Acuracy on my Garmin 60csx

I just wanted to checkin with the experts to see how I can improve the accuracy on my Garmin 60csx. When I first bought it I lived in Missoula, Mt and I seemed to get accuracy of 15' +/-. When I moved to Temecula, Ca I changed my settings to reflect. I have it set on WGS84 and Los Angeles as my closest city. When I got out caching I have noticed the accuracy only getting anywhere from 40-55' +/-. Is this considered normal or can I do anything to improve the accuracy. I am getting 7-8 satellites (the same amount I was getting in Missoula). The only other change I made was exchanging the stock memory card for an 8GB. Thanks for any help.

I just wanted to checkin with the experts to see how I can improve the accuracy on my Garmin 60csx. When I first bought it I lived in Missoula, Mt and I seemed to get accuracy of 15' +/-. When I moved to Temecula, Ca I changed my settings to reflect. I have it set on WGS84 and Los Angeles as my closest city. When I got out caching I have noticed the accuracy only getting anywhere from 40-55' +/-. Is this considered normal or can I do anything to improve the accuracy. I am getting 7-8 satellites (the same amount I was getting in Missoula). The only other change I made was exchanging the stock memory card for an 8GB. Thanks for any help.

Have you re-cacibrated the compass? Needs to be done when batteries are changed or you change locations over 250-miles. FOr me I re-calibrate the compass each day I go out, never had an accuracy problem! Love the 60CSX>

I have a map 60CX, its accuracy was any where from 60 to 120 + - feet. I spoke to Bob at Garmin, he had me take the BATTERY SAVER option off. and had me set it to "normal". He was not sure if that was the problem but he asked another Tech and I was told the battery saver mode can slow the receiver from updating every second to at least every five seconds, I took it off Battery Saver and now it shows accuracy of + - 10 feet. and is steady and quick. Don't know if this will help you but it sure helped my unit.

How you you reset a Garmin 60CSx and select the closest city when you relocate?

I am refering to the "satellite" page at the top where you can read your co-ordinates. Off to the right side is the "Location +/- ft"

None of the changes you referenced should have any effect on accuracy. What is causing you to conclude that your accuracy is +/-40 to 55 feet?

Just a guess here, but I'd assume this is what the unit says? :anibad:

I'm going to change the setting from "battery saver" to "normal" as well as recalibrate the compass everytime I turn it on and see what that does. Thanks for the tips.

Have you re-cacibrated the compass? Needs to be done when batteries are changed or you change locations over 250-miles. FOr me I re-calibrate the compass each day I go out, never had an accuracy problem! Love the 60CSX>

Um, what does recalibrating the compass (or even HAVING an electronic compass) have to do with the displayed accuracy of the GPS? The +/- "feet" is a POSITION error/accuracy thing and NOT a heading/directional thing, such as the compass would provide. The compass has nothing to do with the positional accuracy of a GPS unit.

I have a map 60CX, its accuracy was any where from 60 to 120 + - feet. I spoke to Bob at Garmin, he had me take the BATTERY SAVER option off. and had me set it to "normal". He was not sure if that was the problem but he asked another Tech and I was told the battery saver mode can slow the receiver from updating every second to at least every five seconds, I took it off Battery Saver and now it shows accuracy of + - 10 feet. and is steady and quick. Don't know if this will help you but it sure helped my unit.

How do you set the BATTERY SAVER option to "normal"?

Which menu is it under or is it called by a different name?

How do you set the BATTERY SAVER option to "normal"?

Which menu is it under or is it called by a different name?

MENU - MENU - Setup - System:

The first item, "GPS", can be set to "Battery Saver" or "Normal" (or "GPS Off" or "Demo", which you obviously don't want).

Thanks Slugo

Um, what does recalibrating the compass (or even HAVING an electronic compass) have to do with the displayed accuracy of the GPS? The +/- "feet" is a POSITION error/accuracy thing and NOT a heading/directional thing, such as the compass would provide. The compass has nothing to do with the positional accuracy of a GPS unit.

Someone asked how you set the battery saver/Normal option. Go to main Menu then go to set-up, then go to system, the first item says GPS, you click on the arrow and get options for NORMAL, or battery saver, or GPS off or Demo, Garmin had me select Normal, I/ve used it in Florida, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah all on Normal mode and now i INDEED get 10-15 feet accuracy and two of my friends with identical units did the same thing with the same result. Can;t say this is OK to every Garmin Map 60 but it worked for three of us. I really see no difference in the battery life doing this. Can't say this is the fix but it worked for us....