Benchmarks

grufftymilo

It's a language thing.

When we (Brits) say "Benchmark" we mean a mark which denotes a measured height above mean sea level at Newlyn in Cornwall.

In the US they mean a trig point when they use the word "benchmark".

In the UK there is a virtual geocache called Ye Ole Survey Monuments where trigpoint finds can be logged as geocaches.

Hello,

I've been meaning for some time to try and sort out my own confusion about that, thanks.

What about Flush Brackets then, is there a concise definition of them? Also how do they figure as regards being able to in some way log their finding.

Regards Bernard

Flush brackets mounted in triangulation pillars can be logged here.

Other flush brackets can be logged here.

FB definitions here.

Hello,

I've been meaning for some time to try and sort out my own confusion about that, thanks.

What about Flush Brackets then, is there a concise definition of them? Also how do they figure as regards being able to in some way log their finding.

Regards Bernard

www.trigpointingUK.com

UK and Ireland Trigpoints

Types...

Edited by Bear and Ragged

The main question has been answered, but it's worth pointing out that whereas all (known) Flush Brackets are listed on bench-marks.org.uk , countless thousands of simple Cut Bench Marks are either only listed by the Ordnance Survey, or nowhere at all.

. By using Edgemasters scripts you can see cachers logged trigpoint finds on their profile,

Could you point me in the right direction please?

Sorry, I've just been looking for it and it appears it was from www.xisoft.co.uk , which doesn't seem to exist anymore

As US benchmarks are not geocaches why are they still loggable on geocaching.com?

When there were only a few geocaches (yes, there was such a time) it gave people something to hunt (before LPCs were invented). Then when there were lots of caches they couldn't remove them. Could you imagine the furore if a particular type of cache was removed, they'd have to start a new website to cover them. ;)