New World Record - 413 geocache finds in ONE day

ventura_kids

... Again, I never said my math proves it was impossible. But like it or not, the math is correct (yes I know math) and does prove it's improbable.
Your math doesn't prove that it's improbable. It proves that it would be difficult, as any record should be. The very fact that there have now been several record runs that have logged over 400 caches proves that logging as many as the OP is not improbable.
No offense, but the first statement there about the 10,000+ cacher is sorta....well...nonsense. ...
I've cached with high number cachers. They really do find caches super quickly. It's not magic. They merely have the experience and the ability necessary to do the job super fast.
To you, it's a fact. To the rest of us, it is 3rd party. ...
If a person was added to the team as an observer, people still would argue that he/she wasn't impartial enough.
When the GPSr takes you to the middle of a parking lot next to a lamp post for more than the 2nd or 3rd time, is that really something to count for a "record"? It becomes more of a race than geocaching. If someone is a 10k cacher and "found" 2000 identical lamp post caches, 1700 identical guardrail caches etc. etc. should we be impressed? I guess it means something, but it isn't what geocaching is for me.
In that case, I would recommend that you don't take on this kind of challenge.
"Looking" for caches in the dark? What kind of caches can you find in the dark and still stay under that per cache average. Hundreds of caches that can be "found" in 10 seconds, in the dark? Any decent camo can make the search time go up to a few minutes in the daylight much less the dark. Nanos that take 10 seconds to find in the dark. Do they just lay caches out in plain sight over there?
If you put enough light on the subject, it's no longer dark. they had flashlights, noggin lights, and headlights.

It's not as if they were crawling around in the pitch black feeling around for the cache.

Not that it offers any kind of positive proof either way,,, but i'd love to take a glance at a tracklog from one of these runs. It would be interesting to see on a map, all the squiggly lines of where all these cachers had been. As far as i'm concerned, if i ever made an attempt for a record, then this is definitely something that i would want a record of. Not only to show to the curious, but to have and keep for myself. :laughing:

... Again, I never said my math proves it was impossible. But like it or not, the math is correct (yes I know math) and does prove it's improbable.
Your math doesn't prove that it's improbable. It proves that it would be difficult, as any record should be. The very fact that there have now been several record runs that have logged over 400 caches proves that logging as many as the OP is not improbable.
No offense, but the first statement there about the 10,000+ cacher is sorta....well...nonsense. ...
I've cached with high number cachers. They really do find caches super quickly. It's not magic. They merely have the experience and the ability necessary to do the job super fast.
If a person was added to the team as an observer, people still would argue that he/she wasn't impartial enough.

If so, then you did a poor job picking the observer.

When the GPSr takes you to the middle of a parking lot next to a lamp post for more than the 2nd or 3rd time, is that really something to count for a "record"? It becomes more of a race than geocaching. If someone is a 10k cacher and "found" 2000 identical lamp post caches, 1700 identical guardrail caches etc. etc. should we be impressed? I guess it means something, but it isn't what geocaching is for me.

Not in a thousand years.

"Looking" for caches in the dark? What kind of caches can you find in the dark and still stay under that per cache average. Hundreds of caches that can be "found" in 10 seconds, in the dark? Any decent camo can make the search time go up to a few minutes in the daylight much less the dark. Nanos that take 10 seconds to find in the dark. Do they just lay caches out in plain sight over there?
If you put enough light on the subject, it's no longer dark. they had flashlights, noggin lights, and headlights.

It's not as if they were crawling around in the pitch black feeling around for the cache.

Oh without a doubt. It seems they virtually knew where each cache was as they walked up. No searching necessary.

It is somewhat of a no win deal for me. Either they fudged the whole thing or the caches were so so easy that it would be like a pro basketball team playing the 9th grade varsity, and then claiming the record for largest margin of victory ever. While still a very real record, some might poo poo it. Others have said that was how easy the caches are. I tend to think it was one or the other. It's hard to get excited about it either way.

It's hard to get excited about it either way.

Then stop posting. Stop making this a huge argument. Stop caring about what someone posts about a record you consider suspect. If it's difficult to get excited, then don't.

It's difficult to get excited about the "record". I am enjoying the conversation. I hope you don't mind.

It's hard to get excited about it either way.

Then stop posting. Stop making this a huge argument. Stop caring about what someone posts about a record you consider suspect. If it's difficult to get excited, then don't.

It's difficult to get excited about the "record". I am enjoying the conversation. I hope you don't mind.

Point taken about the object of your non-excitement.

However, I just think that there is no point in making drama out of something that changes nothing for anyone else. There is no sanctioning body to measure this so it's certainly not a record that has substance to anyone but those who did it. Whatever they did, it sounds like they had a blast doing it. Your "conversation" is essentially an assault on another person's integrity without any ground proof; I do mind that.

I don't know what they did or didn't do. I'm inclined, because I'm inclined towards Occam's razor in discussions such as this, to believe that the simplest explanation is that these are a very driven, experienced and prepared group of human beings who, in an extremely favorable environment did exactly what they claimed. The complications involved with making something like this up, the fact that it makes no sense to post about it otherwise (why would one subject a false claim like this to scrutiny) and that the accounts of the run are self-consistent and even have outside (chad's pal's note about the local forums) corroboration make me think that either outright acceptance or silence is the simplest, most logical and most decent route. Here is the best part that's totally ancillary to my reasoning: If I'm wrong, I lose nothing. An antagonistic route has essentially zero upside for anyone.

I get bored after 25 or so. Good for you for finding that many!

I was quite excited as we started our run at midnight. We couldn't see anything. There were absolutely no lights out there, and we are city folk. We looked like a nerd herd running from a burning jeep...and then we ran back and drove away....only to do it again a mile or so down the road.

I thought it would get boring, but our group was crazy the whole time.

There was a bit of time I was just running on sugar...... late in the evening.

But when I realized we were running out of time, I decided that part of my job was to keep the team zooming along at high speed. So I asked for the number of finds we were on, and we started yelling out the number at each stop..... 399......400....401.... That really cranked us up, energize wise.

There was one point where a bunch of locals ran over to help us do ....and I quote ....."whatever it is you are doing...because it looks like fun".

If so, then you did a poor job picking the observer.

Not in a thousand years.

Oh without a doubt. It seems they virtually knew where each cache was as they walked up. No searching necessary.

It is somewhat of a no win deal for me. Either they fudged the whole thing or the caches were so so easy that it would be like a pro basketball team playing the 9th grade varsity, and then claiming the record for largest margin of victory ever. While still a very real record, some might poo poo it. Others have said that was how easy the caches are. I tend to think it was one or the other. It's hard to get excited about it either way.

Why stop with doubting the record run? Why don't we start doubting every one of your finds? I suspect you didn't have an independent, impartial observer with you for each and every find you logged, so why should anybody believe you've found any caches at all? Signatures in a logbook could be faked, so where is your proof of finding?

You see taking anything to the extreme can result in rediculious conclusions. When the first person hit 10K finds, someone tried math to prove it wasn't possible in the time since caching started...

Excuse my ramblings, I am by no means a good writer as I carry on. Here are some of my thoughts on this subject. I hope some of this makes some kind of sense.

Everyone should take a deep breath and step back and ask themselves this. Weather or not the Ventura Kids, did or did not do what they claim, is it really going to affect your life? I think not. You will all wake up the next morning, hopefully. The odds of making more or less money at your jobs because they completed this cache run will not change. Your life as a whole will not change, unless you yourself stress your self out over it. So why do that? There are better things in our lives to be doing then slamming the Ventura Kids. They claim they did it, that’s all that matters, for they themselves know they did and if for what ever reason if they did not. They again know that.

My self, I believe they did it no matter what the math says. That’s all that should matter. Why lie about it when there is really nothing to be gained other then the pride in them selves for completing the task.

Now, I’m of to plan a cache run with my kids. That’s what my life is about, Family.

Good job Ventura Kids and happy Caching.

Weather or not the Ventura Kids, did or did not do what they claim, is it really going to affect your life? I think not.

It effects me greatly. It's that many more caches that we're going to have to find when we attempt to beat their record. I suppose we could team up and attempt it together. Our group is going to use a Jeep that has the doors taken off, so I think that'll give us an edge. All those door openings at each stop can really cut into your finds per hour. :D

Okay, kidding aside, I agree. It is what it is. Some believe and some do not. It's that way with a lot of things, and no matter what you say, you're not going to change everyone's mind. I believe they did it. Others do not. Each person has to live with what they believe.

Edited by Skippermark
Weather or not the Ventura Kids, did or did not do what they claim, is it really going to affect your life? I think not.

It effects me greatly. It's that many more caches that we're going to have to find when we attempt to beat their record. I suppose we could team up and attempt it together. Our group is going to use a Jeep that has the doors taken off, so I think that'll give us an edge. All those door openings at each stop can really cut into your finds per hour. :D

Okay, kidding aside, I agree. It is what it is. Some believe and some do not. It's that way with a lot of things, and no matter what you say, you're not going to change everyone's mind. I believe they did it. Others do not. Each person has to live with what they believe.

That's a good point Skippermark. It does matter to the next person/team that wants to break this self-claimed record.

If tomorrow Team Whatamacallit claims they found 600, will the VK team want some evidence or will they pass the torch without question?

It effects me greatly. It's that many more caches that we're going to have to find when we attempt to beat their record. I suppose we could team up and attempt it together. Our group is going to use a Jeep that has the doors taken off, so I think that'll give us an edge. All those door openings at each stop can really cut into your finds per hour. :blink:

That's a good point Skippermark. It does matter to the next person/team that wants to break this self-claimed record.

If tomorrow Team Whatamacallit claims they found 600, will the VK team want some evidence or will they pass the torch without question?

This raises a question that I have been pondering. Perhaps I missed the post but who was the previous record holder? Have they been notified and have they commented?

I'd really like to hear what they have to say on this topic.

Why stop with doubting the record run? Why don't we start doubting every one of your finds? I suspect you didn't have an independent, impartial observer with you for each and every find you logged, so why should anybody believe you've found any caches at all? Signatures in a logbook could be faked, so where is your proof of finding?

You see taking anything to the extreme can result in rediculious conclusions. When the first person hit 10K finds, someone tried math to prove it wasn't possible in the time since caching started...

That would be perfectly fine with me. You don't need to believe my finds. The thing you seem to forget is that I did not go on the forum and announce to everyone that I have set a record. Major claim, Major proof. I made no claim so I don't need any proof. If it was up to me, my find count would not show. I am not in a contest or on an ego trip.

This raises a question that I have been pondering. Perhaps I missed the post but who was the previous record holder? Have they been notified and have they commented?

A cynic believes that there is some selfish reason for setting an unofficial record for the numbers of caches found in one day. The holder of the "unofficial" record must be getting some benefit from it. When someone else claims a new "unofficial" record, the benefit to the previous record holder ends so they would of course upset that someone broke their record and might even demand proof of this.

The cynic does understand the person who is motivated to attempt a record like this simply to provide a goal so they can say "we made the goal we set and now someone else can make a new goal and have the same fun we had meeting our goal". These are individuals and teams who enjoy setting challenges. I have accompanied one of the cachers that set this record on what for her was a difficult and challenging hike, and then see some comment posted by a cacher who does a lot of high terrain caches poo-pooing her log because we took the "easy route". The cacher set a challenge for herself and accomplished it that day and probably doesn't care what others thought of it. The same goes for setting this record. These people really don't care if you disparage the record because they were all easy 1/1 caches or because they used stickers. What is annoying to me, though probably not to the group that did this, is the need to say they didn't do it. I can understand skeptics who based on their own experience can't comprehend how this rate of finding caches can be kept up for 24 hours. I think the skeptics have been answered. The numbers show it can be done, albeit that it is difficult and requires a lot of planing. The cynics however continue to look for a different take on why they think the claim needs to have further proof beyond the stickers that are in the logs of the caches they say they found.

Word Record? NO!

Denver Record? Yes! If all 4 indeed visited the caches.

There are 400 + caches here in Upstate New York (Adirondack Mountains). I'd give you a year to plan your strategy and you wouldn't get 100 caches in a 24 hour period. Why? The distance between them, the difficulty & terrain ratings.

Caching in an urban environment may be these cachers way of geocaching, but it isn't mine.

Congrats on your DENVER Record! Hope you all enjoyed your experience!

Word Record? NO!

There are 400 + caches here in Upstate New York (Adirondack Mountains). I'd give you a year to plan your strategy and you wouldn't get 100 caches in a 24 hour period. Why? The distance between them, the difficulty & terrain ratings.

Caching in an urban environment may be these cachers way of geocaching, but it isn't mine.

And so there would be no point in trying to set a 24 hour record in upstate New York. EVERY caching area has a different density and difficulty. Your point?

Word Record? NO!

I think that you are misunderstanding the relationship between local records and world records.

If I can run the mile faster than anyone ever has in my county, I will hold the county record. However, if someone on the other side of the state has run it faster, I will not hold the state record. If someone somewhere else has been even faster, he might hold the world record.

Also, you might note that the geocaching record has never been 'Who can find the caches that GeoLobo specifies'. Obviously, any one of us could make a list of 20 caches in our local areas that cannot be found in 24 hours. That's not the point. The point is for some friends to get together and see how many caches that they can log in one day. The OP and his buds logged a wicked lot of them.

Word Record? NO!

I think that you are misunderstanding the relationship between local records and world records.

If I can run the mile faster than anyone ever has in my county, I will hold the county record. However, if someone on the other side of the state has run it faster, I will not hold the state record. If someone somewhere else has been even faster, he might hold the world record.

Also, you might note that the geocaching record has never been 'Who can find the caches that GeoLobo specifies'. Obviously, any one of us could make a list of 20 caches in our local areas that cannot be found in 24 hours. That's not the point. The point is for some friends to get together and see how many caches that they can log in one day. The OP and his buds logged a wicked lot of them.

I don't think anyone questions that a bunch of friends got together to find a whole lot of caches but then the team claims a geocaching record. Shouldn't there be some guidelines around what constitutes a "record"?

I don't think anyone questions that a bunch of friends got together to find a whole lot of caches but then the team claims a geocaching record. Shouldn't there be some guidelines around what constitutes a "record"?

If you mean "Official Groundspeak Geocaching Guidelines", I hope not. I would hope they would treat that like they do first to find records.

If you mean "Official Groundspeak Geocaching Guidelines", I hope not. I would hope they would treat that like they do first to find records.

Agreed. Geocaching doesn't need a sanctioning body.

Edited by sbell111

A cynic believes that there is some selfish reason for setting an unofficial record for the numbers of caches found in one day. The holder of the "unofficial" record must be getting some benefit from it. When someone else claims a new "unofficial" record, the benefit to the previous record holder ends so they would of course upset that someone broke their record and might even demand proof of this.

The cynic does understand the person who is motivated to attempt a record like this simply to provide a goal so they can say "we made the goal we set and now someone else can make a new goal and have the same fun we had meeting our goal". These are individuals and teams who enjoy setting challenges. I have accompanied one of the cachers that set this record on what for her was a difficult and challenging hike, and then see some comment posted by a cacher who does a lot of high terrain caches poo-pooing her log because we took the "easy route". The cacher set a challenge for herself and accomplished it that day and probably doesn't care what others thought of it. The same goes for setting this record. These people really don't care if you disparage the record because they were all easy 1/1 caches or because they used stickers. What is annoying to me, though probably not to the group that did this, is the need to say they didn't do it. I can understand skeptics who based on their own experience can't comprehend how this rate of finding caches can be kept up for 24 hours. I think the skeptics have been answered. The numbers show it can be done, albeit that it is difficult and requires a lot of planing. The cynics however continue to look for a different take on why they think the claim needs to have further proof beyond the stickers that are in the logs of the caches they say they found.

So, the fact that the previous record holder is upset, is that the reason that we don't know who the previous record holder is and why they have not chimed into this topic?

In my experience, most prior record holders actually are quite effusive in their congratulations to the new record holders, regardless of the game involved. Yes, there are always going to be spoiled sports but you'd not think that geocachers would necessarily be that way, would you?

I wonder, perhaps there was something 'special' about their record.

So, the fact that the previous record holder is upset, is that the reason that we don't know who the previous record holder is and why they have not chimed into this topic?

In my experience, most prior record holders actually are quite effusive in their congratulations to the new record holders, regardless of the game involved. Yes, there are always going to be spoiled sports but you'd not think that geocachers would necessarily be that way, would you?

That's one theory. Sadly, it doesn't hold up to the facts.

A quick search shows that the three cachers who made up the previous record holding team have a total of zero forum posts. They likely don't know or care about this thread.

Edited by sbell111

A quick search shows that the three cachers who made up the previous record holding team have a total of zero forum posts. They likely don't know or care about this thread.

Don't suppose that you'd want to share the geocaching.com user names and/or the team name used for the record claim of that team, would you? What was their record any ways?

I'm willing to let them determine their level of interest, if any. Considering the tiny fraction of the population of geocachers who bother to post in these forums, it is no great surprise to me that they are not active posters. Obviously they posted their record under their team name and perhaps no longer use that account. In any event you can bet your sweet bippy that there was more than one post relating to their record claim. There always has been and I suspect that there always will be.

So I'd really really like to communicate with them to get their impression of this new feat of 24 hour geocache record setting. It would be really fun to hear from them. Are they still active geocachers?

Edited by Team Cotati

Don't suppose that you'd want to share the geocaching.com user names and/or the team name used for the record claim of that team, would you? What was their record any ways?

I'm willing to let them determine their level of interest, if any. Considering the tiny fraction of the population of geocachers who bother to post in these forums, it is no great surprise to me that they are not active posters. Obviously they posted their record under their team name and perhaps no longer use that account. In any event you can bet your sweet bippy that there was more than one post relating to their record claim. there always has been and I suspect that there always will be.

So I'd really really like to communicate with them to get their impression of this new feat of 24 hour geocache record setting. It would be really fun to hear from them. Are they still active geocachers?

They are active cachers. They all have posted finds in the last few days.

The search function works.

Edited by sbell111

I'm willing to let them determine their level of interest, if any. Considering the tiny fraction of the population of geocachers who bother to post in these forums, it is no great surprise to me that they are not active posters. Obviously they posted their record under their team name and perhaps no longer use that account. In any event you can bet your sweet bippy that there was more than one post relating to their record claim. there always has been and I suspect that there always will be.

You know, I'm just gonna let that one sit and cook in the warm late summer sun. :blink:

If only we had stricter rules concerning threads and the contents thereof. That way the mods could have closed this thread 4 pages ago...

Really, this thread makes us look like a bunch of whiney babies to any noob who stumbles across them. Hopefully the caching community as a whole is not judge by the childishness of either side of this "debate." Either way it doesn't matter....everyone let it go...

You know, I'm just gonna let that one sit and cook in the warm late summer sun. :blink:
Given that the thread discussing this was active just a couple of weeks ago and that you had more posts to that thread than most other participants, I don't feel the need to find you the link.

Honestly, this feels like more of your trolling.

Edited by sbell111

This thread reminded me of the original reason why I stopped frequenting these threads. What a bunch of jerks. I'm not referring to everyone, you know who you are. And if you don't, well, the rest of us know who you are.

Congrats to the team. It's obvious you all had a great time doing something that you found to be fun, and managed to reach a goal in the process.

I just went on a numbers run last Saturday. In 20 hours, my GF and I found 31 caches. However, the 31 caches were in 13 different Delorme map pages, and in 14 different counties. The car covered 856 miles.

Anyone want to call me a liar or tell me how what I did isn't possible? Go ahead. Jerks.

The semantics used in this thread to call someone a liar, then deny calling them a liar... well it's sickening. Where I come from, calling someone's integrity into question without PROOF that they are being dishonest is asking for a fight. Go out there and find that they didn't sign the logs, THEN call their claim into question.

Edited to add: The 20 hours and 856 miles covers getting back home. We stopped caching at about hour 18.

Edited by Okiebryan

If only we had stricter rules concerning threads and the contents thereof. That way the mods could have closed this thread 4 pages ago...

Really, this thread makes us look like a bunch of whiney babies to any noob who stumbles across them. Hopefully the caching community as a whole is not judge by the childishness of either side of this "debate." Either way it doesn't matter....everyone let it go...

I disagree that this thread makes anyone look like a whiney baby. It shows quite well that different people can view geoaching different ways. They can disagree on the reasons they geocache and whether or not they think finding 413 easy 1/1 caches in 24 hours is something they think would add to anyone's enjoyment. It can show that many people experience geocaching differently too and when someone makes claim that you can find a large number of caches in one day, it isn't so obvious to others how this can be possible. It also shows a difference as to how we react to accomplishments of other geocachers. Some will offer congratulations to others for meeting a particular goal while others feel that such praise is not warranted for some goals that seem trivial or silly in the light of how they geocache. I would hope newbies who read threads like this come away with an understanding that not everyone likes vanilla ice cream or that some feel that rocky road isn't even an ice cream flavor (its just chocolate ice cream with marshmallows and nuts mixed in). In the same way, different geocachers get their enjoyment from playing the game in different ways and almost always there will be someone who insists that someone else has strayed so far from the definition of geocaching that what they are enjoying is no longer geocaching. These are my favorite threads in the forums. It may seem like the two sides are yelling "You Lie" at the other, but I think we mostly read each others arguments and try to counter them. Sometimes, rarely, but sometimes, you will even see one side or the other change their position slightly and move toward the the other. If only our politicians could be more like the people who participate in geocaching forum debates. :blink:

Anyone want to call me a liar or tell me how what I did isn't possible? Go ahead. Jerks.

Yeah! OK. Here you go: I don't believe you found a girlfriend who would put up with an 18 hour caching run! :huh:

My wife thinks I'm a little "off". She'll do an hour or two afternoon ride on a Sunday with 5 or 6 caches, but after that...

Lucky dog. Where did you find YOURS???

What if one person in your county does the mile indoors, downhill with a tail wind? The other does it out doors, uphill with a head wind. Who has the record?

Word Record? NO!

I wonder what it would be like if we used what Fedex or UPS uses when they plan their routes. They just put all the addresses onto some mapping program that plots the shortest/quickest route to accomplish the job
They have pretty regular routes that already take that into account.

That said, there are even integrated GPS systems (not the type you will run across at Costco - like a TomTom running their "TomTomWork" version firmware) that incorporate least cost routing algorithms. There are programs out there that will do most of the work for you, too. For most of my caching runs, its gross overkill, but it's a neat toy. You can still do a GPX to KML conversion and run routes automatically on Google Earth, too. I am trying to remember the name of the site.

I don't remember anyone claiming that they didn't sign (sticker) the log. That as we know proves nothing. I am so glad to hear that where you come from there are no skeptics. Where I come from you don't call people names in a forum. Congratulations on your cache record 856 miles in 20 hours.

This thread reminded me of the original reason why I stopped frequenting these threads. What a bunch of jerks. I'm not referring to everyone, you know who you are. And if you don't, well, the rest of us know who you are.

Congrats to the team. It's obvious you all had a great time doing something that you found to be fun, and managed to reach a goal in the process.

I just went on a numbers run last Saturday. In 20 hours, my GF and I found 31 caches. However, the 31 caches were in 13 different Delorme map pages, and in 14 different counties. The car covered 856 miles.

The semantics used in this thread to call someone a liar, then deny calling them a liar... well it's sickening. Where I come from, calling someone's integrity into question without PROOF that they are being dishonest is asking for a fight. Go out there and find that they didn't sign the logs, THEN call their claim into question.

Edited to add: The 20 hours and 856 miles covers getting back home. We stopped caching at about hour 18.

Edited by traildad

What if one person in your county does the mile indoors, downhill with a tail wind? The other does it out doors, uphill with a head wind. Who has the record?

The one who ran it in the shortest time. If they both did it in exactly the same time, the first one gets the record, the second just matched it.

I get tickled at the many do-righters who like to make the "The numbers don't mean anything to me" claims....yet they are often some of the most prolific posters in these type threads....hummmm. B):huh:

My take on the deal is....if the ones who are making the claim truly think they did the claim in a perfectly "sportsmanlike" manner....great.

But anything over about 300 per day & I would start having SERIOUS thoughts that something funny went on. That's 1 find VERY 5 minutes....actually a bit less....with NO stops for rest-breaks, bathroom-breaks, refilling the water bottle, eating a bite, etc. That's 1 cache EVERY 5 minutes, period, for a straight 24 hours. 400 per day reduces that down to about 1 every 3.5 minutes....highly unlikely.

Several things would come to mind, including, but not limited to....pre-scouting the exact locations of each cache, or the majority of them - adding in several "can't sign because of wet log, etc." logs - having friends who had preiously found caches relay the locations beforehand - etc.

Personally, if I ever made the claim that I had found, say, over 200 per day, I would be perfectly willing to go into ANY well-stocked location & show that I could do it again. But I have never claimed to have found that many, so don't have to make that type of agreement. :(:)

..... I would start having SERIOUS thoughts that something funny went on ..... highly unlikely.

I noticed that your location shows up as "West Arkansas". Nothing wrong with West Arkansas, mind you, but it's not Colorado. Now, take a look at my location info.

Now, read back into this thread in case you've missed anything relevant that I might have posted. Want to help those other folks come up with the list?

But your math is accurate. Yup, comes to about 3.5 minutes per cache. Guess I was less motivated. My run in the area (before I got bored after 52 mostly lame finds) only averaged about 4 minutes per cache -- but then again, I wasn't in a hurry, and I spent the time for a few harder ones as well.

Now, given that I live here and have cached the area in question, which of us is in a better position to know the area and whether the run was possible?

Don't take the above too personally. It applies to about a dozen or so people that have participated in this thread, so you're in good company.

Several things would come to mind, including, but not limited to....pre-scouting the exact locations of each cache, or the majority of them - adding in several "can't sign because of wet log, etc." logs - having friends who had preiously found caches relay the locations beforehand - etc.
Or, as described earlier in this thread, you could find a rural area filled with 1/1 caches hidden in very predictable places...

The one who ran it in the shortest time. If they both did it in exactly the same time, the first one gets the record, the second just matched it.

If I am not mistaken there are indoor and outdoor records. When you do a speed run in a car don't you have to do the course in both directions so you get both a head and a tail wind? If you want to claim that you beat someone's record, you need to do it in a fair way on a similar course.

I think traildad is making the point that an official record, or for that matter any widely accepted unofficial record, has a set of tightly controlled parameters so that you are comparing apples to to apples. Running records are usually timed with runners running on a level standard size track. For sprints there are rules about how much of a tail wind you can have. Of course one person may set a record a sea level and another at elevation (like in Denver). One may have a perfect clear but cool day, while someone else is running in the heat or in the rain. There are only so many variables you can control for any record. They have records for running marathons. Marathons are run on all different courses. Sure there are some parameters that the governing body has on course so that a record is claimed, but it is obvious that some marathons are run faster than than others, and since the courses are set up on city streets, the course for a given marathon often changes from year to year. Perhaps traildad objects to calling something a record when the person setting the record was the one that chose which geocaches they were going to attempt. There seem to be many unofficial records like this and even official records where the record breaker has some say as to where the record would be set.

In this case the main work seems to be the preparation that went into setting this record. First there was the examination of prior claims for the most caches in 24 hours in order to determining what number could be reasonably called a record. Then there was the setting of ground rules so that the general community would accept this and so that the record attempt would be in line with the prior claims. In all likelihood, this team made the ground rules somewhat stricter than they needed to compare with prior records and seemingly not strict enough to satisfy everyone in the community. Finally there was the selection of the area where the attempt would be made and the planning on how to accomplish this. Just for doing these things the team should be congratulated. Instead we have doubters and cynics who just won't agree that anything of importance was accomplished. So they attack the record by claiming it is not a record. You can't really argue with someone who has made up their mind.

...But anything over about 300 per day & I would start having SERIOUS thoughts that something funny went on.

That's 1 find VERY 5 minutes....

....highly unlikely.

You posted this note without having read through the previous pages where all your points have been addressed.

It is actually pretty good reading right from page 1. For each page first search (Control Find) for "ventura kids" and then "ecanderson". That will give you the specific details and facts about this record run. Any remaining questions you have after that might be interesting for this group.