Magellan explorist 210 vs. Meridian platinum

nojoplusplus

I have not used the 210. When I first started, I had the brother of the Platinum. I did not use any of the computer connectivity, because I entered my waypoints manually. (press mark waypoint, edit waypoint, change the coordinates to match the cache data). This was time consuming, but it worked. The Meridian series was the best of it's time, and still use mine occasionally. If gotten cheap enough <$50, fill it up with 4 AA's, and have fun. Also, it does accept an SD card, so you can purchase Magellan Topo maps for it, and load an area to the SD.

Have fun

I've heard the Meridians are good units. (I'd even like to have one myself because I already have the mapping software for them.) I think they are serial port to connect to the PC and have less internal memory than the Explorist 210.

I bought a used Explorist 210 last year. It had enough memory to hold a detail road/topo map about half the size of my home state, Alabama. That was plenty for me. I could also load caches (200 at a time) using EasyGPS. It is USB. Worked great, even without WAAS working. I gave it to my brother after a FW fix and as far as I know it still working.

Do note that if you choose either that WAAS can be restored. For the Explorist you can get that FW update from Magellan. For the Meridian, look in the archives for the keywords "Trainlove", "WAAS" and "Magellan" for finding ways to restore the WAAS function on that unit.

well I think after lots of research I am going to end up going with the explorist. The computer connectivity is important to me. This guy is also including the Topo software in the price.

It was a tough decision though. the meridian looks like one that could take a beating. I just don't think I want to go through the hassle of trying to figure out if I can get it to work with my laptop.

Thank you for the input. I appreciate it all.

Edited by nojoplusplus

I have been using the 210 for a few days now. I like it and it does the basics of what I need. There are obviously way better units out there but this definitely meets my needs. I may end up buying a nicer unit later on but I am new to this and want to make sure it is a hobby that I will keep doing before I drop a bunch of money on it.

I got the updated firmware and the topo software that came with it is the old software. but I don't really want to drop a whole lot of money into it and it is accurate enough for me.

This plus my garmin nuvi for paperless is turning out to be a sweet combination.