Ten questions about your collection

ECplus3

I was looking at my collection and wondering why I was attracted to certain coins over others. So I started thinking about what may influence other people's choices.

So I thought I'd ask.

1. What is your favourite finish?

2. What is your favourite 2-tone finish?

3. Do you like to see multiple finishes offered for a coin? Do you buy them all, or just your favourite(s)?

4. Do you prefer round coins or shaped coins?

5. Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable?

6. Do you prefer personal coins, caching-related coins, or 'art' coins?

7. Do you collect around a theme (what theme), or collect whatever catches your eye?

8. Do you have a coin budget? Do you ever go over this budget?

9. Are you more likely to buy a coin, or trade for a coin?

10. Do you have any 'absolutely never trade' coins in your collection, or are they all fair game for a trade?

I'll go first

Antique bronze

Gold on Antique copper

3. Do you like to see multiple finishes offered for a coin? Do you buy them all, or just your favourite(s)?

I do like to see options. I generally buy just one or two, unless the coin falls into the main theme of my collection. Then I have to get 'em all! :D

No preference

Trackable

I like them all!

7. Do you collect around a theme (what theme), or collect whatever catches your eye?

I do collect around a theme: Dutch coins. But I will from time to time buy or trade for something that really catches my eye.

I used to have a coin budget, but since I never stuck to it, I don't see the point. B)

I will always try to trade for a coin if possible.

10. Do you have any 'absolutely never trade' coins in your collection, or are they all fair game for a trade?

Anything in my Dutch collection and any personal coins that were given to me by the maker are off limits. The rest is fair game.

Edited by E&Cplus3

It really depends on the coin. For coins with lots of multi-level detail, I prefer antique finishes. I prefer antique and sandblasted finishes for 3D coins, too, as it brings out the detail more. Perhaps it's because my eyes are going bad.

For anything else, it depends on the subject matter. Some coins lend themselves to certain finishes, or even suggest certain finishes. For example: I expressly designed my "Year of the Ox" coin with shiny gold and bright red transparent enamel because of its Chinese "lucky" theme. It looks good in the other finishes, but I really like the gold and red.

Silver and black nickel or gold and black nickel. You don't see S/BN much because of the high error rate. Less those two, I really like gold and silver finishes with black backgrounds.

I don't mind multiple finishes. How many I buy, however, depends on my spendable cash at that particular time. I tend to prioritize the finishes I like and work down the list, buying as many as I can.

I'm going to sound wishy-washy again: it depends on the subject matter. I'm not as fond of the organic-shaped coins, preferring symmetrically-shaped coins; something about coins makes me want to see them symmetrical in some way. On the other hand, some coins just scream to be shaped (e.g., carousel coins).

Trackable, at this point, but I absolutely adore and cherish both of the mystery coins that I have received. I don't have much of an opportunity to see the non-trackables here, of course, because Groundspeak won't allow links to sales. I haven't come across a non-trackable that I desperately had to have, either (except for the Tiki Stackers!) so I'd say my preference is for the trackable coins.

Yes. ; )

Seriously, though: I'm interested in coins that I think are interesting. My own tastes run towards patterns and the occasional comic-book or cartoon-y theme. Anything having to do with navigation, especially navigation equipment-type coins, are an absolute must.

No particular theme. I am, however, on the lookout for what I call "unusual" coins. I like coins that are of odd materials (ceramic, glass, coal, etc) or have interesting features (spinners, are stamps, are functional tools, etc).

Edited to add: okay, I do see a theme. If it is a functional navigational tool, I have to have it.

I should have a budget, but I don't.

Buy, definitely.

Oh yes. I have a bag with the extras I'll be willing to trade. Everything else is off-limits unless I see some offer that is really attractive. Even then, I'll vacillate about the trade for a while. Every coin in my collection is My Precious. ; )

Edited by Jackalgirl

COPPER

COPPER ON BLACK NICKEL

SOME NOT ALL FAVORITES

SHAPIES

BOTH

PERSONALS and AE

BOTH

ABSOLUTLY ABSOLUTLY

PURCAHASE

OF COURSE .....

.... LORIDARLIN , CROWSFEAT'S FIRST , YHAAL FEATHER, SHADOWSFRIEND, GEOBANDIT , MOGA just to name a few

Opalsns

copper

antic bronze, shiney silver

yes, I like several finishes. I might buy them all and keep my favourite, or I just get my favourite

shaped, but I also like round coins, with parts of the design "sticking out".

Doesn't matter, easier to trade are the trackables, but I like the non trackables just as much.

I like nature, geography or maritime themed coins. Animals, Plants and Regions, so to speak.

I have my preferances as stated in 6., but I buy whatever I fancy.

Not really, so I can't get over it. It evens out, there are month with no purchases and others with lots.

Mostly I buy them, cause I don't have so many fancy coins for trade.

A small part of my collection is activated, those are not for trade.

My collection is not for trade either, but sometimes a coin, which I liked 2 years ago, feels not that special anymore. So that might get traded. Can't say, that it happened yet, though...

1. What is your favorite finish?

Generally antique copper but I've also become a fan of antique nickel. Which makes it totally amazing that my own coin (Hounds & Ravens) is in neither... :huh:

2. What is your favorite 2-tone finish?

Black Nickel and ______ . Fill in the blank. They all look good.

3. Do you like to see multiple finishes offered for a coin? Do you buy them all, or just your favorite(s)?

Yes and only the ones I like.

Yes! B)

Depends on the coin.

Personal, geocaching related, artsy coins. :D

What theme?.?.? Umm, I mean, no... :D

:DBudget??? :blink:

I buy most coins because nobody has/wants to trade the ones I want to trade for... B)

For the right coin I can be persuaded to trade certain of my Keepers. But not all. some are "untouchable".

CF30

It depends on the type of coin. Some coins just scream for shiny metal (my scanner hates it...) and others look better with antique or sanded finishes. I have a soft spot for bronze.

Hard to say...

Yes, offering multiples finishes allows people to pick the one they like best and so do I. I rarely buy a whole set.

I like shaped coins, but round ones can also be wonderful (who said Tengwar?)

Trackables tend to be found more easily around, so I guess I'll go with this.

Anything, as long as the coin matches my tastes!

Yup, obviously I collect everything viking-related. Outside this rule, I buy the coins I find really beautiful. Or cute!

Budget? What's this? (oh yes I should)

Sadly for my wallet, I'm a buyer...

Everything that falls into the viking category is not intended to leave home. And everything that caought my eye that bad that I had to buy it, neither. Oh, that leaves almost nothing. I guess that's why trading's not so much for me :D

well, i wasn't originally a fan, but i'm becoming quite fond of the copper finishes as of late. i also find the satin finishes very clean and fresh.

shiny nickel and gold in metal, and shiny gold and red translucent in colors.

more than one choice is nice, but some version have become ridonkulously numerous, too difficult to keep track of, and extremly difficult to collect them all. i don't care for a million versions.

both, although in my opinion, a nice shaped coin requires more imagination to design. however, i must add that i feel a "coin" should remain a relatively flat item with two sides. if it becomes 3 dimensional and bulky and has working parts, its not appealing to me (not as a coin anyway).

always trackable. in my opinion, what makes a geocoin a GEOcoin is its trackability. otherwise its a nice memento, collectible, or keepsake, but NOT a geocoin for me.

no preference here. if it appeals to me, i will collect it!

my theme seems to be geocoins with intricate detail work. as geocoins have evolved, i've come to realize just how fine the detail work can become and i love that minters and metal dies can be so precise with something so small. i love that!

a budget?! whats a budget?!

often i need to restrain myself from rushing out and buying a geocoin. with a little patience, often i may be able to trade for a geocoin, or adopt, or find a sale price.

my own designs (first activated) are NEVER TRADE, ALWAYS WITH ME, items. everything else, unless it has sentimental value, can be traded or sold. i am currently building my 2nd collection, after i sold off my 1st collection on a whim, and now i am regretting it...lol...i'm finding it impossible to acquire many of the items from my original collection. i do build quite a personal attachment to all geocoins i've held in my hand.

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

I was looking at my collection and wondering why I was attracted to certain coins over others. So I started thinking about what may influence other people's choices.

So I thought I'd ask.

Depend on the kind of coin, but always the antique finishes.

Antique Silver with Antique Gold, as on the 2-tone Willem van Oranje Geocoin.

In the past I bought them all, now I am more selective (as you can see in my 'downsizing my collection' topic.

Round.

Trackable, although the Tiki-stackers and the Crop circle geocoin are very beautiful too.

That does not really matter to me. It all depens on the look and feel of the geocoin.

I did collect everything I could lay my hands on. Now I am very much more selective. I have a preference for historical, nautical and dutch geocoins.

I do not have a coin budget and I allways do go over this budget!

I have buyed and traded a lot.

I do have 'absolutely never trade' geocoins in my collection. For example my own Willem van Orange XLE in Antique Silver and Antique Gold, or the Birka series, of the Dutch Geocoin 2008 LE version. But never say never...

Edited by Team Van Stoffelen

Depends on the design of the coin. But I tend to buy more golds and bronzes.

Any two that contrast nicely together. But again that depends on the design as some designs lend themselves well to less contrast.

If I see 6 or more finishes I get turned off. I don't need an entire binder page dedicated to ONE coin design.

Shaped coins are more interesting to the eye but there are round coins whose design has significance that overrides shapeliness. So here again it depends on the design.

I tend to prefer trackable if the icon is well designed and reflects well the coin's design. I'll pass on coins with bad icons (icon-ho here). Personals don't have to be trackable.

Yes to personals and caching related coins. Art coins have a place too but to repeat that ole refrain .... "it depends on the design" as many try to capitalize on the popularity of the art piece but miss the mark as a geocoin. If I can't have the real Mona Lisa on my wall I sure as heck ain't going to put her in my coin collection.

Whatever catches my eye though I way more selective than I used to be. If it doesn't catch my eye I won't buy it but I may accept it in trade to get rid of traders that have been sitting too long.

No budget. I needed to have one in the early days when I had to have every coin that caught my eye and every coin did catch my eye!

More likely to buy though the last year has changed that to a degree.

I keep my keepers but have on occasion made one available to trade for a keeper I wanted more. I think I've only done that ONCE.

I do have 'absolutely never trade' geocoins in my collection. For example my own Willem van Orange XLE in Antique Silver and Antique Gold, or the Birka series, or the Dutch Geocoin 2008 LE version. But never say never...

Hmmmm... :D

Antique Silver, in general. But sometimes other metals work better with different designs

I don't have too many 2-tone coins to really have a preference

I like the multiple finishes b/c I'll pick which one I like best. Of course sometimes I get myself in trouble by buying more than one b/c I can't make up my mind. I tell myself that when I see them in person I'll decide which one to put on my trade list, but then I end up falling in love with both (or all) of them B) Especially when different colors AND metals are used. If it's just different metal, I'll usually make up my mind.

Round, but I do like shaped coins that are done well

Doesn't matter. I ordered my personal coins as non-trackable b/c I didn't want to sell them, they're trade or cache only so I expect them to be kept instead of released as travelers (also being non-trackable made them cheaper).

Beautiful, personal, caching related coins B)

Whatever catches my eye

:D

I was more likely to buy, but I've been doing a lot of trading the past few days! :D and plan on doing more (now that I have my own personal trade only coin) :D

I have a bunch of special coins that were gifts, or were earned somehow in challenges. Coins with nice memories associated that I wouldn't trade for anything. Also, all the various sig items I have, especially the handmade ones :blink: But this question does make me think I should go through my "keeper" boxes and see if there are any I want to add to my trader list, having had a couple of years to enjoy them.

black nickel

new favorite is the gold on silver...love the back of the Irish Hunter geocoin

Usually just favorite,,a couple that I really wanted multiple finishes in were the Mirpets, and the lobsters

Got favorites in both

I think I've suprised some people when I asked to trade trackable coins for non-trackable...a coin with a great story gets my attention

personal coins come first

Dog coins are my favorites (still would like to see a picture of the schnauzer seekers geoocoin,) followed by (in no particular order,) fish, dragons, wizards.

Try to behave myself, but tend to wave goodbye to a budget stressful times and holidays (or are those the same thing?)

Like to trade...don't get to interact with other collectors making a purchase.

My activated coins and non-trackables wont be going anywhere for a while...j-lad gets them when I kick the bucket...my traders are just that..traders

ILYK

1. What is your favourite finish? ANTIQUE COPPER

2. What is your favourite 2-tone finish? Shiny Silver with copper but I also like my new two tone BN and Silver

3. Do you like to see multiple finishes offered for a coin? Do you buy them all, or just your favourite(s)? No, just my faves

4. Do you prefer round coins or shaped coins? I like both

5. Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable? Depends, if a personal coin is non trackable and the person means a lot to me then I'll go non trackable. Or if the coin is vhtf.

6. Do you prefer personal coins, caching-related coins, or 'art' coins? All, lean towards cartooney type like LoriDarlin' s personal and mine. Funny coins (Save the Ammocans) but also like trilobites,etc. They have to mean something though.

7. Do you collect around a theme (what theme), or collect whatever catches your eye? Whatever has meaning

8. Do you have a coin budget? Do you ever go over this budget? Maybe? Whenever my husband yells stop...Always

9. Are you more likely to buy a coin, or trade for a coin? If I can trade for one I'll do it. Two is better from Oz

10. Do you have any 'absolutely never trade' coins in your collection, or are they all fair game for a trade? Yes I have quite a few I would never get rid of, like I said..the ones that have meaning or given to me by friends.

So I thought I'd ask.

Antique Silver. Absolute favourite are encraved designs.

Antique Silver with Copper, but it depends on the design and what looks nicest to me.

Yes, so Ican pick the one I like, but I only want one finish for the collection.

Mostly round coins

Both

All

Yes; the theme has to be related in some way to my dearest friend for 23 years: Reintje de Vos.

He was a Dutch Geocacher and webdeveloper for the Dutch geocaching site (2002 - 2006).

He died of cancer in december 2006.

His friends made a special geocoin for him; The Reintje de Vos memorial coin.

After this geocoin came, geocachers I didn't even know started to send me coins.

A lot of these coins I put in Reintjes caches to find.

Also the family decided to make an album to collect geocoins that remind them of Reintje de Vos. This is a joint efford.

Yes, a small one. No

Trading is much more fun.

Yes, about one third of the collection is not for trade and I don't trade personal presents.

I'm new so I can't say I have a favorite finish as of this time. If mean such as shiney or not shiney (how's that for newbie terminology at it's most basic level?, lol) I definitely feel more pull towards the shiney metals.

Oh boy, I think I actually understand the general concept on this question, but I just haven't had enough time yet to develop a personal preference yet.

Generally I just buy the finish I find attractive although on some coins I want them all. Hmm, that may be a warning of a coming problem that could turn into geocoin collecting as an addiction.

If the shape is an itegral part of the geocoin then I like shaped coins. If it's shaped just because it was a random decision then I'd prefer round coins.

Either is perfectly fine with me. The only problem is non-trackables can't be advertised in this forum so I never get to even see them. Oh well, I guess that probably helps me save some money if I don't know what else is out there.

I'm difinitely into coins that strike me as being artistic for my tastes. If the coin happens to be designed by one of the folks on here that I look up to and respect then it takes on a much deeper meaning for me.

No doubt about it I go with whatever catches my eye at any given moment.

No, I never plan on buying coins so I don't budget for them. That being said though I do find I spend a big chunk of my monthly disposable income on geocoins.

Definitely more into buying than trading. I really love chatting with people one on one, but I am real shy around those I don't know so I just buy and that way I avoid the stress of meeting new people and feeling I must pretend to fit in. I know that generally you folks are really nice and my avoidance of interaction is not a reflection of this online community, but is just my own personal phobia.

Absolutely, there is one coin that was gifted to me by a very talented young lady here on the geocoin forum and then there are coins from my favorite designer that are not going to leave my collection Other than those and my Man vs Cache LE I might be tempted to part with any of them although I suspect it would take something special to get me motivated to part with what I have in my collection.

1. What is your favorite finish? It really depends on the coin when I started collecting i didn't like the antique finishes when I had my coin minted I wasn't going to get antique samples, turns out the Antiques worked better for my coin...

2. What is your favorite 2-tone finish? It's a cop out I know but it depends on the coin design

3. Do you like to see multiple finishes offered for a coin? Do you buy them all, or just your favorite(s)? I like to see multiple finishes and will choose my favorites.

4. Do you prefer round coins or shaped coins? Depends on the coin again though I've been getting more of the shaped coins lately.

5. Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable? I prefer Trackable but I do have a couple non trackables that I really cherish non trackable have to be pretty special

6. Do you prefer personal coins, caching-related coins, or 'art' coins? I prefer Personals and caching related

7. Do you collect around a theme (what theme), or collect whatever catches your eye? I look for unique coins don't really have a theme

8. Do you have a coin budget? Do you ever go over this budget? My coin buying has been limited lately I have gone over it in the past

9. Are you more likely to buy a coin, or trade for a coin? I will do both, more likley to buy but prefer to trade trade my personal coin

10. Do you have any 'absolutely never trade' coins in your collection, or are they all fair game for a trade? I have a couple that I will never trade any gifted or mystery cions

1. What is your favourite finish? antique silver

2. What is your favourite 2-tone finish? silver on antiqued copper

3. Do you like to see multiple finishes offered for a coin? yes

Do you buy them all, or just your favourite(s)? yes, and keep just my favorite

4. Do you prefer round coins or shaped coins? shaped

5. Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable? non-trackable

6. Do you prefer personal coins, caching-related coins, or 'art' coins? personals

7. Do you collect around a theme (what theme), or collect whatever catches your eye? cute

8. Do you have a coin budget? Do you ever go over this budget? yes, whatever happens to be in my paypal, nope never been over budget

9. Are you more likely to buy a coin, or trade for a coin? trade

10. Do you have any 'absolutely never trade' coins in your collection, or are they all fair game for a trade? never say never, but generally my collection of 800 coins is off limits, I don't collect art or commerical coins so they are always sellable or tradeable

1. What is your favourite finish? antique nickel

2. What is your favourite 2-tone finish? black nickel/gold

3. Do you like to see multiple finishes offered for a coin? yes, I like variety and a choice

Do you buy them all, or just your favourite(s)? Just my favorite unless I really love the design

5. Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable? non-trackable

6. Do you prefer personal coins, caching-related coins, or 'art' coins? personals

7. Do you collect around a theme (what theme), or collect whatever catches your eye? Nope, just what catches my eyes

8. Do you have a coin budget? Do you ever go over this budget? No, I have a coin stash, when it runs out so do my trading activities

9. Are you more likely to buy a coin, or trade for a coin? trade is easier but buy if I have to

10. Do you have any 'absolutely never trade' coins in your collection, or are they all fair game for a trade? I try to resepct others wishes as long as I know them, there are some coins I would never part with unless I was desperate, even when I eventually get tired of geocoins, there will always be some I keep because they mean something through established friendships or meaning.

Copper

Black nickel and silver

I don't mind a couple of different finishes. I only buy my faves.

Depends on the coin

Non

Personal or event (for events that we attend)

If it is a dragon, we have to have it. Anything else is an impulse buy.

Not really...just spend what I can afford at the time.

Either...depends on the coin, and what I have to offer.

Our mystery coins and some special gifted coins. There are some that hold special meaning for us that we could never part with (like out AGT coins).

Black Nickel

No favorite here. The two-tone coins just don't speak to me!

Multiple finishes are fun, but there is some critical mass that when exceeded the multiple finishes just become too confusing to keep track of. I try to buy most or all finishes. I keep my favorites, and trade the others.

No preference here - the content of the coin is what makes me seek to acquire.

No preference - me likey pretty coins.

No preference...see number 5.

Broadly, I like nature-themed coins. I study birds, so coins that feature birds also appeal.

Still working on this! However, I have gotten more "choosey" since I first began collecting.

I REALLY enjoy trading. I prefer to buy from coin vendors or coin creators. Ebay is a last resort...

Yes, there are some that are "absolutely never trade." There are others that I REALLY like, but might be enticed into trading for the right coin.

What is your favourite finish? Copper

Yuck! :P

I find very few copper coins look good ~ and they all tend to be antiqued! B)

I disagree! Clan Doyle's lucky penny is absolutely spectacular. I like to think that the copper/green version of my Year of the Ox coin wasn't all that bad. And I just got one of your Four Musketeer micros in copper and it's lovely. It really depends on the coin, its coloration, its theme, and its detail, don't you think?

(I'm personally not fond of coins with lots of intricate design that are done in shiny finishes of any kind, as mentioned before -- it doesn't matter whether it's copper or something else; if I can't see it, I'm unhappy!)

1. What is your favourite finish? I love the shinies - gold, silver and copper, but it really does depend on the coin - some metals just suit different coins.

2. What is your favourite 2-tone finish? Gold and silver usually.

3. Do you like to see multiple finishes offered for a coin? Do you buy them all, or just your favourite(s)?I like to see multiple finishes, because some that appeal to others would not appeal to me and vice versa. And it's not the finish I go for, it's the coin. I will try to get every finish for a coin I love. Then kick myself later :D

4. Do you prefer round coins or shaped coins? Again it depends on the artwork. I usually go for round, but my first coin, was shaped. Round fits into display folders well!

5. Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable? I prefer trackable, but they both have merit

6. Do you prefer personal coins, caching-related coins, or 'art' coins? All of them!!

7. Do you collect around a theme (what theme), or collect whatever catches your eye? I love animal themed coins, but I wont buy a coin just because it has an animal on it - it's got to appeal for other reasons as well.

8. Do you have a coin budget? Do you ever go over this budget? I never used to have a coin budget. I had a coin supervisor who would start to raise his eyebrows when I got a bit silly. But now I am making a lot less money I am buying and trading a lot less coins B)

9. Are you more likely to buy a coin, or trade for a coin? If I see a coin I want, I will go the easiest route. I prefer to trade if possible though.

10. Do you have any 'absolutely never trade' coins in your collection, or are they all fair game for a trade? I have a LOT of absolutely never trade coins. Such as my Gold 2007 Earth Turtle, Carousel Horses, most of my Mystery Coins, certain personals and other artistic coins I just love. Actually every single time I get rid of a coin (trade or sale) I immediately want it back. Sigh. :P

Edited by Cheesy pigs
What is your favourite finish? Copper

Yuck! B)

I find very few copper coins look good ~ and they all tend to be antiqued! ;)

I disagree! Clan Doyle's lucky penny is absolutely spectacular. I like to think that the copper/green version of my Year of the Ox coin wasn't all that bad. And I just got one of your Four Musketeer micros in copper and it's lovely. It really depends on the coin, its coloration, its theme, and its detail, don't you think?

(I'm personally not fond of coins with lots of intricate design that are done in shiny finishes of any kind, as mentioned before -- it doesn't matter whether it's copper or something else; if I can't see it, I'm unhappy!)

And that shiny copper boomerang is just wonderful! :D:P

Depends on the coin. Whatever I feel best suits the design however I do lean towards polished gold and bronze.

Not fussed as long as the effect adds distinction rather than bluriness. I like polished metal coupled with matt metal as this tends to achieve this.

Yes. I then choose my favourite or favourites. Won't collect a set unless I really like all the finishes.

Generally round but will make exceptions. Depends on the coin.

No preference.

I only buy coins that I consider to have good artistic merit. That includes a number of personal and caching-related coins.

Whatever catches my eye.

Yes. Sometimes.

About a 75/25 split though I prefer opening a package received via a trade.

About 95% are 'never trade'.

Antique Silver, Antique Bronze and some Polished Gold geocoins.

I really DON'T like Copper (sorry for the copper-lover)

Antique Silver and Gold

Multiple finish is fine but I don't like re-mints.

I do buy most of the finishes but I only keep the ones I really like.

In my opinion, a coin IS round...

Doesn't matter. I like nice looking coins.

Doesn't matter either but I usually like "art" coins.

They usually have more details than personal coins.

I used to collect every coins I liked but now I keep my permanent collection under 200 coins.

So, I now try to complete some series I started a while ago (Tranquility, Compar Rose, Tiki, ...).

I have a Paypal account...

Mostly buy and sometimes trade for older coins.

When I started collecting all my coins were "absolutely never trade".

I now learned to never say never.

But I won't get rid of my Tranquility, Compass Rose, Tiki coins and few others.

Everything else might be traded for the right coin.

1. What is your favourite finish? depends on the coin

2. What is your favourite 2-tone finish? again, depends on the coin

Do you buy them all, or just your favourite(s)? yes, I keep my favorite(s) then place the others on my traders list

4. Do you prefer round coins or shaped coins? depends on the coin

5. Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable? doesn't matter, I only activate travelers anymore

6. Do you prefer personal coins, caching-related coins, or 'art' coins? personals from cachers I have actually met

7. Do you collect around a theme (what theme), or collect whatever catches your eye? I guess the only coins I am not a fan of is regional coins ( I don't care to have a different coin from all 50 states )

8. Do you have a coin budget? Do you ever go over this budget? Not really, but I have over done it once or twice in the past. I'm more selective of my purchases now

9. Are you more likely to buy a coin, or trade for a coin? I do both, but my traders list has dwindled this past year so buying moreso these days

10. Do you have any 'absolutely never trade' coins in your collection, or are they all fair game for a trade? Yep, lets be honest... anyone that says no is more into trading and not collecting.

I like the gold if it mixes with the colors well. Otherwise I like silver

Depends on the design.

ok, bad admission. I've only ever bought an Earthcache coin, everything else I own was either gifted to me or won in a cointest. If I did buy them, I'd just buy my favorite.

Depends on the design.

Trackable. With icon.

Again, depends on the design. I can see situations where I'd like all three.

Mostly whatever catches my eye, but if it's anyway involved with astronomy or history, it catches my eyes better. Oh and numerology.

Um, right now that budget is $0. Not sure if that will ever go up.

Trade. Problem is I usually don't have anything to trade with.

I figure if I ever get an astrolabe or any of the navigation coins, they'd be off limits. My arkansas geocachers coins is off limits. and probably the AE chinese lantern that I just won. beyond that...no idea.

Sorry, I was so boring. :laughing: I love the coins, just don't have the money to really enjoy them. 2 year old daughter tends to suck up money you know.

I usually like silver over gold and antique over polished. But I love satin finishes"

Polished Gold on Antique Silver

depends on the coin

No real preference

Doesn't matter

The coin just has to look good.

Nope

Don't have a specific budget

I generally prefer trading.

The 38 Tranqs. These will be the last coins to go if I have to sell them.

1. What is your favourite finish? antique nickel, but it does depend on the coin

2. What is your favourite 2-tone finish? don't really have a preference

Do you buy them all, or just your favourite(s)? Just my favorite unless I really love the design

4. Do you prefer round coins or shaped coins? both

5. Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable? trackable

6. Do you prefer personal coins, caching-related coins, or 'art' coins? really depends on the coin

7. Do you collect around a theme (what theme), or collect whatever catches your eye? I try to stay with symbalic and I love turtles and frogs

8. Do you have a coin budget? Do you ever go over this budget? No, but I have limited funds. So I don't really go outside that.

9. Are you more likely to buy a coin, or trade for a coin? due to the size of my collection, I mostly buy

10. Do you have any 'absolutely never trade' coins in your collection, or are they all fair game for a trade? Yes, unless I was really desperate for cash and then it would be to sell not trade.

Edited by Sportbikechick

1. What is your favourite finish? I like the antique metals better... antique copper or antique bronze, probably? I almost always like silver better than gold. But like others have said, it really depends on the coin.

2. What is your favourite 2-tone finish? I'm not a huge fan of two-tone, but maybe I just haven't seen the right coin yet!

3. Do you like to see multiple finishes offered for a coin? Do you buy them all, or just your favourite(s)? Yes, and I'll buy my favorites.

4. Do you prefer round coins or shaped coins? Generally round, but of course there are exceptions. My absolute favorite right now is tsun's Bora Bora earth turtle.

5. Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable? trackable, although I've only got two right now I'm planning on releasing, so I'm not really sure why :)

6. Do you prefer personal coins, caching-related coins, or 'art' coins? Generally art coins, but it depends on the design.

7. Do you collect around a theme (what theme), or collect whatever catches your eye? Being fairly new to this, I've been collecting whatever catches my eye. But there are definitely coins that I'll gravitate towards more: turtles, birds, national parks/benchmark coins, space exploration...

8. Do you have a coin budget? Do you ever go over this budget? No explicit budget, but I do keep track of all my purchases (and trades) in a spreadsheet, and can easily see how much I've spent and if it's time to cut back.

9. Are you more likely to buy a coin, or trade for a coin? Mostly buy right now, but I've got a few extra coins that I keep meaning to post to the trading thread.

10. Do you have any 'absolutely never trade' coins in your collection, or are they all fair game for a trade? Yes, I have some 'absolutely never trade'. Ones that have some personal meaning to me, like representing my favorite national parks, or my favorite animals. There are others I'm attached to, but would part with for the right trade.

Antique Silver mostly but sometimes the design suits another finish. I rarely get a black nickel finish -- for some reason I just don't like it.

I don't have one. I like a variety of two-tones (contrasting metals is nice but sometimes a shiny/foggy combo of the same metal is neat too)

3. Do you like to see multiple finishes offered for a coin?

Yes - gives me a choice.

Do you buy them all, or just your favourite(s)?

I tend to buy the two I like the best and then trade one away so I keep my favourite. But sometimes that's hard because once I have them in my hand, both versions are nice in their own way and I want to keep them both!

No preference of one over the other - depends on the design.

I have mostly trackable in my collection though none of them are activated. I don't really care though - if it's not trackable and I like it, then I get it.

I do like caching-related coins quite a lot - but some of the artistic coins out there are really nice so I do have those as well! I enjoy trading personals with people that I have met (in person or on the forums).

I don't collect on a specific theme, just what I like. But I have noticed that I don't care much for "cartoon-type" or suncatchers (which some people think is unusual).

I tried to do a budget but who am I kidding really?? :) Now I just put myself on self-inflicted spending freezes when I am getting out of hand. It's was a bit easier this summer because I had my personal so I could do lots of trades instead of buying.

Lately, trade. But I have to buy every once in awhile to build up my traders

There are some that were given to me as gifts that are special to me and some that I spent a long time trying to get because I liked the design. I don't think I would trade these at this point.

Thanks for the interesting post!

1. What is your favourite finish? antique silver

2. What is your favourite 2-tone finish? gold on silver

3. Do you like to see multiple finishes offered for a coin? yes, but i do not need to buy all

5. Do you prefer trackable or non-trackable? both

6. Do you prefer personal coins, caching-related coins, or 'art' coins?mix

7. Do you collect around a theme (what theme), or collect whatever catches your eye?Horses, cats and cows, but expanded to a complete zoo

My other theme is laptop, cell phone and pda

8. Do you have a coin budget? No. Do you ever go over this budget? No

9. Are you more likely to buy a coin, or trade for a coin? If i'm on time i'll buy. If it is an older one i'll try to trade.

i really have my favorites who'll always stay.