Television Themed Caches

FoxMulders

Hmm - I wonder what show. . . .

Just avoid using printed, or electronic logos, artwork or other copyrighted works. The concepts themselves as intangibles should be OK.

You won't profit from it and in fact are really promoting it (gratis) so I doubt any attorneys will be seeking you out.

Just avoid using printed, or electronic logos, artwork or other copyrighted works. The concepts themselves as intangibles should be OK.

You won't profit from it and in fact are really promoting it (gratis) so I doubt any attorneys will be seeking you out.

I agree, and thanks for the idea!

has this been done?

Fan-service is usually considered exempt from copyright under the "Fair Use" clauses of copyright law.

(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and I can't offer legal advice, etc... )

Fan-service is usually considered exempt from copyright under the "Fair Use" clauses of copyright law.

(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and I can't offer legal advice, etc... )

But I bet you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night! :P

My cache based on the TV show Stargate is one of six caches, each based on different Sci-fi show or movie. Each cache is a puzzle. I have a pix of the Stargate I took when I was on the set a few years ago. Other caches have pictures or screen caps and such that are the clues to solving the puzzle. None of us have had any problems.

I have both a children of the 80s series and a stargate themed cache located on a stargate ... because you are not profiting from the endeavor in anyway there should be very little issue ... what are they going to sue you for?

In theory they would sue you for copyright infringement. niraD's link is very good and explains this:

2) "If I don't charge for it, it's not a violation."

False. Whether you charge can affect the damages awarded in court, but that's main difference under the law. It's still a violation if you give it away -- and there can still be serious damages if you hurt the commercial value of the property.

That about sums it up from the legal standpoint.

From a more practical standpoint lawyers are expensive and fans-sites are almost always universally tolerated as long as they don't cross the line between minor copyright violation to major pirating.