find that it keeps a nice track log that appears accurate. I have created about a dozen tracks and have been working with them and geotagging. Just sync your camera time to the GPSr time, and when you are done with your hike/trip, save the track. Import it to Topo8, and export it as a GPX file.

Something I forgot to mention earlier: If you have images with exif tags, you can use the latest version of GPSBabel to generate waypoints from the image tags.