Recaching a geocoin

jpamusher

:D I am going to be hiking in the Grand Canyon in a few weeks and was thinking of hiding a geocoin that I recently retrieved along a trail in the Canyon. I know that geocaches are not permitted in National Parks but this wouldn`t really be like placing a cache there and it would be gone once another cacher hiked by and retrieved it. Would this be acceptable or should geocoins only be placed in other caches?
:D I am going to be hiking in the Grand Canyon in a few weeks and was thinking of hiding a geocoin that I recently retrieved along a trail in the Canyon. I know that geocaches are not permitted in National Parks but this wouldn`t really be like placing a cache there and it would be gone once another cacher hiked by and retrieved it. Would this be acceptable or should geocoins only be placed in other caches?

Geocoins have to be dropped in to a cache. They are never just "hidden" as you would hide a cache.

Geocaches are allowed in the National Parks, but only at the discretion of the park superintendant. I don't know which, if any of the National Parks, allow them.

If you already know you can't leave a cache there, why would you think it would be acceptable to leave a geocoin? Only leave geocoins or TB's in caches that are already approved and listed. Aside from the fact that hiding something like this would further raise the ire of the NPS, you are virtually guaranteeing that it will come up missing because: a critter gets it and moves it, weather moves it through floods, winds, or even fire, or some muggle stumbles across it and takes it.

Are you allowed to leave items in the Grand Canyon?

I guess that I will just place it another cache out west then. Even if I did leave it under some rocks along the Tonto trail,I don`t know how I would log that it was there waiting to be found. :D

Well, I suppose that you *could* post a note on the coin's page, giving the coordinates, but that would be wrong on many levels. Nobody looks at coin pages to see where they are... they look at cache pages and see that there are coins in them.

Nearly five million people visit The Grand Canyon every year. if each one left something in it even as small as a geocoin I wonder how long it would take to fill it up. :D perhaps that's why the USFS has rules addressing such activities. rember this topic? "Forest Service taking caches"

Edited by brokenoaks

Nearly five million people visit The Grand Canyon every year. if each one left something in it even as small as a geocoin I wonder how long it would take to fill it up. :D perhaps that's why the USFS has rules addressing such activities. rember this topic? "Forest Service taking caches"

Had to figure this one out...

Assuming that each geocoin left is a standard size (.10 thick x 2" wide x 2" wide, not correcting for it being a circle for simplicity), 5 million geocoins left in one year would equal out to 166,666.67 cubic feet of material left. That is a square 31.56 miles high, wide, and deep. Yeah, bad idea...

Assuming that each geocoin left is a standard size (.10 thick x 2" wide x 2" wide, not correcting for it being a circle for simplicity), 5 million geocoins left in one year would equal out to 166,666.67 cubic feet of material left. That is a square 31.56 miles high, wide, and deep. Yeah, bad idea...

Wow! My swag bag isn't even that big! B)

OK, I got different results:

One geocoin is 0.1" x 2" x 2". That's 0.000231 cubic feet.

Five million geocoins is 1,157 cubic feet. (That's a cube 10.5 feet on each side.)

One cubic mile is 147,197,952,000 cubic feet.

Therefore, five million geocoins is 0.00000079% of one cubic mile.

Nearly five million people visit The Grand Canyon every year. if each one left something in it even as small as a geocoin I wonder how long it would take to fill it up. B) perhaps that's why the USFS has rules addressing such activities. rember this topic? "Forest Service taking caches"

Could someone please pm me a list of coins being used to fill the Grand Canyon, so I know if I should be planninga trip there in the near future? :D

Unacceptable. You can only track a geocoin from cache to cache. The logistics of getting word to the one person who might hike that trail to grab the coin within a reasonable period of time are too far fetched. If it is not your geocoin, the owner might get upset. But nothing says you can't take photos of this coin at that location and upload them to the geocoin page, with coordinates to the location in your log, but don't leave it there, where there is no cache.

<edit to fix a sentence>

Edited by Eartha