Geocaching with Samsung Jack

rlridgeway

Here is some more information:

My Dell Axim X51 and old cellphone both crashed within a couple weeks of each other. I decide to try a converged device and settled on the Samsung Jack which runs Windows Mobile 6.1 standard (not touch screen). I am on the ATT network but do not have the data plan.

I have a few questions particularily about how 6.1 works with GPS. The Jack has a built-in GPS and I have a separate bluettooth GPS receiver (an Oncourse Navigator BT 338) which I used with the Axim.

Is there any off-road GPS mapping software that can work on the Jack? Will the built-in GPS work with non-ATT software or is it locked to ATT's GPS software. If the built-in GPS cannot work with other software can my bluetooth receiver still be used?

I would like software that does not require the use of a data plan. I would perfer software that will use topographic maps of the US and have the ability for waypoint and track management.

Any information you all have will be appreciated. This includes corrections of assumptions I have about how all this works

I use a Samsung Jack, upgraded from blackjack 2. I can use Google maps, Cachemate, GCzII for caching, as well as I have other gps's I can use too.

Your going need to get the data plan if you really want to enjoy using the phone only for caching as your main gps. The GCzII application turns it into a iphone equals to the geocaching app by Groundspeak.

GCzII uses static maps that can be downloaded with WIFI before leaving the house, if you don't want to use the data plan. But the problem is if your forget to download a map, sattillite picture, up to date cache details, and spolier pictures you have to find a WIFI source everytime you need some missing information. The amount of gas you spend looking for WIFI source, you might as well get the data plan in the long run.

I use a Samsung Jack, upgraded from blackjack 2. I can use Google maps, Cachemate, GCzII for caching, as well as I have other gps's I can use too.

Your going need to get the data plan if you really want to enjoy using the phone only for caching as your main gps. The GCzII application turns it into a iphone equals to the geocaching app by Groundspeak.

GCzII uses static maps that can be downloaded with WIFI before leaving the house, if you don't want to use the data plan. But the problem is if your forget to download a map, sattillite picture, up to date cache details, and spolier pictures you have to find a WIFI source everytime you need some missing information. The amount of gas you spend looking for WIFI source, you might as well get the data plan in the long run.

I have used google maps on my Jack. When I installed the latest version of GCz it gives me a warning that the program I just installed may not work becuase it was designed for a previous version of Windows Mobile. When I try to run the program, it says it "Can't find GCzII (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available."

Any ideas?

Edited by BigOldJeep

I haven't tested it real good yet but it appears I have found a way to use GPS on a Jack without the need for a data plan.

You don't have to to use Google Maps, ATT Navigator or other approved mapping software. I found a free software called gps VP. The software takes a while to learn but you can use downloaded maps for off-line use.

A major issue was getting the the software to recognize the built-in GPS receiver. There are workarounds for this issue. Google will help.