2 mile hike in the dark to find a bison tube

Puppy Dawg

If I put out a nightcache that involved hiking two miles only to find a bison tube right where you started, what would you think? Please share your thoughts about this idea. Please do not respond to this thread so that we can get it to die before any locals see it. I'd say my question has been answered.

Edited by Puppy Dawg

Anyone who thinks that the cache is the point of a hike is doing it wrong! :anibad:

There's an eight-mile multi on a loop trail in a local state park where the final is within 300' of the start. Everyone who does it seems to enjoy it, and no one to my knowledge has given away the final. Trust me, I've tried every devious way I can think of to get it out of them!

There's also one at a sports complex here that leads you back and forth across the park counting things. You cross the park four times to end up where you started, and it's a bison tube.

Tell them on the cache listing that it's a micro; then they can choose whether to hunt it, and they'll have no grounds for complaint.

Please share your thoughts about this idea.

What are your reasons for intentionally selecting a cache incapable of supporting swag, signature items, geocoins, travel bugs and verbose written logs? Obviously, the choice for the final is completely up to you, but it does strike me as curious. I support the oft stated mantra of hiding as large as a cache as the area will support, and I'm wondering if your ground zero will only support a micro, or do you have other reasons?

While night caches are my all time favorite hides, this one would not survive my PQ filters.

If you were inclined to hide something a bit larger, you could have the two mile hike lead to a bison tube, with coords inside, leading to a reasonably nearby ammo can. That's kinda how I set up my 3 night caches. Or you could put the ammo can somewhere along the trail, (at the apex of the loop?), and continue the reflectors to lead folks back to the parking area.

From the talks I've had with a few gazillion geocachers, if all else were equal, they would enjoy a larger cache more than a smaller one.

That being said, if your muse calls for a micro, then that's what you should hide. :anibad:

We followed groupings of firetacks in the daytime, went right at one point and eventually came back to that same point. It was a lovely park in the day time, close to our airport. Had we done the tour at night...I probably wouldn't have realised we had gone right by the cache site. Very crafty...and no spoilers had been posted. It was actually voted one of the best caches too by fellow cachers in the BCGA. It was larger than a bison tube though, but not very large...just a regular small L&L.

Good luck with it...sounds interesting!

There's an eight-mile multi on a loop trail in a local state park where the final is within 300' of the start. Everyone who does it seems to enjoy it, and no one to my knowledge has given away the final. Trust me, I've tried every devious way I can think of to get it out of them!

I wish we had more cachers like that in our area. I put out a 2 km night only multi cache. After 5 finds, people were passing around the coordinates for the final so that others could do it during the day.

If the hike was a nice night hike and not an exercise in frustration I wouldn't care what the final was like.

That being said a bison tube can be hard to find at night for someone like me who doesn't have very good night vision. Even with a good flashlight I sometimes have trouble finding caches at night. If you hide a bison tube please give a really good hint.

A film can is about the biggest I can fit here, all the plants are roped off. Also, there's no rocks to hide it under. Might be able to use an altoid tin, though. :anibad:

Are your physical stages blocking areas where a small or regular might fit?

Anyway, just as long as you make two things clear, the cache size and the length of the expected hike, I would be fine with it.

A film can is about the biggest I can fit here, all the plants are roped off. Also, there's no rocks to hide it under. Might be able to use an altoid tin, though. :anibad:

Are your physical stages blocking areas where a small or regular might fit?

Anyway, just as long as you make two things clear, the cache size and the length of the expected hike, I would be fine with it.

There's about 10 feet of space to work with at the start. But then again, the gap I mentioned earlier just might work with a 5-gallon bucket. :laughing: