Why are we not notified for out logs being deleted anymore?

JacobBarlow

I dont mind the log being deleted, I object to not being advised that it was deleted. Probably because I told the owner that the location was just so junked up. Ive been to a lot of GZ and never in such a trash pile. Not that it was his fault. But there were so many other nearby location he could have used.

Yes. The question was now why the logs were deleted, but why cachers were not notified that the logs were deleted? I had one deleted for mentioning that the final coords were off by 128'. The notification that it was deleted allowed me to relog with "TNLNSL". This notification should be continued.

Edited by Harry Dolphin

I dont mind the log being deleted, I object to not being advised that it was deleted. Probably because I told the owner that the location was just so junked up. Ive been to a lot of GZ and never in such a trash pile. Not that it was his fault. But there were so many other nearby location he could have used.

Me, too, just happened yesterday.

It was the first really icky place I've been to in years, and I mentioned it - so I guess the cache owner must have taken offense.

But I don't know why I wasn't notified that a log was deleted. I only noticed it because a brand new cache popped up on the same page today.

Of course, I also don't know why the owner did not just send an email asking me to change my log description, but ... that's a whole 'nuther question.

I never pay attention to news from Groundspeak. Is this delete-notification a change I missed, or was it always this way ? Or just today's little bug ?

The CO had written stage #2 coordinates on a city owned dock in ballpoint pen.

That sounds like something that should get a Needs Archived log, which will get emailed to the reviewer even if the CO deletes the log.

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

* Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.

Edited by Lil Devil
I'm curious. Why do you suppose your logs are being deleted? I don't recall ever having a log of mine deleted and recall deleting only one or two Geocache logs in five years.

Not that it matters or has anything to do with the original post, but from what I understand, the container was cracked and the log was wet. The owner had disabled it until he could fix it, but the cache was still there and able to be found. The CO apparently didn't like that and deleted the log.

I have to agree here. We need to be notified when our log is deleted by the CO.

Maybe when the CO deletes the log have a space for them to enter a note that is sent along with the notification of delete. And, require that the note be filled in.

Edited by W8TTS

I have to agree here. We need to be notified when our log is deleted by the CO.

Maybe when the CO deletes the log have a space for them to enter a note that is sent along with the notification of delete. And, require that the note be filled in.

I found a cache today that I had previously visited multiple times. I am almost certain that I had logged DNFs on my failed attempts. When I logged my find today, I checked the cache page and the cache has no DNFs at all. I was puzzled. The only thing I can figure is that my DNFs were deleted. Why would a CO delete a DNF log? Previously I had spent quite awhile looking but their coords were bad and I came up empty handed. I was surprised to find that a log deletion did not prompt any kind of notification. Now I wonder how many other logs are deleted :anibad:

Bumping this to keep it current. I, too, think this is a glaring defect and hope it's a bug and not a planned change. Seems like if it was on purpose, it would have been listed in one of the updates, yes?

Fortunately with GSAK and "My Finds" Pocket Query it is a simple matter to fix

Since logging online (or "sharing" as TPTB like to call it) is one of the basic steps of the geocaching experience (according to the Getting Started page) we should not have to use external programs like GSAK and run pocket queries to solve this problem.

Edited by succotash

How does that let you find out about deleted DNF logs?

It doesn't for DNFs

Bumping this to keep it current. I, too, think this is a glaring defect and hope it's a bug and not a planned change. Seems like if it was on purpose, it would have been listed in one of the updates, yes?

Since logging online (or "sharing" as TPTB like to call it) is one of the basic steps of the geocaching experience (according to the Getting Started page) we should not have to use external programs like GSAK and run pocket queries to solve this problem.

I am not saying that is an acceptable way around the problem, but until the issue gets fixed there is a way to find out if someone deleted a valid log.

Edited by FunnyNose

Can you explain? I have GSAK and I use "my finds" PQ's, how does this let me know if a find log has been deleted?

Can you explain? I have GSAK and I use "my finds" PQ's, how does this let me know if a find log has been deleted?

If you have a database of your found caches, containing XYZ number of caches, and after you update it with your 'My Finds' PQ you find it now contains LESS than XYX, then one or more of your finds have been deleted.

I won't bother explaining the extra rigamarole needed to figure out WHICH cache(s) have the deleted logs, but suffice it to say this should not be needed if the website is working properly

I guess I can now go on a delete spree and remove all the logs of those cachers I really don't care for. They'll never know! :blink:

If you have a database of your found caches, containing XYZ number of caches, and after you update it with your 'My Finds' PQ you find it now contains LESS than XYX, then one or more of your finds have been deleted.

Unfortunately, that won't work if the log is deleted in the 7 day "interim" stage between when the My Finds PQ can't be downloaded.

Example: You download your My Finds on Sunday after logging all your weekend caches. On Monday you make a mid-week run for 5 caches. You log them all, but the owner deletes them and you don't know it.

Then, on the following Saturday and Sunday you find a bunch of caches. That Sunday evening you download My Finds again. The deleted caches won't show up in that PQ because they're no longer marked was found, and they won't show up in the one from the previous Sunday because you found them after that. When you add in all the new caches from Saturday and Sunday (especially if you didn't really keep track of how many you found ), you may not notice that the count is wrong.

I won't bother explaining the extra rigamarole needed to figure out WHICH cache(s) have the deleted logs, but suffice it to say this should not be needed if the website is working properly

I guess I can now go on a delete spree and remove all the logs of those cachers I really don't care for. They'll never know! :blink:

Actually, you should be able to sort by last GPX date and any cache with an old date had the find deleted. I don't think GSAK will remove it from the DB unless you've fiddled with the load options to do that.

Yes. The question was now why the logs were deleted, but why cachers were not notified that the logs were deleted? I had one deleted for mentioning that the final coords were off by 128'. The notification that it was deleted allowed me to relog with "TNLNSL". This notification should be continued.

Agreed. It's a handy tool so that you even know you have a problem to fix.

I am one of the 200 that miss this feature. I am curious why the TPTB have not had any input to this thread.

It worries me that the TPTB remain silent. It also feels a little disrespectful to not at least acknowledge that they have read this thread. If the TPTB haven't read the thread, then I'm even more worried about the management of the geocaching.com site.

So my GSAK database of finds is always kept current.

I notice my find count has gone down.

I load my new "My Finds" query into my database after I click on "set user flag"

The entry without the check is the one where the log has been deleted.

I got to use this recently when a cache owner decided to retroactively apply an ALR to their cache.

I am one of the 200 that miss this feature. I am curious why the TPTB have not had any input to this thread.

It worries me that the TPTB remain silent. It also feels a little disrespectful to not at least acknowledge that they have read this thread. If the TPTB haven't read the thread, then I'm even more worried about the management of the geocaching.com site.

Oh, I have no doubt that TPTB know all about this issue. Mainly because I fired an e-mail to them last night about this very thing.

Now, as to why they aren't posting an answer in this forum, I can't begin to guess. Maybe they all went to the Puyallup Fair.

Oh, I have no doubt that TPTB know all about this issue. Mainly because I fired an e-mail to them last night about this very thing.

Now, as to why they aren't posting an answer in this forum, I can't begin to guess. Maybe they all went to the Puyallup Fair.

Did you get a response? My big concern is they implemented this change intentionally.

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. I did not mean to keep you waiting.

We're aware of this issue and consider it a bug. I'm not sure when or why this change was implemented but we have been making a lot of changes to the way we handle emails recently. I will make sure this is hotfixed if possible, or included in the next release.