Trading cache items

GeoPeeps4

We are enthusiastic but still wet behind the ears with geocaching, and I wanted to know if there are any general guidelines for trading items from the caches we find. When you trade something is it intended to be kept by us? Or should items stay in circulation from one cache to the next? I know the travel bugs are meant to keep moving, but what about the various trinkets that can be traded? Thanks! :P

The basic rule for trading swag is to trade something of yours for something of equal or greater value. This is the "trade up" philosophy.

However, your not required to trade anything at all if your not inclined to do so. 50% of the time I won't take or leave anything, 40% of the time I'll leave something without taking anything... only 10% of the time I'll trade for something that I'm interested in. (usually a signature item or a pin)

One note: This does not apply to trackable items like GeoCoins and Travel bugs. Feel free to take one (or more) if you can further it's mission.

You'll find that many cachers (especially those that visit the forums) rarely trade, often leave swag to help improve the cache and on that every once in a while opportunity try to trade up/even.

When I or my wife want something we do our best to trade up or even but that is subjective. Some would say we go too far (leave way too good stuff) and some would say not good enough.

Use your better judgment there.

Bottom line is that if you want to trade for something do your best to do it right. Then if you decide to keep it, that's fine. Decide later to put it in a cache, that's fine too.

Remember - it's the journey after all....

The basic rule for trading swag is to trade something of yours for something of equal or greater value. This is the "trade up" philosophy.

Just wanted to point out that you said this backwards.... not meaning to be the language police, but we don't want someone to misunderstand this important point.

You should "trade something of yours for something of equal or lesser value."

Or... you should "trade something in the cache for something of equal or greater value."

In other words... leave the cache the same or better then it was when you found it. (Funny... that principle applies to lots of things in life!)

Edited by PastorJon