The Geomate.jr Update Kit

Geomate.jr

Been using the update kit on every run now... don't always use the GPS unit itself but to have it as a backup is very handy.

Been out many times with people who haven't loaded the run waypoints (and don't have a wireless Garmin GPS) / kids who "want a go" and .. bam. Turn the Geomate.jr on and.. there ya go. Follow the arrow.

Got to love the ... bam. Turn the Geomate. jr on and.. there ya go. Follow the arrow. SOOOOOOO appealing and it truly wants to play right now.

Warren

Before heading out this weekend, I went to run the update to pick up the newest firmware and the current database. When everything was set-up and I went to update, I had about 15 minutes worth of attempts that always ended in "Flash Programming Failed." Suddenly, one attempt caught and I got the update. After the update, I wanted to try and change databases (from All to East USA) and got stuck back in the Flash Programming Failed rut.

Are there settings or changes we can make to help ease the update process or is there another approach you can recommend?

thanks

Warren

Before heading out this weekend, I went to run the update to pick up the newest firmware and the current database. When everything was set-up and I went to update, I had about 15 minutes worth of attempts that always ended in "Flash Programming Failed." Suddenly, one attempt caught and I got the update. After the update, I wanted to try and change databases (from All to East USA) and got stuck back in the Flash Programming Failed rut.

Are there settings or changes we can make to help ease the update process or is there another approach you can recommend?

thanks

Hi

Ah, yes, the "Flash Programming Failed" message. Yep, we found a little problem on some computers (well, more the USB hardware configuration) that causes problems with the database update. Good news though! This is fixed. Please uninstall the existing Update Kit Software, go back to the web site, download the software again and install this version. You should be good to go after that.

Please go ahead and email me direct at warren@apisphere.com if I can be of any further assistance.

Cheers

Warren

Ok,go ahead,cal me stupid! But I would like to make a simple lists of questions ti clear up matters before I order my geomate.

1.it does not list cache names?

2.how accurate have people found it to be?

3.with the update kit,you run the update whenever you want,to get the latest caches?

4. are there any further things that will be added that you can talk about?

Thanks!

Ok,go ahead,cal me stupid! But I would like to make a simple lists of questions ti clear up matters before I order my geomate.

3.with the update kit,you run the update whenever you want,to get the latest caches?

Thanks!

G'day ThomasFamily102

I'm more than happy to answer your questions:

The Geomate.jr doesn't display the name of the cache, but it does display the ID or GC code of the cache. So if you are looking for a particular cache or check which cache you are going to, then you can simply scroll through or check the GC code.

Our goal with the Geomate.jr was to make something affordable, but we definately have not skimped on the GPS performance. We actually use the same GPS engine (SiRFstarIII) as many of the top end GPS units use. There have also been a lot of posting within these forums confirming the accuracy of the Geomate.jr. Like this one "Basically it has performed way above my expectations for it. The accuracy of this little unit is very impressive!"

Yep, and we refresh the updates every 24hrs. There are no additional service or subscription fees and no limit on how often you update your Geomate.jr.

Hmmmm, not really. There is a bunch of cool stuff in the works though!

I hope this helps!

Cheers

Warren

Thanks!

Hi. I know Warren answered your question, but just in case you're a little skeptical of his response since he works for the company that makes the Geomate Jr. I just wanted to tell you my opinion of this units accuracy. The accuracy of my Geomate Jr. does in fact rival the accuracy of my Delorme PN-40. I frequently geocache with my nephews and it also is at least as accurate as their units and sometimes more accurate.

As far how accurate the installed chip set goes I have only noticed one small, hmm lets call it a small observation since I don't want it to be misconstrued as a big problem for this unit. That small observation is that it does seem a tad slow in locking onto the satallites. However, once it does get a lock on the satallites then you're good to go because it holds it's satallite lock with the tenacity of a pit bull. It's a great little unit and I feel totally comfortable recommending it to my family and friends. Hopefully this helped answer your question a bit. :P

ThomasFamily: I got mine as a starter unit... and I've been very impressed with it! Add me in for the comments on the sat locks.

Believe me, I don't have $70 to just throw around, but, to put it into a different perspective, I've also bought shoes at prices more than that, only to have them hurt my feet & stay in the closet never to be worn again! My little junior has turned from an expense to an investment in no time!

btw- since ya'll know how team-geomate-junior I am.... I've gotta admit: I finally ordered a grown-up gps! Im hoping my pn-30 will be arriving today! but, i promise my junior will still be in the forefront!

ThomasFamily: I got mine as a starter unit... and I've been very impressed with it! Add me in for the comments on the sat locks.

Believe me, I don't have $70 to just throw around, but, to put it into a different perspective, I've also bought shoes at prices more than that, only to have them hurt my feet & stay in the closet never to be worn again! My little junior has turned from an expense to an investment in no time!

btw- since ya'll know how team-geomate-junior I am.... I've gotta admit: I finally ordered a grown-up gps! Im hoping my pn-30 will be arriving today! but, i promise my junior will still be in the forefront!

mahini, I believe you made a good decision. We have a PN-40 along with our geomate.jr. Between the two of them, you have your bases covered.

mahini, I believe you made a good decision. We have a PN-40 along with our geomate.jr. Between the two of them, you have your bases covered.

another day of waiting! dumb ol' columbus messed up the estimated delivery time! :D

Thanks for the answers guys,we're thinking of buying one,but arent sure. We use a 12cx for a handheld and a nuvi to get us there roadwise, with a palm for paperless. but the allure of having all the caches ready at your figertips is strong.

It's kind of a tossup, not having hints or logs to refer to can be a major thing.

if you're using a palm anyway, you're all set! That's what I've been doing.... I download the PQ into the palm, then, find the GC code from junior in the list on the palm! Granted, I've got a decent memory for things like the name & area that I saw on the map, & narrowing down my list quickly. But, yeah, its been a decent system for me!

I just bought one and was wondering what this update kit will do? Can I load a PQ to it? Can I load anything from Geochaching.com? Can I load multi"s, anything over a 2? I bought this for my Son and would like to use it when we go, but it would be nice to know these things.

Thanks

G'day to The Yinnie's

As Mahini pointed out, yep, the Geomate.jr comes preloaded with about 250,000 geocaches (traditionals only). Now this is a factory default list (it's prefiltered to only include caches that have been in place for about 6 months doesen't include anything over a difficulty 3). With the Update Kit, you CAN get the latest version of this with all the same filtering, but you could INSTEAD load a list for either east or west USA that doesn't have the time limit (everything up to 24 hrs) as well as anything up to a difficulty 4 (as Colonial Cats mentioned). Oh, and you can also load complete lists for other parts of the world.

As for PQ, we don't support them...yet... ;-)

Cheers

Warren

Thanks for the answers guys,we're thinking of buying one,but arent sure. We use a 12cx for a handheld and a nuvi to get us there roadwise, with a palm for paperless. but the allure of having all the caches ready at your figertips is strong.

It's kind of a tossup, not having hints or logs to refer to can be a major thing.

:blink:

Yes I'd like to thank everyone as well. I have just gotten started and have been using a nuvi 205 with pretty good success so far. I've been paperless as I usually use my blackberry to look at the listings and the nuvi to get me there (I have verizon and they block the gps :angry: unless you use their subscription service from what I'm told) and I thought that's how I'd continue but as I found myself walking along a river bank with my blackberry and nuvi in hand last night and slipped I thought maybe this isn't such a good idea---while I'm sure that the 'mate probably wouldn't survive a dip in one of the local rivers I can at least hang it on a lanyard, and when (not if-I'm a bit on the Klutzy side) I do drop it on the ground--it's probably be bit more rugged than the nuvi :blink:

I'll be ordering mine (with the update kit), probably next week as the nearest REI is 3 hrs away. I'm glad to hear it's good with tree cover as I'm in the Adirondacks and that's all we have almost :blink:

:blink:

Yes I'd like to thank everyone as well. I have just gotten started and have been using a nuvi 205 with pretty good success so far. I've been paperless as I usually use my blackberry to look at the listings and the nuvi to get me there (I have verizon and they block the gps :angry: unless you use their subscription service from what I'm told) and I thought that's how I'd continue but as I found myself walking along a river bank with my blackberry and nuvi in hand last night and slipped I thought maybe this isn't such a good idea---while I'm sure that the 'mate probably wouldn't survive a dip in one of the local rivers I can at least hang it on a lanyard, and when (not if-I'm a bit on the Klutzy side) I do drop it on the ground--it's probably be bit more rugged than the nuvi :blink:

I'll be ordering mine (with the update kit), probably next week as the nearest REI is 3 hrs away. I'm glad to hear it's good with tree cover as I'm in the Adirondacks and that's all we have almost :blink:

It's just a TOY. I should have realized that when I looked at the web page where you order this thing. The pages show little children. AND if you read the words on the page - it's like the person who created the pages didn't really know what the TOY was supposed to do. I really don't like the thing at all. Even though it has only three buttons, it's hard to operate. The 2 buttons on the front are too simplistic so you can push the wrong button and change the cache on the screen and then you have to go all the way around through all 20 of them to get back to the cache you want. The arrow that tells the direction to the cache is never reliable. And the lat/long coordinates are so small that you can't see them unless you are in bright sunlight.

I'll say it again - It's Just a TOY.

Edited by Sarteel

It's just a TOY. I should have realized that when I looked at the web page where you order this thing. The pages show little children. AND if you read the words on the page - it's like the person who created the pages didn't really know what the TOY was supposed to do. I really don't like the thing at all. Even though it has only three buttons, it's hard to operate. The 2 buttons on the front are too simplistic so you can push the wrong button and change the cache on the screen and then you have to go all the way around through all 20 of them to get back to the cache you want. The arrow that tells the direction to the cache is never reliable. And the lat/long coordinates are so small that you can't see them unless you are in bright sunlight.

My toy has lead me to over 100 caches so far. Works just as well as my 300 dollar toy, just not as much information.

Hi Warren...

I just got my Geomate.jr and update kit today and of course I wanted to update it right away. I downloaded the software kit, plugged in the jr and clicked on the icon. It took me to the mygeomate home page, and I clicked on Updates. I got to the update page, but... there was a problem with the page, it crashed, I got the "send this message to Microsoft" offer, then the page tried to reload, with the same results. It got into and infinite loop of crashing and reloading, until Internet Explorer stopped it. My guess would be to uninstall and retry installing the update kit, but I thought I'd ask you also.

thank you for being so helpful!

arlene

Hi Warren...

I just got my Geomate.jr and update kit today and of course I wanted to update it right away. I downloaded the software kit, plugged in the jr and clicked on the icon. It took me to the mygeomate home page, and I clicked on Updates. I got to the update page, but... there was a problem with the page, it crashed, I got the "send this message to Microsoft" offer, then the page tried to reload, with the same results. It got into and infinite loop of crashing and reloading, until Internet Explorer stopped it. My guess would be to uninstall and retry installing the update kit, but I thought I'd ask you also.

arlene

I forgot to say that every time I tried this my geomate jr would crash also and I'd have to take out the batteries and replace them in order to bring it back to life.

Hi Warren...

arlene

I forgot to say that every time I tried this my geomate jr would crash also and I'd have to take out the batteries and replace them in order to bring it back to life.

I did the uninstall/reinstall. Still get the looping crash/reload. And if I just plug the jr in with the USB update cord it crashes the jr and I have to remove the batteries... I am going to stop trying until I hear from you :-)

My toy has lead me to over 100 caches so far. Works just as well as my 300 dollar toy, just not as much information.

i've enjoyed playing with my toy as well!! And i've found the arrow to be extremely reliable! No complaints here!

Hi Warren...

arlene

G'day Arlene

Sorry to hear that! Rather than turn the forum into a 1 on 1 support thing, I went ahead and replied to your email that you sent me.

Cheers

Warren

Hi Warren...

arlene

G'day Arlene

Sorry to hear that! Rather than turn the forum into a 1 on 1 support thing, I went ahead and replied to your email that you sent me.

Cheers

Warren

Other people on this forum have said you guys are great, and now I know it first hand. Listen everybody... these guys (Warren and John) are great! Warren emailed me and we set up my computer so they could see what was going on. How patient they are! And they solved the problems! First of all the Geomate.Jr goes into a special mode when it is connected and that's why I couldn't see the screen. But that works fine now. The big update problem, with the page crashing and trying to reload was solved by... turning off the antiphishing selection on my Norton security! It took a lot of trying different things, but they did it. Then Warren walked me through updating and selecting the eastern US. I am all set for adventure :-)

THANK YOU so much to Warren and John for all their help, and for creating an affordable and FUN tool. Get out there, indeed!

Does it irritate anybody that you can not download information from geocaching.com into the Geomate?

I find it surprising. They sell it but they don't download into it.

Geocaching.com can only download information into a high end GPS like Garmin.

With the update kit you can download 250000 caches everyday.

As for PQ, we don't support them...yet... ;-)

Cheers

Warren

Now I'm interested again.

Any idea how this would be implemented?

Special section for Premium Members or uploading or PQs directly to it?

If we have the ability to upload our PQs directly to it then I'm sure I can alter the gpx to include "Practice Caches" for my son.

Now I'm watching.

Got a feature update mailing list I can subscribe to?

Sorry this isn't quite the right forum for this question but I am about to run out the door.

Is there a way to see what chaches in my area are part of the 250,000 factory loaded caches? I am an impulse buyer and I may like to use it this weekend, but I don't know if I can get the update kit at my local REI right now.

I have an eTrex Legend H, but I have given it to a friend to use for a week or so. I am thinking of letting her keep it and use the geomate jr instead. However, if feels kind of silly to make a down grade. I should add that I also always have my iPhone with me and have the geocaching app on it.

Sorry this isn't quite the right forum for this question but I am about to run out the door.

Is there a way to see what chaches in my area are part of the 250,000 factory loaded caches? I am an impulse buyer and I may like to use it this weekend, but I don't know if I can get the update kit at my local REI right now.

I have an eTrex Legend H, but I have given it to a friend to use for a week or so. I am thinking of letting her keep it and use the geomate jr instead. However, if feels kind of silly to make a down grade. I should add that I also always have my iPhone with me and have the geocaching app on it.

With the update kit there are two options. I'm not sure of the exact parameters but this is how I remember it.

All of US update

250000 caches

All traditionals

Terrain and Difficulty less than 2.5

Older than 8 months old

higher than 80% find rate

Eastern or Western US update

250000 caches

All traditionals

Terrain and Difficulty less than 4.5

no limit on date placed or find rate.

My numbers might be off a bit but you can get the general idea.

I don't know of any way to see them other than to start up the geomateJR and see the 20 closest to you.

Hi Warren,

I have another cache that won't load with the update kit and I've updated a few times and can't seem to figure out why. It's GC20FZ7. Has a size listed, difficulty and terrain both 2.

I absolutely LOVE my Jr! Thanks for all your support and a great product! B)

Thanks!

OH Team

Hi Warren,

I have another cache that won't load with the update kit and I've updated a few times and can't seem to figure out why. It's GC20FZ7. Has a size listed, difficulty and terrain both 2.

I absolutely LOVE my Jr! Thanks for all your support and a great product! B)

Thanks!

OH Team

Checking into it... Stand by!

Sorry you seem to think so, because I'm well over 40, the buttons make perfect sense, I can see the coordinates just fine, and the arrow is more reliable and accurate than apps for either an iPhone or BlackBerry. It's also quite affordable, which is great. I use my GeoMate in tandem with my BlackBerry.....use the Berry GPS to get close enough to walk, then whip out the GeoMate and get to the cache.

Now if you're a hardcore backwoods hiker type you probably want something with more maps on it and a better display, etc. etc. But if you're caching around urban areas and money is tight the GeoMate is a TERRIFIC deal and works great.

I would agree with Hakali, I'm 60 plus years old and find I'm using the Geomate more than I do my Garmin. It's quick to grab and go; I can keep track of my finds and the fact that I don't have to manually put in the coordinates is a great plus. I sure can't complain that it lacks accuracy either. It works for me.

Picked up my update kit today at REI (and forgot to get my discount, oh well) and other than an initial issue with the port not seeing the unit correctly, that had to be the EASIEST update for a handheld device ever. Awesome job!

WOOHOO now I can go find some caches that are new that my Berry has trouble with!

Hi Warren,

I absolutely LOVE my Jr! Thanks for all your support and a great product! :laughing:

Thanks!

OH Team

Hi OH Team

We took a look at the list and the cache you mentioned should be part of the Eastern USA list. Are you using the Eastern USA list?? If you are and the cache insists on not showing up, please email me direct at warren@apisphere.com and we'll work out what is going on. (Just trying to avoid turning the forums into a direct support channel...)

Cheers

Warren

Warren,

We are having trouble with our update kit. We had ordered one in November and updated our unit. It worked the first time then the red light on the update kit would not come on the second time we attempted to update. We contacted you and you sent a replacement update kit to us and I returned the first one. The replacement kit we have used about 3 times. I plugged it into do an update today and I am having the same issue that I did the first time - the red light is not on and the update page says that it is unable to connect. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Team cdogg0805

Reviving this old thread. After updates, my Geomate still does not list a nearby cache: GCJXM3 (level 1).

Could someone at Geomate check this for me please? Thanks.

Hi Warren, It's me again! Today I went out to find some caches and again found the specific ones I went looking for not loaded. The update I am choosing is USA Eastern

Here is the list of missing caches. Maybe that will help you figure out why they are not loading. Have to assume there are others not loading besides these. I just know these since I specifically went to find them.

GCNE9J 3 Dif 3 Ter

GCW9WF 3 Dif 2 1/2 Ter

GC1X09H 2 1/2 Dif 1 1/2 Ter

GC1XYHW 1 1/2 Dif 1 1/2 Ter

GC1QZRD 3 1/2 Dif 1 1/2 Ter

GC1WQA5 1 Dif 1 1/2 Ter

I still LOVE my Geomate Jr! And I still LOVE the update kit!

Thanks!

Thanks for letting me know about this - the list of missing geocaches helps a lot and it appears that they should be a part of the list. We have a theory and are checking into it as we speak. Standby!!

Cheers

Warren

G'day All

Well, we've taken a look, found the hiccup, and have already fixed it. Any updates from now on should contain all expected geocaches. A big thanks to the OH Team for bringing this to our attention!

Cheers

Warren

Reviving this old thread. After updates, my Geomate still does not list a nearby cache: GCJXM3 (level 1).

Could someone at Geomate check this for me please? Thanks.

Maybe because the size is not identified for the cache? Just a thought.

So...been thinking what I could blow some money on and was thinking about the Geomate Jr. Hunted up this thread and wanted to check in with everyone and ask what they think of them now that they have had them awhile.

Early, early adopter and still tickled ... have two ... one for me to use and a second which is always on loan for evaluative purposes.

So...been thinking what I could blow some money on and was thinking about the Geomate Jr. Hunted up this thread and wanted to check in with everyone and ask what they think of them now that they have had them awhile.

Early, early adopter and still tickled ... have two ... one for me to use and a second which is always on loan for evaluative purposes.

I have been unable to update for over a week (since 5/28). Seems they are having software problems.

Edited by LarryandJanet