GSAK TO PN

Hi folks. I'm not a real tech savvy person and I was just starting to use GSAK for very basic functions like creating filters (if anybody's not familar with filters using my very dummed down terminology a filter is basically like a Pocket Query). I've recently switched to a Delorme PN, but was mildly disappointed when I found out GSAK at the time would not work with Delormes, but that they were working on it.

So my question is, Is GSAK ready for a very non tech savvy person like me to start using with this Beta version? Or, is it still so early in the process that you'd only recommend those with some computer knowledge use the Beta version since Beta I think means it's in an experimental stage?

I love my GSAK and can't wait to use it with my Delorme, but I don't want to take a chance on maybe something getting messed up that I'd have no idea how to fix.

Hey Rod. There are lots of folks who are way smarter than me on most things GPSr related, including GSAK, but if once this is ready to be used if you'd like I'd be happy to swing by your area to show you how simple it is to basically build PQs (ok the correct terminology I believe is Filters, but to my mind it seems about the same as a PQ). That way say for example when you go on the road if you find youself near say Alpena and you know you only want to hunt for simple multi's and only within 3 miles west of Alpena you can build yourself a quick Filter to do that. I can't help you with anything beyond very basic filters similar to my example, but for that alone I think it's worth every penny of the $25 or whatever Clyde charges. There are also from what I hear tons of awesome other things you can do with GSAK, but those other things are over my experience level. Anyways if you ever want to see a tiny bit of what GSAK can do and if you don't have anybody in your area that you can ask holler and I'll run over there. It would all be in my very dummed down laymens terminology, but I think you'd understand it good enough to decide if it's a tool you could use.

Thanks in advance to anybody that can answer my question about if it's advisable for somebody like me to use GSAK for Delormes yet. Happy caching everybody! :anibad:

Why don't you ask that question over on the GSAK forums?

Jim

Hi Jim. The reason is when I first started messing with GSAK I was told that the folks over there aren't as understanding as around these forums that not everybody is tech savvy so they can be kind of curt in replying to questions that they consider a waste of their time. If somebody here is interested in trying to help me out with an answer that's great, and if not then I'll have to decide whether I want to make that initial jump into the forums over there and find out if what I'd been told about them is accurate or not. It's not a matter of life and death to me, but I'd like to get back to using GSAK if things look pretty stable with it. So yeah, that's probably kind of a lame explanation, but that's where my thought process is at. Yes, I do realize some day I'll need to just be brave and ask questions over there, but I see all the technical talk over there and it's quite intimidating to me. Yep, it's silly, but that's just the way I am. ;)

Why don't you ask that question over on the GSAK forums?

Jim

Hi Jim. The reason is when I first started messing with GSAK I was told that the folks over there aren't as understanding as around these forums that not everybody is tech savvy so they can be kind of curt in replying to questions that they consider a waste of their time. If somebody here is interested in trying to help me out with an answer that's great, and if not then I'll have to decide whether I want to make that initial jump into the forums over there and find out if what I'd been told about them is accurate or not. It's not a matter of life and death to me, but I'd like to get back to using GSAK if things look pretty stable with it. So yeah, that's probably kind of a lame explanation, but that's where my thought process is at. Yes, I do realize some day I'll need to just be brave and ask questions over there, but I see all the technical talk over there and it's quite intimidating to me. Yep, it's silly, but that's just the way I am. ;)

What you have been told simply is not true. Kia Team, Lignumaqua and Clyde are very helpful and quite patient. I would say the GSAK forums are more helpful than what is found here. The experts are on the GSAK board and are not found here. I've followed the PN thread a bit and there are some very knowledgeable people working on it and knowing what they are like they will give you help. Over on the GSAK board you get not only the explanation but 27 8x10 glossy photos. As for being curt I will say the moderators ask some very specific questions and if the poster does not answer the questions they get an answer that asks the same questions again or it is pointed out you need to answer the questions before we can help you more. Seems fair to me.

Jim

27 8x10 glossy photos.

With circles and arrows and numbers on each one!? ;)

This reference made me smile soo big it hurt!! I apologize for replying off topic, but I just had to acknowledge it. Make sure you "pick up 'da garbage" so you don't go to jail for bein' a litter bug. lol

All the best

Edited by DeadHead82

Hi Jim. Thanks for correcting my misconception based on what somebody else had told me. In a little bit after I finish fighting with the DirectTV that isn't working I'll have to go over there and introduce myself and ask for their best advice. While I'll admit I'm still a tad apprehensive I do feel better after hearing your assurances that they really are nice folks who want to help. Thanks for the education. With all the nice electronic toys and software we get it can be intimidating sometimes. Have a safe Labor Day everybody and happy caching! Robert ;)

Hi everybody. In an earlier post I expressed a real reluctance to post a question over in the GSAK forum. The reason I was so reluctant was because of something that was said to me by another person. After Jim encouraged me to not be shy about using the GSAK forum I kind of bit the bullet and did it.

The results were very fast and very pleasant. Very shortly after posting my question Clyde (who I think I've heard is the creator of GSAK) replied and was very professional and friendly. So the bottom line here is I did not want others to read my earlier post and feel a similar reluctance to participate over on the GSAK forum if they need or want to.

So tomorrow morning I'll be test driving the Beta version and then at Clydes request I'll post my feelings on how the Beta worked for somebody at my skill level (which is pretty darned low). So folks please do not hesitate to post over there based on my earlier post here. I was wrong in my earlier fear. Thanks Jim for helping me to get over what turned out to be an unrealistic fear.

Robert ;)

M C,

Give it a try. It should not mess up the PN. It will either load or it wont. If not do it the way you have been.

I played more today and no problems!

Also the people here help very much as do the ones over at GSAK. The way it was explained is correct Ask a good question that they can answer and they do it with style! :laughing::D:D:D:D

Have fun with it.

Randy

Hi Randy. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll be test driving it tomorrow! It sure will be nice to have GSAK at my disposal again. Have a great Labor Day! Robert ;)

Thanks Clyde!!!!!!!!!!

Robertlipe did 95% of the work for this. I would suggest thanking him, even though (AFAIK) he doesn't see a cent of your money.

It would be nice if you could research your facts before jumping in with such comments.

The main contributor to the implementation of the delbin support in GPSBabel is actually "Paul Cornett". This being acknowledged in the GSAK forums here

It is no secret that GSAK uses GPSBabel for much of it's GPSr communication. I am very thankful for the help provided by Robert Lipe as cheif babel head, and the GPSBabel logo features prominently on the home page of GSAK and also in the "Help=>About" screen of GSAK.

I also put my money where my mouth is. I have long been a financial supporter of the GPSBabel project, making regular donations since GPSBabel was first included with GSAK (which can be confirmed by Robert Lipe if in doubt) which now amount to over thousands of dollars. In fact, I only just recently made an extra large donation in recognition of getting the Delorme GPSr support off the ground.

Edit: added forum link

Edited by ClydeE

Confirmed on all points. Paul Cornett did the bulk of the delbin implementation. I did integration, testing, support, and coding of a few features for the GSAK as well as assisting Clyde and the group in the integration into GSAK. My investment is nowhere near 95% of the total.

Clyde and GSAK has been - by far - GPSBabel's longest running financial supporter and the most open about the use of GPSBabel. Of all the projects that use GPSBabel, it's the only one regularly helping with the costs. In a world where legal and financial hassles take an increasing share of my time in the GPSBabel project, I'm very happy with the GSAK relationship.

This was what I posted in the GSAK forums.

I have tried it and so far it kicks butt on everything else!!!

I have nothing to add but I have to say. Clyde and rest of you working on this thank you, thank you, thank you.

You folks are so awesome and helpful!!!!

I really appreciate the work and time you put in!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Randy

YYYYYYYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEE

Again Thanks to everyone for your work on this!!!!!

Clyde still rocks -

Hi everybody. I'm definitely not a very tech minded person, but with that info being put out there for readers I just wanted to say that I've test driven the Beta portion of GSAK that deals with bringing support to the PN series and I have to say I'm tickled to death! :laughing: In the past when I had my Vista HCx I loved the fact that I had the capability to create filters using GSAK that basically gave me the power to create the equivalent of Pocket Queries while on the road and not having access to the internet. Well, once again I have that capability and life just keeps getting better and better all the time!

I guess once it's fully implemented into GSAK and is no longer a Beta project (or whatever the correct terminology would be) then new Delorme owners who already have GSAK (an awesome product at an awesome price in my opinion) will no longer need to buy the Cache Register software since GSAK will not only do what Cache Register did, but it will do it better. For the $10 I paid for it I feel the Cache Register software was a very good deal and I don't regret buying it, but at least for GSAK users I foresee Cache Register going the way of the dinasaurs and fading away as not needed. I'm just kind of thinking out loud for others to mull over for their future recommendations on what a person who buys a Delorme may want to consider also purchasing.

I tip my hat to Clyde and all the other folks over there that are working on this project to get it from the idea stage to a reality. Thanks to your efforts I'm now even happier than I was with my PN-40. Thanks a bunch! :laughing:

Edit to add: Thanks also to The Finch Farmers since if you hadn't brought the Beta to my attention I'd have never known about it. Giving me the info that the Beta was available was a great gift and it's appreciated more than you will know. Have a great week! :laughing:

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

Hi everybody. I'm definitely not a very tech minded person, but with that info being put out there for readers I just wanted to say that I've test driven the Beta portion of GSAK that deals with bringing support to the PN series and I have to say I'm tickled to death! :laughing: In the past when I had my Vista HCx I loved the fact that I had the capability to create filters using GSAK that basically gave me the power to create the equivalent of Pocket Queries while on the road and not having access to the internet. Well, once again I have that capability and life just keeps getting better and better all the time!

I guess once it's fully implemented into GSAK and is no longer a Beta project (or whatever the correct terminology would be) then new Delorme owners who already have GSAK (an awesome product at an awesome price in my opinion) will no longer need to buy the Cache Register software since GSAK will not only do what Cache Register did, but it will do it better. For the $10 I paid for it I feel the Cache Register software was a very good deal and I don't regret buying it, but at least for GSAK users I foresee Cache Register going the way of the dinasaurs and fading away as not needed. I'm just kind of thinking out loud for others to mull over for their future recommendations on what a person who buys a Delorme may want to consider also purchasing.

I tip my hat to Clyde and all the other folks over there that are working on this project to get it from the idea stage to a reality. Thanks to your efforts I'm now even happier than I was with my PN-40. Thanks a bunch! :laughing:

Edit to add: Thanks also to The Finch Farmers since if you hadn't brought the Beta to my attention I'd have never known about it. Giving me the info that the Beta was available was a great gift and it's appreciated more than you will know. Have a great week! :laughing:

Let me start by saying how much I appreciate the hard work of all those involved with GPSBabel, GSAK and especially those involved in GSAK/PNXX support.

Now I must add that your statement that GSAK can now do what Cache Register does is incorrect. To my knowledge GSAK has no way to communicate directly with GC.com as Cache Register does. You still have to receive your PQs via email and send them to GSAK yourself. There is talk that eventually there will be no PQs delivered via email and I hope GSAK will have support for the new system.

Let me start by saying how much I appreciate the hard work of all those involved with GPSBabel, GSAK and especially those involved in GSAK/PNXX support.

Now I must add that your statement that GSAK can now do what Cache Register does is incorrect. To my knowledge GSAK has no way to communicate directly with GC.com as Cache Register does. You still have to receive your PQs via email and send them to GSAK yourself. There is talk that eventually there will be no PQs delivered via email and I hope GSAK will have support for the new system.

Hmm. Your statements make sense and I certainly won't argue them. I guess we looked at it from different angles. I have no doubt you are correct in your comments while my comments were pretty vague due to my lack of expertise. What I was referring to and was probably not communicating clearly was that Cache Register only loads the contents of the PQ into my PN which is a very good thing and I felt it was well worth the $10. Compared to dragging the PQs into GSAK and then I have it at my disposal no matter where I take my laptop and can manipulate the filter to find say 10 caches of a certain type in this area, go down the road do the same and keep repeating it over and over as needed without ever having to connect to the internet. The advantage to me is say if my filter was set for only showing multi caches I wouldn't have non-multi caches taking up space on my PNs screen. Where with the Cache Register as far as I know (I very well could be wrong and it certainly wouldn't be the first or I'm sure the last time it will happen) you have to pretty much download either all or none of a PQ. I personally just like to be able to have PQs that have everything available and then I like to GSAK to manipulate the data to meet my exact desires at that moment. Thank you for the education though since I've learned from your reply. Have a great day! :laughing:

Edit to add: Another advantage in my example above would be that if I'm only wanting to hunt say multis at the end of marking my field notes after each cache my PN asks me if I want to go to the next nearest geocache. Well if I don't have the traditional caches filtered out (which I can do with GSAK) then it may try and send me to a traditional cache even though my preference on that particular day would only be to hunt for multis. GSAK filters out the excess "stuff" from a PQ that I may not want at that moment in time. Hopefully that kind of makes sense. Regardless I'll stop writing now and kind of fade away myself. Have a good night folks!

Edited by Michigan Cacheman
Hmm. Your statements make sense and I certainly won't argue them. I guess we looked at it from different angles. I have no doubt you are correct in your comments while my comments were pretty vague due to my lack of expertise. What I was referring to and was probably not communicating clearly was that Cache Register only loads the contents of the PQ into my PN which is a very good thing and I felt it was well worth the $10. Compared to dragging the PQs into GSAK and then I have it at my disposal no matter where I take my laptop and can manipulate the filter to find say 10 caches of a certain type in this area, go down the road do the same and keep repeating it over and over as needed without ever having to connect to the internet. The advantage to me is say if my filter was set for only showing multi caches I wouldn't have non-multi caches taking up space on my PNs screen. Where with the Cache Register as far as I know (I very well could be wrong and it certainly wouldn't be the first or I'm sure the last time it will happen) you have to pretty much download either all or none of a PQ. I personally just like to be able to have PQs that have everything available and then I like to GSAK to manipulate the data to meet my exact desires at that moment. Thank you for the education though since I've learned from your reply. Have a great day! :laughing:

I agree, which is why I'm still an avid user of GSAK.

Edited by Pax42

Not sneezing at GSAK as I use an earlier versioin extensively with my Topo, but the PQ can filter the types of caches you want to receive.

CR and GSAK are two different products arriving to the same solution with deliverying what you want the way you want it.

I'll be updating my software as soon as funds are available.

CR and GSAK are two different products arriving to the same solution with deliverying what you want the way you want it.
There's some overlap, but they're really targeting different markets.

Cache Register is one of only two applications that can download Pocket Queries directly from Geocaching.com (the other is Groundspeak's Geocaching App for the iPhone). This is unbeatable simplicity and convenience -- but you're limited to the kinds of PQs and filters you can set up on the GC website, and of course it's only for DeLorne's customers. TARGET: DeLorme geocachers who were previously left out of the 3rd party software game.

GSAK is a full featured database program that lets you create queries with an almost ridiculous kind of specificity, and communicate these to almost any GPS (thanks to Robert Lipe &c's GPSBabel component). TARGET: The entire world of Geocaching, novice to geek, with practically any brand of GPSR.

I'm a little puzzled why GSAK doesn't already have access the same API as the iPhone and DeLorme apps have?

Edited by lee_rimar

I'm a little puzzled why GSAK doesn't already have access the same API as the iPhone and DeLorme apps have?

That would be great, but I suspect it has something to do with building off line databases and some folks insane desire to have a database of all the caches in their state along with the surrounding states that is updated on a daily basis. Sadly I don't think it will ever happen. If your forced to use the present PQ model the building of the off line databases is throttled.

Jim

I have had discussions on using the API. Good news is that I haven't been officially refused as yet, but the Status Quo at the moment is "they will get back to me".

Edited by ClydeE

That would be great, but I suspect it has something to do with building off line databases and some folks insane desire to have a database of all the caches in their state along with the surrounding states that is updated on a daily basis. Sadly I don't think it will ever happen. If your forced to use the present PQ model the building of the off line databases is throttled.

Jim

You might consider it insane, but it allows me to utilize all of the information for the state offline when planning hikes. I'm not hitting any Google Earth limits and I'm not hitting my PQ limits. I would quickly reach my limit on the PQs if I were to depend upon the direct draw method as it is not all inclusive nor all ecompassing. It is a useful tool in this regard as I'm not limited to how many GPX files I can create to show on the map before I decide on the hike.

I also must applaud the skills of the GSAK folks!!! :(

What a tremendous tool! I have been using heavily on my Garmin 76CSX, my daughters Vista HCX, my Oregon 200, and Delorme PN-40 WITHOUT a Hiccup! The paperless PQ capabilities are amazing. :D

I have been having a lot of fun exploring the GSAKs features on not just my Oregon but NOW my PN-40 also (god I wish this thing had a bigger screen and better power conservation. LOL :) ).

This program really rocks! :D

I spent a good part of yesterday uninstalling a bunch of redundant software that GSAK has replaced. YeeeHaaww!

Clyde and the members of your team, thank you very, very much!!!

Oh and btw, did I say I really liked this program? :lol:

Kindest regards,

N

Edited by Native20559

Build # 35

I went to the thread in the GSAK forum, but each new build says the prior build needs to be in place. How do you start with this? I did try the latest build, but it didn't work.

How do I get this done? I willingly admit I suck at technology. To me, certain functions of the PN-40 does have a steep learning curve, despite what others say/

Thanks.

Build # 35

I went to the thread in the GSAK forum, but each new build says the prior build needs to be in place. How do you start with this? I did try the latest build, but it didn't work.

How do I get this done? I willingly admit I suck at technology. To me, certain functions of the PN-40 does have a steep learning curve, despite what others say/

Thanks.

The beta is no longer needed. The official release with PN40 support came out last week. If you download the latest official version from the GSAK homepage, it should work.

Build # 35

Thanks.

The beta is no longer needed. The official release with PN40 support came out last week. If you download the latest official version from the GSAK homepage, it should work.

The production version is a full install. So that's all you need.

Build # 35

Thanks.

The production version is a full install. So that's all you need.

Thanks, but just did that and it doesn't work. Get a message Cannot open file C:\PROGRA~1\gsak. So, posted it over in the GSAK forum to see what that might mean.

Isn't technology great :blink: