Geocoinfest Multi Event 2010

avroair

So, a couple years back I organized a Geocoinfest multi event bash, since Geocoinfest was moving from February to October of the following year ~ basically events all over the world sharing a single coin (with variations), much like the 9-9-9, 8-8-8, 7-7-7, summer solstice ice cream and Kiss Me I'm Irish events. Given the recent 30 event 9-9-9 do people think it would be a good idea to do a multi event for Geocoinfest early next year ~ say February? I get requests every now and then asking whether we are doing it again.

Good idea?

Would you host one?

I'll be hosting a geocoin event in November here in Halifax the same day as WWFM VI. It will be the first one here since Islander1988 stopped hosting his regular events.

The cache page should be up soon.

As for a multi-event, I might be able to convince the family that I'm not organizing too many events and host another in February :P If not, then perhaps Islander will have finished his thesis by then and will jump back in the mix to organize it.

That's rather too close to MOGA for me to be able to organize something. And honestly I'm not sure who besides myself, seaeye & 57Chevy in the area are rabid geocoin collectors. Twould be a small gathering... :P

CF30

Actually, you would be surprised how many people show up... noobs curious about coins, people traveling to from distances... I believe 57chevy went to Chicago last time! And people just picking up a smilie. :D

There was a GCF Multievent in SoCal last time. B)

I would be up for hosting a coin event - although I don't know how many coin addicts are in my neck of the woods.

As long as it's okay if it turns out to be just be me and Marlin01 having coffee and looking at our notebooks and wondering why no one else came, then count me in. [:P]

I've got a question?? would these events be limited to a specific region or would some regions have numerous events? to be more specific would there be 4-5 events in the MidWest and none in the NorthEast if noone was willing to host one in that area, but many in the MidWest did? I'm sure if held like a WWFM event then some states alone would be willing to host 3-4 events!

I've got a question?? would these events be limited to a specific region or would some regions have numerous events? to be more specific would there be 4-5 events in the MidWest and none in the NorthEast if noone was willing to host one in that area, but many in the MidWest did? I'm sure if held like a WWFM event then some states alone would be willing to host 3-4 events!

They are where they are willing to be hosted... that being said they should probably be at least 5 hours apart from one another.

hmmmmm.....i'm not sure.....but maybe i would host one here in germany, if thats ok...

Anywhere is welcome, and I keep having German event planners disappear!

Hi Mark,

what do you mean with -keep having german planners disappear-?

I am following your topic and would greatly plan a one here, but this is in exactly our 2 weeks vacation period. Therefore I see a problem here in my area. But I wish somebody else will do. I will bring this onto our next event.

lts

hmmmmm.....i'm not sure.....but maybe i would host one here in germany, if thats ok...

Anywhere is welcome, and I keep having German event planners disappear!

Hi Mark,

what do you mean with -keep having german planners disappear-?

I am following your topic and would greatly plan a one here, but this is in exactly our 2 weeks vacation period. Therefore I see a problem here in my area. But I wish somebody else will do. I will bring this onto our next event.

lts

People from Germany show interest in hosting a multi-event then disappear... it has happened twice. ;) The event doesn't have to be the exact date I spoke of.

If this goes ahead, do you anticipate any restrictions on who can host and who can't? It seems that a few of the coin design and production companies are stepping up to the plate and nobody is whipping the rug out from under them ;) .

Could we have an informal meeting in SLC so we can do some collective brainstorming in person?

Helen

If this goes ahead, do you anticipate any restrictions on who can host and who can't? It seems that a few of the coin design and production companies are stepping up to the plate and nobody is whipping the rug out from under them ;) .

Could we have an informal meeting in SLC so we can do some collective brainstorming in person?

Helen

Yep. Sure.

With kidlet number two on the way, slotted for a Christmas appearance, I am not sure that I could committ to a February date in Ontario. I have had a blast working on the 090909 Multi-Event but would go even bigger for a geocoinfest multi for this area if I volunteered (my potential attendance is up to around 100 for the 090909 event and it's just a basic pub night...my creative juices are tingling at all the other things I could do if I had the time!!). So realistically, I would not be able to be the primary organizer for Feb 2010. HOWEVER, I would love to assist and invest in the coin and/or step up to the plate next year (like 2011).

I have no idea what state I'll be living in come February, but I'll gladly attend one! Maybe I'll drive up and crash the Seattle one if I'm in CA :laughing:

I anticipate a lot a frequent flier miles in the next few months...

I'm sure someone else will step up to the plate for Jersey :) but if they don't, I'll see where I am! The multi-events are a cool concept :grin:

I have no idea what state I'll be living in come February, but I'll gladly attend one! Maybe I'll drive up and crash the Seattle one if I'm in CA :laughing:

I anticipate a lot a frequent flier miles in the next few months...

I'm sure someone else will step up to the plate for Jersey :) but if they don't, I'll see where I am! The multi-events are a cool concept :grin:

ThirstyMick, you can come to the CA one that Gillian and I will hold. :D It'll probably be close to Santa Cruz, so I guess it depends on where in Cali you end up! But I'd love to have you visit!

I'm not trying to highjack this thread and go off topic, but I've got another question about this multi event idea.

Opinions please....

Wouldn't it be better if only a hand full of multi's happened? :laughing:

Maybe only 5-6 in the U.S.? :laughing:

Maybe regional events... NE,SE,SW, NW, MW type thing? :)

Seeing as most of the 9/9/9 events had over 100 people, and it's very difficult to find places to host 100+ people, having fewer get togethers would make them a lot larger, and at the same time, exclude people who couldn't travel out of state or what not.

SNIPPET...

.... having fewer get togethers would make them a lot larger...

Exactly my point!...

Fewer of them would make them more lucrative to attend...

In essence, it would be possible to hold several mega events simutaniously...

Vendors are more apt to attend the region they are in, giving the hosts better sponsorship...

In the long run, several years down the road, I would think this would be the best alternative to hosting a Multi Coinfest... :)