Came across Marijuana plants while doing maintenance

DIDS

Hi All,

This is a first for me. Recently a user logged a DNF on my cache so I went out today to verify the cache was still there. When I was going to the cache I came across 2 marijuana plants in pots 5 feet away from my cache. I immediately left the area the exact way I came in and drove to the local Sheriff's department to report it.

I led the Sheriff's back to the plants and we discovered 2 more plant pots but they were empty. It looks like the marijuana was already harvested from those pots. One of the Sheriff's didn't seem to like geocacher's to much due to an incident that happened with a bomb scare involving someone else cache.

I disabled the cache temporarily and will keep an eye on the area. Should I just archive it or if no more plants pop up should I re-enable the cache after a month or so? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

DIDS

Hi All,

This is a first for me. Recently a user logged a DNF on my cache so I went out today to verify the cache was still there. When I was going to the cache I came across 2 marijuana plants in pots 5 feet away from my cache. I immediately left the area the exact way I came in and drove to the local Sheriff's department to report it.

I led the Sheriff's back to the plants and we discovered 2 more plant pots but they were empty. It looks like the marijuana was already harvested from those pots. One of the Sheriff's didn't seem to like geocacher's to much due to an incident that happened with a bomb scare involving someone else cache.

I disabled the cache temporarily and will keep an eye on the area. Should I just archive it or if no more plants pop up should I re-enable the cache after a month or so? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

DIDS

Sounds like an interesting First To Find bonus. :anibad:

Sounds like you did the right thing. Pot growers use public land out here in Northern California all the time. Once a grow spot is found out they are unlikely to return, so your probably alright to re-enable after some time to be sure.

See this is one of the reasons that I don't get why the park service and police alike like geocaches. You could have very well not reported it, either reaping the benifits for your self or just turning a blind eye. Geocachers don't usually do either, so we are in a way helping out with the drug problem in our own way. But in my opinion you should disable it, in case a geocacher runs into a pissed off grower

The first step after harvesting your marijuana buds is the drying possess. This can be performed by taking the branches and hanging them up side down so the fan leaves droop and cover the buds... oh, wrong forum... :anibad:

Your lawful duty fulfilled, some dude's future stash removed, your cache site now safe from stoners you can probably just carry on as normal. No reason to archive it because there used to be a pot plant there.

Though I do like Clan Riffster's idea. :laughing:

The first step after harvesting your marijuana buds is the drying possess. This can be performed by taking the branches and hanging them up side down so the fan leaves droop and cover the buds... oh, wrong forum... :anibad:

Your lawful duty fulfilled, some dude's future stash removed, your cache site now safe from stoners you can probably just carry on as normal. No reason to archive it because there used to be a pot plant there.

Though I do like Clan Riffster's idea. :laughing:

I think disabling it for a few weeks is a good idea. It could easily be part of a bigger gang growing operation. Those people aren't just your run-of-the-mill "stoners" - they are violent felons engaged in a criminal enterprise. Yeah... only 4 pots, so maybe not.

No they didn't seem to concerned. They said they would keep an eye on the area to make sure nothing more pops up.

Then I'd definitely disable the cache for a period of time, because I wouldn't want geocachers to be picked up by the same LEOs who are keeping an eye on the site and being questioned about marijuana.

Or at least add a warning to the cache page telling cachers to make sure all the seeds are shaken out of their backpacks! :anibad:

Only four plants, it could be someone growing it for medicinal use.

Doesn't have to be mafia or gangs with guns.

Mafia or gangs tend to have huge plots.

Probably just some poor soul suffering chemotherapy or pain that most drugs won't get rid of.

Disable for a while, check back and if the coast is clear, then reinstate.

If more plants have been put there, call the Riffster to help clear them out. :anibad:

I'm sure he'd be happy to help so as to not keep the police from real crimes.

Perhaps you could rename it a geostash?

Hi from N.W. Calif. In the heart of the Emerald Triangle ... this time of year is harvest season and most of us DO NOT venture into the outback for caches during harvest season. Pot Gardens are booby trapped out here. After the growers leave the area they turn their dogs loose, they become crazy hungry and tear up the sheep farms in the area. Caution out there folks

Hi from N.W. Calif. In the heart of the Emerald Triangle ... this time of year is harvest season and most of us DO NOT venture into the outback for caches during harvest season. Pot Gardens are booby trapped out here. After the growers leave the area they turn their dogs loose, they become crazy hungry and tear up the sheep farms in the area. Caution out there folks

There was a plot bust not far from here a couple of weeks ago. The best advice from the DEA and USFS was... "If you find a plot get out as quickly as possible, the same way you came in and then report it."

Regardless of the size, 4 plants or a large plot, you don't know what you are getting into.

Only four plants, it could be someone growing it for medicinal use.

Doesn't have to be mafia or gangs with guns.

Mafia or gangs tend to have huge plots.

Probably just some poor soul suffering chemotherapy or pain that most drugs won't get rid of.

Maybe, maybe not. As long as pot is illegal violent gangs will be the primary growers and distributes. If pot is made legal... then it will be farmers who are growing and corporations who distribute it.

As cool as it has been around here at night the past week I am a little surprised that these hadn't been harvested. It was 46 degrees at my house this morning and not much warmer most of the mornings this week. I think that putting a warning up on the cache page for now would be good. In a couple of weeks we will have a frost. All the plants that are out in the wild will be gone then. Over the last decade and a half I have lost touch with all of my "gardener friends" so I'm out of touch with the current crop activities.

It sounds like an individual, not a group effort, and they will be disappointed to lose their plants, pissed to think someone stole them from them, but would be relieved to find that the police got the plants rather than the gardener.

It sounds like you stuck your cache in a well hidden spot. After all, someone else thought it was secluded enough for long term illegal activities to be conducted and not be observed!

I think disabling it for a few weeks is a good idea. It could easily be part of a bigger gang growing operation. Those people aren't just your run-of-the-mill "stoners" - they are violent felons engaged in a criminal enterprise. Yeah... only 4 pots, so maybe not.

I agree. In my line of work, I've spent many years out in the woods doing environmental surveys for mineral and gas projects. I've personally come across a variety of nasty booby traps in the coal fields and have had coworkers seriously injured from them (the nastiest injury resulting from barbed wire at neck level on a long abandoned skid road). When we see those red 5 gallon buckets in the woods, that's always a sign we need to stop and look around.

While there is a chance that pot found in the woods was from a couple of stoners, there is a chance that it's just the tip of the iceberg. Whether I run into a single plant or an entire field, I always get out of the area ASAP, and don't return until it's been cleared by local law enforcement and our client can assure us that the area has been secured.

I would definitely disable the cache until the end of harvesting season and then consult either the responding LEO or the land manager to get their opinions.

I would suggest not enabling this cache until well after harvest season. Hopefully, as mentioned above, when the growers find their plants gone they will never return.

If you do reactivate this cache now you should post a prominent warning on the cache page. We have a responsibility to inform folks of dangerous situations that are not obvious to the searcher.

I would suggest not enabling this cache until well after harvest season. Hopefully, as mentioned above, when the growers find their plants gone they will never return.

If you do reactivate this cache now you should post a prominent warning on the cache page. We have a responsibility to inform folks of dangerous situations that are not obvious to the searcher.

When I disabled the cache I put a note in the logging page about the situation. I won't re-enable for atleast a month and will check the site area weekly before I re-enable it.

Thanks,

DIDS

When I disabled the cache I put a note in the logging page about the situation. I won't re-enable for atleast a month and will check the site area weekly before I re-enable it.

Thanks,

DIDS

I would be careful in the area if I was you, they may have more in the area, and suppose they came back the same time you just happened to be checking the area, Could add up to some pissed off growers.

Disable it? It better be for a long time. Why chance bringing geocacher to a place where it has a higher potential for problems? [Where's my drugs, man?]

Unless you rename the cache "Mary Jane was growing here" or disable it for 6 months- I'd say archive it. Smokey the Bear says to stay safe and not take chances.

I wouldn't have a clue what it looked like so it might be like when I place a cache and people say that there is so much PI. Umm, there was?