Public Transport Caches

loobcom

Here in the US, definately not. It's specifically mentioned in the guidelines.

From the guidelines: Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In the United States we generally use a distance of 150 ft (46 m) but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply."

Since you mentioned "public transport", I think the following guideline probably applies as well:

"Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports."

All the guidelines are here: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#offlimit

Here in the US, definately not. It's specifically mentioned in the guidelines.

From the guidelines: Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In the United States we generally use a distance of 150 ft (46 m) but your local area's trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply."

Since you mentioned "public transport", I think the following guideline probably applies as well:

"Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports."

All the guidelines are here: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#offlimit

In the case of public transport, I don't believe the railroad guidelines would apply. According to Keystone (I believe it was), the railroad guidelines come from trespassing laws, and obviously, nobody at a rail station is trespassing.

However, I'm sure that the "potential targets" guideline would apply.

Here in Minnesota, we have a series of caches hidden near the stops along the Light Rail system, but they are not on the railway property itself.

Edited by knowschad
Our reviewer does not allow caches within 150 feet of active rail lines. Doesn't matter if it's railroad property or not. I had to convert one into a multi with stage 1 being an "Info to obtain" waypoint so that the final was at least 150 feet from the rails. And it was not railroad property.

150' is what is stated in the guidelines:

Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In the United States we generally use a distance of 150 ft (46 m) but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

My point was that this particular guideline was based on the trespassing laws, and not other concerns. A minor point in this discussion, I'll admit.

You know... If you have to seriously question the impact the cache is going to make, then maybe you should not place it at that location. Pick another spot.

But on that topic I did have this to say:

I live in Aurora, Colorado, and we have a large RTD system. (Regional Transport District, or Rough, Tough, and Dirty.) All of the stops are located on street sides with the classic, green bus-stop benches. But wha I noticed as that all these benches are made out of metal. My sister was talking about how it would be cool to put magnetic micros that were painted green along the bus stops. It would be a large series cache with a large cache at the end. I've been looking at RTD rules, and regulations, but I don't seeanything regarding the matter. I suppose it could be done.

But, they could easily become muggled. (Have you ever waited for the buses? It get's boring, people tend to look around.) And, would a reviewer even consider the idea?

So I suppose I answered your question with another question/suggestion.