Piebald Deer- Rare Brown and White Color

tadpole379

I saw this deer while caching in Campgaw, and managed to get a good picture of it. I googled it when I got home, because I had never seen a deer with this coloration. From what I found online, it is a whitetail deer with a genetic abnormality that causes the unusual color. The genetic defect can also cause some other physical birth defects, but the deer we saw looked normal except for the color. Only about 1% of the deer population will have the defect, so it was a rare thing to see!

e3b0b635-29f4-42ad-92d0-e6e2088ba305.jpg

Wow - very nice picture :laughing:

There was one of these guys/gals a few years back in the New Brunswick, New Jersey area in the woods near this cache: Magoo's Multi in the Mud

It had a dark head but a completely white body so it almost looked headless from a distance :anibad:

This is a picture of that one that someone else took - not a great shot but better than any I got:

7290bbe6-06c1-4393-81a3-db1b90252833.jpg

Edited by trowel32

Uncommon yes, rare..... no! At least in MI.

Actually are huntable here, albinos on the other hand are protected. :laughing::anibad:

Part of the reason not very common is that as a newborn, they have no/or less camouflage, therefore are much more heavily gathered in by predators. I believe Darwin addressed this, what?

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

That is so cool. You were very lucky!

There are more of them all the time, some believe that when the population is stressed, this is what comes about. I do not hold with that theory, I believe the ancient lore and see them for what they are, an omen or portent. Be most ready.

http://www.orangecountyweb.org/legends.html

As for being lucky, think not, there is a considerable lore as it respects this type of deer, especially in the hunting community.

Edited by Packanack

Actually are huntable here, albinos on the other hand are protected.

Albinos, or genuine White Deer?
These deer are not albino, but instead carry a recessive gene for all-white coats

Shows what evolution can do. An inbred group can make a recessive gene the norm. The Hercules Powder Plant in Kenvil was fenced in well enough to keep deer from entering or leaving. All of the deer were white. I'm not sure what happened to them since the plant closed. With 250 years of gunpowder in the soil, I doubt that anything can be done with the land.